PDA

View Full Version : Aging of the Eyes

FZRguy
Mon May 12th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Happens to everyone eventually. I can see fine distance-wise with contacts but I can’t see shit up close with them. I wear one power for work and another for play, and I have to take them out for any kind of up close detail vision. Working on my bikes is a glasses on, glasses off kind of deal. My eye doc suggested reading glasses to wear while wearing my contacts, but I refuse to wear contacts and glasses at the same time! A buddy of mine got bifocals and could not get used to them...waste of $500. Lasik correction for distance and reading glasses seems like a good alternative. Any you other foggers do this?

Nick_Ninja
Mon May 12th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Just went back to the eye doc after a six year hiatus. Went up +.25 on the bifocal. Nice to be able to read again ---- and see the tack on the instrument panel.

Got the new Rx last Sat afternoon. The orbits are finally settling down to the point it doesn't feel like I'm walking around on acid anymore :D

Mental
Mon May 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I'm an AF flyer and a lot of the guys in my career feild ended up there becuase of vision. A few years back the AF endorsed and began to pay for Lasik. So I know a lot of guys who have had it done, and they love it. Not all of them have ended up 20/20 buut they all improved. One of the biggest joys I have heard from them them is not having to grab for their glasses in the morning to see the alarm clock.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 14th, 2008, 10:24 AM
......it doesn't feel like I'm walking around on acid anymore :D
....SUUUUUURE it doesn't!:shocked::)

CanAm
Thu May 15th, 2008, 05:10 AM
A buddy of mine got bifocals and could not get used to them...waste of $500.
Are you referring to bifocal contacts or glasses? I tried the bifocal contacts and could not get used to them. They just didn't work as well as bifocal glasses. I have tried the mono-vision approach too, one contact for close up and one for distance. Your brain will learn to switch eyes, but it is a crappy solution for a number of reasons. My eye doctor says he has never found a contact solution that does it all well. Haven't made the plunge for Lasik yet.

CBRSue
Thu May 15th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Happens to everyone eventually. I can see fine distance-wise with contacts but I can’t see shit up close with them. I wear one power for work and another for play, and I have to take them out for any kind of up close detail vision. Working on my bikes is a glasses on, glasses off kind of deal. My eye doc suggested reading glasses to wear while wearing my contacts, but I refuse to wear contacts and glasses at the same time! A buddy of mine got bifocals and could not get used to them...waste of $500. Lasik correction for distance and reading glasses seems like a good alternative. Any you other foggers do this?

These might help!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu May 15th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I notice as I've gotten older, when I go to a bar, the "beer-goggles" tend to be more effective (and needed).......

FZRguy
Thu May 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Well, that does kinda look like me Sue. My friend could not get used to bifocal glasses. Yeah, my doc mentioned the mono bit…just doesn’t sound safe at speed.

FZRguy
Thu May 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Haven't made the plunge for Lasik yet.

If you do and your eyesight changes again, you’ve got the same prob. :dunno:

Clovis
Thu May 15th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Has anyone here has Lasik or similar? I've worn contacts for the past 10 years and have considered it.

Is it worth it? How did insurance work with it? 20/20 for everyone? :)

-Clov