PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Pedal got bent today.

Nobody
Sat May 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
So I lowsided the CBR earlier today literally minutes after washing it, tires were pretty wet and the bike just got away from me going around a corner on the way back to the house. Nothing got messed up that bad except the shifter, it's bent a pretty good ways out of stock shape. I can still shift the bike just fine, I do have to kind of kick it down to get it into a lower gear though. Should I try bending it back or just straight up replace it? I'll have pics up in the next day or so, whenever I feel like going down to look at it again.

rforsythe
Sat May 17th, 2008, 08:22 PM
You can try bending it back but usually the metal is pretty crappy on those, so it may just straight up break on you one day. I'd replace it if it's bent bad.

Nobody
Sat May 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM
It just got bent inwards a little bit, doesn't look major but I think you're right about replacing it rather than waiting for it to break on me in traffic.

PhL0aTeR
Sat May 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I would definitely replace it, but keep the bent one as a spare after you bend it back, if you go on a long ride and pack a bag toss it in, you never know when you might need it, could be what gets ya home

Nobody
Sat May 17th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I would definitely replace it, but keep the bent one as a spare after you bend it back, if you go on a long ride and pack a bag toss it in, you never know when you might need it, could be what gets ya home

Great idea, thanks for the tip!

Repsol a095
Sat May 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hey bro,

If you need any help, let me know. If you are up for riding tomorrow, the noob ride will be leaving from Morrison Conoco at about nine-thirty. Let me know if you want to ride down together; I am going to leave at about eight-fifteen.
Patrick

Nobody
Sat May 17th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hey bro,

If you need any help, let me know. If you are up for riding tomorrow, the noob ride will be leaving from Morrison Conoco at about nine-thirty. Let me know if you want to ride down together; I am going to leave at about eight-fifteen.
Patrick

You know, I think I might just suck it up and tag along. I'll hit ya up tomorrow morning.

Aracheon
Sun May 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM
That aluminum will bend once. Trying to bend it back will snap it off... and that's a $65 mistake. (Believe me... I know.)

mayhem
Sun May 18th, 2008, 07:49 AM
if your gonna try and bend it back, put it in a vise and hit it with a torch and slowly try to bend it back.......

Aracheon
Sun May 18th, 2008, 08:03 AM
if your gonna try and bend it back, put it in a vise and hit it with a torch and slowly try to bend it back.......

Good thought! I only ended up using a vice and a couple blocks of wood... completely forgot about heating it up.

mayhem
Sun May 18th, 2008, 08:11 AM
and if that doesn't work. go to aracheons house and take the one off his bike, he wont mind.......:)

chris, you goin to hastings?

Nobody
Sun May 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM
lol I don't think I'd be able to make it all the way down there today, it hurts bad enough just moving around my apartment. For $65 I'll just replace it and keep the bent spare around just in case. Thanks for the info!

Aracheon
Sun May 18th, 2008, 09:13 PM
and if that doesn't work. go to aracheons house and take the one off his bike, he wont mind.......:)

chris, you goin to hastings?

:slap:

We'll be leaving Friday morning around 0500. Just finished my safety wiring today (bits that I had forgotten about), and I'll have my second set of plastics painted and ready to go hopefully by no later than Wednesday.

mayhem
Mon May 19th, 2008, 06:43 AM
0500? damn, wanna get there early dont ya...are you doin the afternoon trackday? i keep checkin the weather for hastings and its all over the place, right now sat:80 isolated t-storms 50% chance rain. sun:82 20% chance rain...i dont have any rain tires, so i guess i should start lookin..we'll see what the weather says on thurs........

Aracheon
Mon May 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
0500? damn, wanna get there early dont ya...are you doin the afternoon trackday? i keep checkin the weather for hastings and its all over the place, right now sat:80 isolated t-storms 50% chance rain. sun:82 20% chance rain...i dont have any rain tires, so i guess i should start lookin..we'll see what the weather says on thurs........

Yeah, we're aiming to leave early to accommodate for gas/piss stops, as well as for any emergencies. We'd like to have plenty of time to get our pit area set up and get familiar with the surroundings. We'll be running the Friday afternoon practice for sure.

The weather forecast has me a little worried. I don't have rain tires either, so it'll be an interesting weekend if it gets wet...

mayhem
Tue May 20th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Yeah, we're aiming to leave early to accommodate for gas/piss stops, as well as for any emergencies. We'd like to have plenty of time to get our pit area set up and get familiar with the surroundings. We'll be running the Friday afternoon practice for sure.

The weather forecast has me a little worried. I don't have rain tires either, so it'll be an interesting weekend if it gets wet...

yeah, and its just getting worse....calling for rain and thunderstorms from wed to wed.....sat looks the worst 78degrees thunderstorms and 50% chance of rain...:( if it stays like that i'm not goin, i'll get my jones out on memorial day at pmp...........praying it gets better............

different websites say different forecasts....www.wunderground.com says 83 sat 20% chance rain and about the same sun.....i like that alot better than weather.com lol

dragos13
Tue May 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM

Thats good thinking to have plenty of time for emergencies, setting up, etc. The trackday starts at 3pm. We are going to ask George if we can take the pit bikes around the track for a couple laps. Come find the Young Blood pits and I'm sure you can roll out with us. Its a great way to see the track before actually hitting it on the race bikes.

Dont worry about the weather too much. If you are in the points for a championship, then you better have rain tires. The main thing is just ride within your limit. Its wet for everyone, and everyone will slow it down when its raining.

Last year, we had slight rain on Saturday morning, just enough to leave puddles on the track. It was pretty wet for that practice, then dried up nice. Just went out on DOT's and took the practice slow.

And back on topic, just bang the shifter back into shape and start hitting up eBay. What year is your bike? Stock rearsets?

Nobody
Tue May 20th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Thats good thinking to have plenty of time for emergencies, setting up, etc. The trackday starts at 3pm. We are going to ask George if we can take the pit bikes around the track for a couple laps. Come find the Young Blood pits and I'm sure you can roll out with us. Its a great way to see the track before actually hitting it on the race bikes.

Dont worry about the weather too much. If you are in the points for a championship, then you better have rain tires. The main thing is just ride within your limit. Its wet for everyone, and everyone will slow it down when its raining.

Last year, we had slight rain on Saturday morning, just enough to leave puddles on the track. It was pretty wet for that practice, then dried up nice. Just went out on DOT's and took the practice slow.

And back on topic, just bang the shifter back into shape and start hitting up eBay. What year is your bike? Stock rearsets?

It's an '02, bone stock minus a yoshi rs-3 and the power commander that I haven't had the time to install.

dragos13
Tue May 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Let me look thru all my boxes tonight, im pretty sure I have a spare shift lever.