PDA

View Full Version : Not your usual Octane question

Rednarb
Fri May 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
First, yes I did search. All the octane discussions I found didn't answer my questions....

In Texas (I've only been in CO a year and a half now) the pump gas is offered in 87, 91 (plus) and 93 (premium). Why is it different than here? On one other thread it was mentioned that at higher altitude you can get away with lower octane, is this why?

So, my SV manual says 87 octane, so I've been putting in plus. Since we're higher altitude, can I just put in the 85 gas even though the manual calls for 87?

Thanks for your time :)

Spy007
Fri May 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I wouldnt change the octane but thats just me...

On topic note however, ive never heard of elevation making a difference in octane... TILL i read this!
http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20050812/NOTES/50812008
Still wont sway me... :D

Spy007
Fri May 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Also to note...

Some vehicles require higher octane gasoline, despite high elevation. Performance vehicles and older vehicles may not get by on 85. Anything older than a 1994 model may need the recommended 87 (or higher) rating, especially if it’s a first-generation fuel injected vehicle or has a carburetor, Smith said

dm_gsxr
Fri May 16th, 2008, 03:51 PM
'busa calls for 87 octane. I've been using 85 without a problem for the past several years. When I get down to the flatlands, I use 87 octane (or whatever's available :) ).

Carl

Edit: And it's -1 octane rating for every half mile in elevation.

Slo
Fri May 16th, 2008, 04:17 PM
'busa calls for 87 octane. I've been using 85 without a problem for the past several years. When I get down to the flatlands, I use 87 octane (or whatever's available :) ).

Carl

Edit: And it's -1 octane rating for every half mile in elevation.

Does it really??? Bwahahhaha, I been using high octane, good to know hahahaha....

Good, maybe I will feel a lil more power with the lower octane.

The GECCO
Fri May 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM
You can get away with lower octane at higher elevations. Octane measures a fuels ability to resist detonation from the heat generated by compression or advanced timing, or any other number of factors present in a high performance engine. Engines that generate high cylinder pressures due to either high compression ratios or forced induction are most in need of higher octane fuels.

So, what we are really talking about is cylinder pressure. Up here, the air is naturally less dense, so compressing a given volume of it in a cylinder will result in less pressure than doing the same thing at sea level. This lower cylinder pressure generates less heat (and produces less power) and allows you to get away with using lower octane fuel.

Devaclis
Fri May 16th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I have run 3 tanks of low octaine in the CBR. I sputtered a very little but other thab that it was fine. I run exclusevly high octaine now but that is just because I get better mileage. And I have DK money!

Rednarb
Fri May 16th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I wish I had DK money.

I'm going to try some 85 and see how it goes. Any other SV riders running 85?

Devaclis
Fri May 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
We ran 85 in our 2000 SV with no problems at all

Rednarb
Fri May 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the input, gents!

dm_gsxr
Fri May 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I wish I had DK money.

I'm going to try some 85 and see how it goes. Any other SV riders running 85?

I'm running it in my SV650 as well.

Carl

slayermd
Fri May 16th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Hmmm.......I have had 87 in my SV without a hitch, but I usually put in 91 and I never really wanted to bother with 85.