PDA

View Full Version : Quick questions....

madvlad
Fri May 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM
What kind of tires do you guys recommend for daily commuting (rain/cold/hot etc) that will last pretty good and that are also good for canyon carving? I have a set of Dunlop qualifiers but that rear tire lasted me only like 4 months lol, the stock Bridgestone tire that came with the bike lasted me almost 9k lol.... so yea just looking into some input for tires that are well worth it and could last longer since I ride quite a bit.....

Also how hard is it to do a Do It yourself install a PCIII on a 07' GSXR600?

Thanks in advance guys!

rybo
Fri May 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I would look at some of the sport touring tires. Probably more than plenty sticky and better life for commuting and better tread for wet conditions.

Pirelli diablo strada
Metzeler Z6
Michelin Pilot Road
Bridgestone BT020
Dunlop D220

are all decent sport touring tires. I've owned the Metzeler, the Michelin and the Dunlop and liked them in that order. The Metzeler was downright impressive. I'd personally avoid owning another set of D220's

PCIII install not hard, but I highly recommend you see Clarkie and get it set up right for your bike. The stock maps don't hold a candle to the custom maps. Some of the best money you'll spend on your bike!

s

Devaclis
Fri May 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Metzler MEZ6

dirkterrell
Fri May 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Michelin Pilot Road 2 (not Pilot Road). I have them on the VFR and they are nice tires. Dual compound gives long commuting life with sticky edges.

Dirk

dragos13
Fri May 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
+1 for Michelin

I used the 2CT's on my old street bike, however I was more worried about grip then long life. I hear they wear too quick, in most opinions. They will STICK GREAT, thats for sure.

Also, like RYBO said, unless you are getting a custom map once you install the power commander its pretty much a waste of time. The PC allows for optimum tuning. Bring it to Faster Motosports if you need any help. They will show you the pre-tune dyno run compared to the post-tune dyno. 303-825-0975

madvlad
Fri May 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the tire input guys!.... as for the PCIII I ask because I don't want to pay a shop absurd amounts of money that I don't have for install. I just want the bike to run a bit better and smoother. I have 14k on it and a K&N filter so I just want it to run to optimum standards.

G35CO
Fri May 9th, 2008, 02:47 PM
+1 for Michelin pilot Road 2

dragos13
Fri May 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the tire input guys!.... as for the PCIII I ask because I don't want to pay a shop absurd amounts of money that I don't have for install. I just want the bike to run a bit better and smoother. I have 14k on it and a K&N filter so I just want it to run to optimum standards.

If you can get the PCIII installed and working on your own you still have a couple options. The stock map is going to suck. Faster can do a full tune for something around $250 and, trust me, its worth every penny.

If you can't go that route, find someone who has the same bike as you with similar add-ons that has already been tuned. Then you can just use their map. That will atleast bring out some of the hidden power that the PC's are suppose to bring.

rybo
Fri May 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM
The best part of the pc install for me wasn't the extra power, but the better throttle response and better modulation of the throttle. less light switch, more faucet!

Faster is a great option in Denver, and I'll pimp Clarkie again here too, especially if you're north of the city. His typical custom map (w/o hardware install) is $210.

He found almost 8 HP on my R6, but that's not the part I notice most.

madvlad
Fri May 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Once the dyno-tune is done on it, how long can one expect that sweet power adjustment to last?

madvlad
Fri May 9th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'm certainly looking for better response, the bike just seems to completely bog out in the low end, it's horrible and it takes FOREVER to get up to speed too.... I'm just looking to get it to run smoother and perhaps help the power band a bit more too.... it's just killing me AHHH!!! :banghead:

The best part of the pc install for me wasn't the extra power, but the better throttle response and better modulation of the throttle. less light switch, more faucet!

Faster is a great option in Denver, and I'll pimp Clarkie again here too, especially if you're north of the city. His typical custom map (w/o hardware install) is $210.

He found almost 8 HP on my R6, but that's not the part I notice most.

rybo
Fri May 9th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Tuned is tuned. The map is made for your bike and should essentially be good forever, provided no other major changes. Get your air filter/ exhaust situation sorted first and then get the map made.

madvlad
Fri May 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Yea, I guess a PCIII would make more sense if I added the exhaust system to it.

rybo
Fri May 9th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Either way is good, but if you change the exhaust system you'll need a different map / tune

madvlad
Fri May 9th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Thing is that I might have an R1 by next summer so I don't want to put too much money into this bike. I just simply want it to run smooth and with quicker response.