PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans ... ?

Sully
Wed May 7th, 2008, 12:10 PM
So I'm headed to New Orleans soon... tell me, what type of things should I definitely do or see while I'm there ?

Devaclis
Wed May 7th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Bring hip waders and condoms. Oh, and penicillin.

UglyDogRacing
Wed May 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Dirtiest city i have ever been to and that was long before Katrina. Mardi Gras and New Years there were disgusting but still a blast. You just got to leave your morals and standards at home. Take Dana's advice and bring lots of condoms and penicillin...and probably a gun.

Suki
Wed May 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM
So I'm headed to New Orleans soon... tell me, what type of things should I definitely do or see while I'm there ?

You should definitely do Brad Pitt while out there :hump:

Devaclis
Wed May 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
^^ hahah And Harry Connick Jr?

Suki
Wed May 7th, 2008, 12:49 PM
no ways, he looks like he has the clap.

MetaLord 9
Wed May 7th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hit up Pat O'briens, the Cathedral, the riverfront down by Jax Brewery, Cafe du Monde, Bourbon's not bad, Canal street's decent. Tulane's pretty as is the Garden district. There's probbby more, but those are a good start. Adubon Zoo's nice. I used to live down around there & a buddy of mine still does so I can hit him up for a list of good non-touristy restaurants where there food is worth eat'n if you want

Dietrich_R1
Wed May 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Was there this last summer! Had a BLAST!!!

1) Be prepared to drink LOTS!

2) KILN, MS: About 45 minutes to the east of MSY & if you blink you'll miss the exit cuz it's that small. Home town of BRENT FARVRE. Drink @ the "Broke Spoke".

Three HOT chicks walked in & I told the bartender they raise'm right around these parts. His response, "Them ain't local girls cuz they still gots all their teeth"!!!!! One of them then proceeded to show us her "stuff" & proposition us for $30.00! The bartender was cool as hell!

3) Make sure you do a swamp/eco tour.

~Barn~
Wed May 7th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Donate a few hours, helping some folks who are rebuilding their home.

Matty
Wed May 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM
bring an empty stomach....... food out there is amazing.

Mmmmmm.... crawdads.

puckstr
Wed May 7th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Sully.

Be aware of your surroundings. If you go to Bourbon Street DO NOT wander off to far off to the side streets. I do not know the street name (very very drunk).

Anyway Just stay alert and safe and you will keep your wallet.

Sully
Wed May 7th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Great, Thanks guys...

penicillin - check
condoms - check
gun - check

Looks like I'm good to go ! Now where do I buy that Dana voodoo doll ? muahahahah ! :devil2:

Raptor
Wed May 7th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Eat real Cajun food.
Drink a lot of Dixie beer.
Don't 'piss off any cops.
Get a rook put on someone you know by a local voodoo priestess. wheee
Drink more Dixie beer.
Check out the NOLA rock/metal scene...if you're into that.

Raptor
Wed May 7th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Great, Thanks guys...

penicillin - check
condoms - check
gun - check

Looks like I'm good to go ! Now where do I buy that Dana voodoo doll ? muahahahah ! :devil2:

LMAO! We on the same page! All you really need are some Dana artifacts, ie. strand of hair, nail clipping, piece of clothing etc.. They got all the voodoo dolls you need just waiting for personalization.

Sortarican
Wed May 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Don't 'piss off any cops....

+1 Crookedest police force in America.
They'll pull a Roy Buchanan on ya.

Sully
Wed May 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM
LMAO! We on the same page! All you really need are some Dana artifacts, ie. strand of hair, nail clipping, piece of clothing etc.. They got all the voodoo dolls you need just waiting for personalization.

I have one of his emply 40 bottles, wonder if that will work ? :cheers:

Devaclis
Wed May 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I have some pubes I can donate. I hear they are getting $5 each for them up at the Fort Collins PubeFest

MetaLord 9
Wed May 7th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Get yourself some jumalaya, gumbo, and crawfish etoufe'. And don't eat any chain restaurants. Gumbo shop was good. if you can find it, Jaques Imo's was pretty good too.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Wed May 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
One word. Beads!

Suki
Wed May 7th, 2008, 06:18 PM
:boobies: and get lots of 'em!!!

ChrisCBX
Wed May 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Check out the NOLA rock/metal scene...if you're into that.

The band Down is cool.

If you visit a voodoo shop, visit a real one (not a tourist shop). The real ones are interesting.:shock:

MetaLord 9
Wed May 7th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah, if you can speak Cajun or whatever the hell the speak in Chalmette...

Vitesse
Wed May 7th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I'm from New Orleans. Here are my recommendations...

Have a hurricane at Patty O'briens
Hit up Cafe Du Monde for beignets and coffee
Ralph and Kacoo's in the French Quarter is my favorite restaurant ever!
House of Blues
Cat's Meow for some fun karaoke
Stop at Central Grocery for a Muffuletta sandwich and sit in Jackson square park to eat
Aquarium of the Americas
Audubon Zoo

MetaLord 9
Thu May 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Blue, from where in the New Orleans? actually in the city or in Metarie or something?

