PDA

View Full Version : Suspention 101 ?

BlueDevil
Wed May 14th, 2003, 11:46 AM
So I have been putting alot of time and energy into the 1 and getting it to the best performance possible on my budget. I cant afford Ohlins suspention so Ill have to make due with my stock.

My suspention is at stock settings at this point. I want to set it up correctly to my body. I am happy with the stock settings but have never changed them so I dont know any better. I have read article after article explaining how to set up suspention. Only problem I dont understand it....... Sag, rebound, yada yada. They say set the sag..... I say huh? If anyone would like to take the time to explain how to set my suspention up in detailed explanation, I would GREATLY appreciate it. When U say set sag......What do I turn, what direction do I turn, what should I expect when I turn.....etc? Pics work great too.

I have an 02R1. Stock suspention front and rear. My weight with gear on is 200lbs. Any assistance is welcome. Track time is increasing as summer gets nearer and I really feel to improve my skills I need to get this right, and can not afford to take to spend hundreds of dollars to get it set up right.........Thanks in advance all.

yakuza
Wed May 14th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Setting the sag is described in numerous tutorials and articles, in fact I just read over this one I found on Google and it looks pretty informative:
http://www.racebikesite.com/motorcycle-modifications.htm

My Penske shock came with instructions on how to adjust it. They recommended starting with both rebound and compression at full soft, and then gradually adding compression damping until the suspension feels harsh, then back it off a bit. Next, gradually add rebound damping until it stops "floating" or riding like a Cadillac.

Suspension is a science, it's basically going to take some trial and error until you recognize what you like to feel. I'd be willing to help you play with settings the next time we meet at the track. :)

BlueDevil
Wed May 14th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Thanks Yakuza.....I remember all the times U were tweekin your suspention after U got it put on. Im prepared for it to take some time to perfect it. In order to get there I got to start sometime. haha

Any tips U can give at the track as always will be greatly appreciated.

Are there any specific tools needed? Just curious. Cant walk with no legs U know. :lol:

BTW: Diff subject. THe last time U recorded a time for IMI....What was it? Last year U had me by 3 - 4 seconds and Im sure U have improved since......just curious where I stand on the itty bitty track. haha

yakuza
Wed May 14th, 2003, 01:10 PM
The best time I did at IMI last fall was I think a low 1:05, as recorded by Jack (rocktboy) on a stopwatch. I've got my laptimer now, so next time we're out we can get some good laptime measurements. :)

Your bike should have come with a toolkit containing all the tools you'll need to make adjustments. You might look through the owners manual to be sure you know the location of all the adjusters. Start with setting your sag, get a buddy or two to come over and help you do it. Then when you're next at the track you can try different settings and see what you like.

BlueDevil
Wed May 14th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Ahhh damn still whoopin me on the 600. haha Stopwatch time best was 107. Getting there huh. Ofcourse Ill be 15+ seconds behind U at second creek......haha Only ridden there twice.

Anyway, thanks for your tips. Im gonna work on this on Friday depending on weather. If warm Im hittin the track. If crappy Ill stay in the garage and strart this process. Your article was pretty good. I read another and it was hard to understand. Should have been in German. haha

I printed your and will follow it to see where it gets me. Let me know when U can hit the track Ill try my best to meet up with you.

yakuza
Wed May 14th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Sunday the 25th at SCR!!! And maybe even Monday, follow that thread in the Trackdays section...

BlueDevil
Wed May 14th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Cool I read that this morning. Metro powersports is having $5.00 Dyno tests that day so Im gonna hit that for sure. Then Im going to try and head down to SCR. U be there all day or just half?

yakuza
Wed May 14th, 2003, 01:30 PM
I don't know, it depends on whether I want to ride Monday too, or maybe go to IMI on Monday, hmmm. I'll post in the other thread for sure.

Hoopty
Wed May 14th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Cool I read that this morning. Metro powersports is having $5.00 Dyno tests that day so Im gonna hit that for sure. Then Im going to try and head down to SCR. U be there all day or just half?

What day is Metro powersports doing the Dyno, Memorial day?

BlueDevil
Wed May 14th, 2003, 02:52 PM
No day before. Sun the 25th

DucBloke
Wed May 14th, 2003, 04:00 PM
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/techcafe.jhtml?detail=article&value=theory&part=general&artID=5

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/techcafe.jhtml?detail=article&value=theory&part=general&artID=8

rocktboy
Thu May 15th, 2003, 10:44 AM
So I have been putting alot of time and energy into the 1 and getting it to the best performance possible on my budget. I cant afford Ohlins suspention so Ill have to make due with my stock.

My suspention is at stock settings at this point. I want to set it up correctly to my body. I am happy with the stock settings but have never changed them so I dont know any better. I have read article after article explaining how to set up suspention. Only problem I dont understand it....... Sag, rebound, yada yada. They say set the sag..... I say huh? If anyone would like to take the time to explain how to set my suspention up in detailed explanation, I would GREATLY appreciate it. When U say set sag......What do I turn, what direction do I turn, what should I expect when I turn.....etc? Pics work great too.

I have an 02R1. Stock suspention front and rear. My weight with gear on is 200lbs. Any assistance is welcome. Track time is increasing as summer gets nearer and I really feel to improve my skills I need to get this right, and can not afford to take to spend hundreds of dollars to get it set up right.........Thanks in advance all.

go to r1forum.com and do a search on suspension settings. it might even be a sticky there by now. there are tons of good r1 stock suspension setup posts....