PDA

View Full Version : It's deer season folks, watch out!

Clovis
Sat May 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Just a word of yearly caution but the deer are starting to show up in increasing numbers. On my weekly trip to Deckers this afternoon I nearly struck a deer as a group of three darted out in front of me. Luckilly I was alone and only going about 60 when I saw the first and began looking for the others (I almost never see a deer alone so when you see one, look for his buddys).

Then on the way back home down 24, just after passing Manitou the truck infront of me hit a deer head-on. I didn't see the accident but rather wondered why a few cars would suddenly pulling off to the shoulder and then saw the dying deer in the middle of the lane (that's never a good sight, to see a mangled deer that's still alive and seconds away from death).

The deer in this case hit the pickup (a ford ranger) pretty much head on and the truck went over the deer; the guy's bumper and grill were destroyed but supprisingly that was the only visable damage. As I stopped to see if they were hurt / needed help another car (a small sedan) hit the (now dead) deer head on; I guess he didn't notice the other cars swurving around it and ran over the thing... kind of a gross sight as the car actually went airborne slightly and the deer flew up into the gear spinning it's legs everyone and puffing out a nasty blood spray (yuck).

Anyhow - my point for mentioning this is hitting a deer on the bike nearly always results in injury or worse so be midnful of a possible animal around that blind corner next time you take it at 90mph =/

-Clovis

VFR
Sat May 17th, 2008, 11:48 PM
You need a camera....lol

ChrisCBX
Sun May 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Fox 31 reported that a rider is in critical condition after hitting a deer near Monument.

McVaaahhh
Sun May 18th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Fox 31 reported that a rider is in critical condition after hitting a deer near Monument.

I saw that accident last night as I was heading down to the springs. A big, full-dress Harley hit a deer on I-25 right about 8:30 last night. We were stuck two hundred yards behind the accident for about an hour while they shut down the highway and brought in the flight for life.

Looked pretty grim, I hope he pulls through. :(

IT WASN'T ME!
Mon May 19th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I have had several close encounters with deer in the past few weeks including this morning. DAM THEY'RE BIG!

RocketBabe923
Mon May 19th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know if those little high frequency deer scaring things work?

sprtbkbabe
Mon May 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM

I had a couple on my old Jeep and don't know if it was just a timing thing more than anything when one did move just as I rounded a corner. It was a big buck, too. :eek: Over the Road truckers swear by them. IDK

ChrisCBX
Mon May 19th, 2008, 07:15 PM
There are a lot of critters in Colorado to worry about. Last summer I came within a few feet of hitting a full grown bull moose near the top of Cameron Pass.

I found a little bit of berm so that I could stop the bike and get my camera out.............

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/Cbxnut/DSCN3229_edited.jpg

I think my loud pipes actually helped me. When I was going around the bend the moose was coming down a dirt enbankment and was sliding to a stop as if he had heard me coming.:bigeyes:

64BonnieLass
Mon May 19th, 2008, 07:16 PM

I'm not sure if those work either, but I do know that riding with a Tard definitely works. :) Loud, Loud, Loud!

They were nestled in the brush right along Deer creek road tonight about 6PM. Laying down (thank god) taking in the sights all nice and comfy. I was a little more observant after seeing them. I was really not in the mood for a face to face conversation with one. I pinch!!!! :D

Be safe everyone.

64BonnieLass
Mon May 19th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Awesome pic Chris. I wish we could have had the photo of the big ass bear we saw last spring crossing the road. I've been in CO all my life and have never seen a bear. Quite the sight to see. (as it's walking away :))

Oldgreen
Mon May 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I live in Estes Park. Deer seemed to be spooked by my 636 rather quickly, but not my car. The Elk are active and as it gets hotter they will move up the mountain to stay cool. Elk are usually more predicable than deer. Deer will 180 and run in front of you just when you think that you are safe. All in all if I had to hit something, I prefer a bee or mosquito.

cjmagnuss
Mon May 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM
they're all over lookout mountain as well. the top section is really fun to ride too!

Clovis
Mon May 19th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I was coming home about a mile from the house on Mesa and saw a rattle snake in the middle of the other lane - he was crossing the road and got nailed by a truck. I circled back, more of to see if it was really a rattlesnake (I had never seen one out here before). On the second look it was coiled up with it's tail wagging.. and boom, another truck ran square over it and it bounced around and recoiled up. At that point I wasn't sure if it was still alive and just mussle reflexes (I've seen a headless snake curl up).

I like animals and all but not snakes; I come across small gardners in my back yard ever summer, usually while cutitng the grass edging along the fence.

-Clovis