64BonnieLass
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I'm heading out for a Data Warehouse conference on Saturday - Tuesday.

Sully...what was your experience?

From the sounds of what some have posted here, not sure I wanna walk around at night by myself.

rforsythe
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Walking around at night is fine, just be aware of your surroundings. If it's well lit and well populated, you'll be fine. If it looks like a dark alley, unknown park, etc don't go there at night. One park in particular not far from Bourbon St is known for being unfriendly to white folk after sundown.

The whole French Quarter is a blast! Enjoy yourself!

Sully
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
A group of us walked around Bourbon Street, which was fine, IN A GROUP of people... I wouldn't wander off alone though. I walked around by myself during the day for some sightseeing and shopping, I felt safe enough.

If you like Chargrilled Oysters, definitely try Dragos at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside Hotel... :drool: :yumyum:

Devaclis
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 11:53 AM
BAN FOR BRINGING BACK OLD THREADS!!!

DONNA BAN THEM!!!

puckstr
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Walking around at night is fine, just be aware of your surroundings. If it's well lit and well populated, you'll be fine. If it looks like a dark alley, unknown park, etc don't go there at night. One park in particular not far from Bourbon St is known for being unfriendly to white folk after sundown.

The whole French Quarter is a blast! Enjoy yourself!

+100

Years ago I was a couple of blocks or so off of Burbon street ,and things got very very nasty (agressive).

The Big Easy is a fun place but WATCH YOUR SELF and be aware of your surroundings..

Do not go alone.

And when you are told.
"I bet you $5 I can tell you where you gots dem Shoes."

Say "Yeah I have Dem on My Feets."

64BonnieLass
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Why I outta....:slap:. I'm not bringing back anything for you.

Oh wait, somebody mentioned earlier some voo doo shops. Okay, I AM bringing something back for you. You are just gonna love it!

puckstr
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Why I outta....:slap:. I'm not bringing back anything for you.

Oh wait, somebody mentioned earlier some voo doo shops. Okay, I AM bringing something back for you. You are just gonna love it!

you talkin to me?
http://ticklebooth.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/you-talking-to-me.jpg

VFR
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Just remember they are still recovering there and make sure you are with a GROUP at night. Stay in the tourist places during the night and venture during the day. The people who work in the hotel (if you stay in one) will tell you whats safe and where not to go. French Quarters FTW

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 12:22 PM
the brewery, Pat O's, bourbon (to say you've done it) but only half of it (the other half Anne turns Andy.)

64BonnieLass
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
you talkin to me?

:lol: I was talking to D.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I will have some time during the day to see the place. I think it will be a very interesting little city to experience.

French Quarter on the list, I will check out Pat O.'s. The House of Blues sounds like a blast, but that would require "alone time" on the streets getting back to the hotel. Sounds too fun to pass up though so I will figure something out on that one.

But I am excited to eat some real cajun food (the stuff without eyeballs and whiskers lookin up at me)

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM
mmmmm etoufee!

64BonnieLass
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 01:14 PM
mmmmm etoufee!

What is that Chris? (say it isn't eyeballs)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
What is that Chris? (say it isn't eyeballs)

Definition: A spicy and delicious Cajun stew traditionally made with crawfish, vegetables and a dark roux. Étouffée is usually served over rice. The word comes from the French étouffer, which means to smother.

~Barn~
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM
It's Cajun fare not unlike gumbo, but I believe it's normally a little less soupy, more rice.

Crawfish, shrimp, and sausage are often cornerstone ingredients.
:yumyum:

rforsythe
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 01:23 PM
If you can, get there on Friday too. I was there on Halloween several years back and, well, holy crap. It's a one-night Mardi Gras. Bourbon St filled up with a hundred thousand costumed freaks. The day after's gonna be pretty boring while they clean up the puke and spilled liquor and everyone recovers, but 10/31 is a party like no other down there. Seriously, move your flight. It's completely worth it.

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM
It's FUCKING delicious (like most cajun fare!) that's what it is! :drool:

rapparee
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM
If you can, get there on Friday too.
I get in at 5 on Friday, spent more time there than I care to admit:)
Terri if you get some time I will be there until Monday PM me for my number, me knows da good bars.

64BonnieLass
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I get in at 5 on Friday, spent more time there than I care to admit:)
Terri if you get some time I will be there until Monday PM me for my number, me knows da good bars.

Oh yea, freeking SCHWEET. I come in Saturday night and leave Tuesday afternoon. Let's doeet!!!! PM SENT. Whoo hoo.

(Personal body gaurd - CHECK)

VFR
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 04:14 PM
If you don't eat....Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffe, Catfish, and Broiled/Steamed Crawdads while your there you went for nothing.

64BonnieLass
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Yea, so what is the difference between a crawfish and a crawdad. Both have little beady eyes and are not going into my mouth.

The rest I can handle. :)

rapparee
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM
so what is the difference between a crawfish and a crawdad.
Mudbug is mudbug, no difference.