PDA

View Full Version : I wanna be a tard!

teamhypoxia
Tue May 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I really really want to do this....
But we're talking a severely restrained budget here.

So I have this friend with an '02 DRZ 400 that he says he'll sell me for ~$1500. Would this make a decent tard?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch between dirt/motard with few minutes worth of wrenching. From what I understand, you can buy "caliper relocaters" that will allow you to basically change out the wheels and use the same caliper for both disks. Does this hold true for a DRZ?

And, given the aforementioned severely restrained budget, what are the chances of me finding a used motard conversion for this bike?

teamhypoxia
Tue May 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
looks like I'm well on my way to being a tard!
can't even manage to post in the right sub-forum :banghead:

if someone wants to move this for me... feel free

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue May 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Have you talked to the folks at EPIC Motosports? They could probably hook you up.

teamhypoxia
Tue May 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Fully intend to.

I've been over there several times. Great guys!

Just found out about the DRZ this evening and I'm all jazzed up so I thought I'd post up

Bueller
Tue May 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
What DRZ is it? An "E" or "S"?
The E is a decent bike for dirt and Sumo, the S is kind of a turd.
Figure an hour or so to do the switch, and the DRZ's are extremely popular so you might be able to come across a used setup with patience but for less than $1k you could get a good startup through EPIC. Yes the stock caliper will work fine with a relocator bracket.
Call Kevin or Mike @ Epic and they will help you with your questions.

teamhypoxia
Tue May 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I'll have to check on the E or S

Should I steer clear of it if it's an S then? Or would it be adequate to start on?

Bueller
Tue May 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
The E is the dirt bike version and is much better performance wise the S is the street legal, low performance "pig" brother. Personally I wouldn't waste my time or $ on an S.

vegasbound
Wed May 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I've been looking at the DRZ400 SM, street rubber and rims comes standard then pick up a set of extra dirt tires/rims.

More like 5k for a used SM though.

krod
Wed May 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Got one fer sale. Its a 06 drz470sm. I will make ya a killer deal.