PDA

View Full Version : New Fork Seals leaking???

McVaaahhh
Mon May 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I pulled the forks apart on my F2 project to powder coat the outer tubes. Naturally I put new fork seals in when I put it back together, but now both of them are leaking.

I can think of 3 possibilities for why:

Cheap ebay fork seals
I installed them wrong
Cooking the lower tubes at 350 deg changed their shapeI'm leaning towards #1 because they were cheap and I don't think I could have installed them incorrectly even though it was my first time doing so. It's pretty straight-forward how they go in. Also, the fit on the outer tube was quite tight so I don't believe that they changed shape on me.

Any thoughts? Could I have installed them incorrectly?

Thanks! :up:

Devaclis
Mon May 5th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Are the inner tubes pitted?

rybo
Mon May 5th, 2008, 10:00 AM

DING!

Probably the winner.

If the chrome on the inner tubes is damaged it cuts fork seals very easily. Emery cloth is usually a good way to polish the tubes and remove these small burrs.

Another option is that there really is a special tool called a fork seal driver that should be used to replace the seals. It assures that the seals are driven in perfectly straight to avoid binding and tearing. Most people don't have this in their toolbox.

Finally too much fork oil can cause the seals to blow, but I doubt you messed this up as you're conscious about measuring.

s

D Berns R6
Mon May 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
The guys at Faster! Motosports have all those tools.....

McVaaahhh
Mon May 5th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Inner tubes is probably not the culprit as the original seals were not leaking, and the bike had not been moved since I installed the seals (without a driver). The bike was sitting on a stand and I had to move it so I dropped it off the stand and put it on the kick stand. Couple of days later I noticed the leaks.

I think I'll get/borrow a fork seal driver and get some new seals. Probably even run an emory cloth on the inner tubes as well per Scott's suggestion.

The guys at Faster! Motosports have all those tools.....

Yeah, but I'm a lot cheaper than Faster! :D

rybo
Mon May 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Brian,

Use the finest grained emery cloth you can find, get the seals in perfectly straight and you should be fine.

scott

D Berns R6
Mon May 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah, but I'm a lot cheaper than Faster! :D

Touche!

eklew
Mon May 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
DING!

Another option is that there really is a special tool called a fork seal driver that should be used to replace the seals. It assures that the seals are driven in perfectly straight to avoid binding and tearing. Most people don't have this in their toolbox.

Holy shit, I have a fork seal driver! I guess I am not most people. Also it is not HF Scott! Hey Brian, I have changed some fork seals, let me know if you need to borrow the driver. Should be the same diameter as I have a 98 Gixxer 6 with standard forks.

McVaaahhh
Mon May 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Holy shit, I have a fork seal driver! I guess I am not most people. Also it is not HF Scott! Hey Brian, I have changed some fork seals, let me know if you need to borrow the driver. Should be the same diameter as I have a 98 Gixxer 6 with standard forks.

Definitely!

TFOGGuys
Mon May 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Sorry, GSXR600s use 45mm seals, F2s use 41mm seals, so most likely the driver is not going to work.....

McVaaahhh
Mon May 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Sorry, GSXR600s use 45mm seals, F2s use 41mm seals, so most likely the driver is not going to work.....

Damn Jim, you're killing me with facts. :guns:

eklew
Mon May 5th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Damn, sorry B, can't help you out after all. Thanks Jim for chiming in before I let him use the driver.

pilot
Mon May 5th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Brian,

Use the finest grained emery cloth you can find, get the seals in perfectly straight and you should be fine.

scott500-600 grit.

highpsi03
Tue May 6th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Mine blew after i replaced them.. I found it to be the fact that i put to much oil in.. I didn't drain all the oil out. I added in the correct amount, and didn't measure the oil like you are supposed to. So i re-did the seals, and got all the oil out, added in the correct amount, and measured it this time.. So far so good..