PDA

View Full Version : Overheating? Power loss?

Flyin Hawaiian
Mon May 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM
On my way home from work my ride started to heat up after approx. 10-15min of riding. It felt like I was losing a significant amount of power. After finally making it home, I got a strong smell of gas from my bike. When the bike is cold, it idles normal. Once it is warm it starts to spudder and takes longer to rev up.

The night before I changed my oil. While changing my oil, the bike did fall to the kick stand side and landed on a box(Thankfully not on the concrete). Are there any things to look for after a tip over?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Gary

Devaclis
Mon May 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Dude, I had a very similar thing happen with my Hawk. Best guesses were spun bearings but I never pulled the motor apart to check.

Flyin Hawaiian
Mon May 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Did you ever get it fixed? Did you have a tip over?

Devaclis
Mon May 5th, 2008, 02:14 PM
No tip over. It was an older bike. The motor still runs fine but I have not taken her for a real ride since she overheated. Best thing to do would be to get a pro mechanics opinion. I am no pro mechanic. I tied my boots together this morning. I have also put on two belts to go to a job interview. I think someone else will be a lot more qualified than I :)

dragos13
Mon May 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM
On my way home from work my ride started to heat up after approx. 10-15min of riding. It felt like I was losing a significant amount of power. After finally making it home, I got a strong smell of gas from my bike. When the bike is cold, it idles normal. Once it is warm it starts to spudder and takes longer to rev up.

The night before I changed my oil. While changing my oil, the bike did fall to the kick stand side and landed on a box(Thankfully not on the concrete). Are there any things to look for after a tip over?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Gary

How does the oil and coolant look now? milk shake?

Was the bike running when it tipped over? If so, for how long?

rforsythe
Mon May 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM
What kind of bike?

Flyin Hawaiian
Mon May 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
98 F3SE
12,500 mi.
Oil looks good as it was just changed.
Coolant looks OK. I will get a better look tomorrow.

I appreciate everyones info. KEEP it coming so I can get this fixed.

cromer611
Thu May 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM
well, while its idling does it sound like the idle is dropping? like idling at 1500rpms then 1000-1300rpm? I had this problem with my yamaha r6 once, which is actually kinda common.

1)what i did was pulled my spark plugs, plugged them into the coils/caps.
2)Hold the plug to the case/frame bolt or sumthin and cranked it.
3)I watched the plug closely and noticed that it was arcing through the rubber BEFORE the spark plug.
4)electricity loves the path of least resistance. So after saying this, the electricity will take a B-line through the rubber and into the cylinder head.

the smell of gas might be the cyclinder, which is miss-firing, being loaded full of unburnt gas.

at idle it will idle fine except for a occasional idle drop (arcing to the cylinder)

hope this helps. if not you can give me a kick swift in the ass : P
Erik

Flyin Hawaiian
Thu May 15th, 2008, 02:12 PM
What did you do to solve the problem. I will pick up my new K&N tonight and see if that is the problem.