PDA

View Full Version : front tire break in..?

mcg_916
Tue May 6th, 2008, 06:45 PM
just curious as to what the proper breaking in process is for a new front tire. all ive really heard is "go easy the first few miles", im a bit hesitant to go thru corners fast though because im not exactly sure how i am suppose to go easy on the very edge of my front tire.

rforsythe
Tue May 6th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Just lean over a bit more each time so that you progressively scrub off the sealing compound.

Humbucker
Tue May 6th, 2008, 07:52 PM
All I do is find a flat long road with good visibility for a mile or so and at 20 to 30 mph or so do a slow weave with the bike, tipping it over a little more each time for as long as I feel safe (not bouncing the suspension) or not attracting attention (soccer moms calling the cops). This is for new front and back tires just to wear off the gloss, great to warm them up too. For the front I have just braked hard at a stop in my neighborhood (10 mph or less) a few times just to make sure the new tire gloss is off.

Making sure they are warm is something to always have in mind in the first ten minuets of a ride. This wakes me up faster than coffey at 6:15 in the morning. Cold rear tire stepping out a foot to the right first thing!

After that its up to speed, lean angle and testicle size. You'll know when you have gone too far. Oh shit!

Nick_Ninja
Tue May 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Ride down a gravel road for say 5 miles. That'll do it. :D