PDA

View Full Version : The deer slayer

Warren
Tue May 20th, 2008, 05:01 PM
So I went for a nice long ride down to Southern CO yesterday. I rode a lot of good roads on the way down. Went through deckers to 24 then across 24 to some county road towards cripple creek then a kick ass road that Tom pointed out to me on the fast kid ride Sunday. Then headed across 50 to just past crested butte. From there I turned south on 149. This was the best road I have ever been on. Until my little incident I only saw 3 cars in 50 miles. The corners lined up perfect and had a great rhythm. Well, by this time it was about 7 o'clock at night and the sun was starting to set. I came around a corner and there right in the road were 3 deer. I stood the bike up and slammed on the breaks, picked the only empty path through the deer and let off the brakes just before impact. One of the deer literally jumped right into my path. I just barely clipped the little guy while he was still in the air with the headlight of the bike and his body swung around and his head smashed into my knee puck. I could hear his skull crack. I slowed to a stop to be sure he was dead then surveyed the damage. Cracked fairing and headlight housing, and a bloody and hair covered knee puck, but that was it. I got lucky and didn't go down. Thanks to the two guys who stopped and supplied me with the tape to tape the bike back together, I was able to ride it home. Still a great ride though. I will try to post some pics later.

siriuschris
Tue May 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Damn, that's hardcore.
Glad you're ok as that coulda been way worse.
What's the repair cost lookin like?

VFR
Tue May 20th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Remind me to never let you knee me in the face if we get into a fight...lol

Glad you came out ok, that could have been bad

Rednarb
Tue May 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Wow, congrats on surviving that one! I've read too many stories that don't come out with quite so "happy" of an ending.

Warren
Tue May 20th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I got lucky and I know it. If the body had ended up under the bike it would have been much worse.

daemon
Tue May 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM
yesterdays ride with sal may have well turned out the same way.
we were running at a moderate pace down devils gulch,when right after a tight right hander were 4 big horned sheep staring me in the face.
they did that "stare" and ran back up the side of a cliff.
meer seconds before collision while i was slamming to a stop(near crawl),i was simply happy to have had a bit of reserve while riding that road.
the next turn held more perils as in large rocks right in the middle of the raod.
either one of the events may have proved catastrophic.
we slowed to inform chad and kevin,but they did not see the monsters that had just vacated our path.
anyway!!!
we stopped and cleared the road of debris and went on our way.....not slowing a bit.

moral: glad you are somewhat good to go,but always leave some reserve action on any road less travelled

ghost-whiner
Tue May 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
So... uh... what did ya do with the meat :D

pilot
Tue May 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Warren, Mayo,

Glad you two turned out OK.

Warren,

Sounds like a "short" ride. What time did you make it back and how many miles total?

Bueller
Tue May 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM
What a lucky SOB you are :)

Spy007
Tue May 20th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Glad to hear you are ok warren!

Warren
Wed May 21st, 2008, 12:17 AM

It is a little hard to carry a deer on a bike, but I am pretty sure the guys who stopped and helped went back and got it.

Warren
Wed May 21st, 2008, 12:18 AM
Warren, Mayo,

Glad you two turned out OK.

Warren,

Sounds like a "short" ride. What time did you make it back and how many miles total?

I was lazy and didn't leave my house until 1:30. After a little work to get the headlights adjusted well enough to do the job and a slightly slower pace on roads through deer country I got home at 3:30 am. Just over 700 miles round trip

Rednarb
Wed May 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM

I bet with some creative use of rope and bungee cords he could have strapped that monster on the back!:crazy:

64BonnieLass
Wed May 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Awww poor deer. :cry: Knee puck Bambi killer!!!

Glad you are okay Warren and the bike is still relatively okay. :)

MetaLord 9
Wed May 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM
way to drive through it man, that's ridiculous! glad to hear you're alright and no worse for the wear! if that was me, it woulda taken a shovel to get all the poop outta my pants...

pilot
Wed May 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM
I was lazy and didn't leave my house until 1:30. After a little work to get the headlights adjusted well enough to do the job and a slightly slower pace on roads through deer country I got home at 3:30 am. Just over 700 miles round tripschweeet! Man, we need a section for long-haulers. Sure, the 125 mile ride up, down, up, and down again can be fun, but there is something to a nice long ride through the mountains.:)

TomB
Thu May 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Warren,
Just wanted to welcome you to the Deer Slayer group. Ok I left mine sore and missing some hair. :hump:
We sure are glad to hear that you are ok. That's the main thing.
Mrs. TomB

Warren
Thu May 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Warren,
Just wanted to welcome you to the Deer Slayer group. Ok I left mine sore and missing some hair. :hump:
We sure are glad to hear that you are ok. That's the main thing.
Mrs. TomB

Thanks Tom, and that road you recomended the other day was awesome. I need to explore that area more.

Warren
Thu May 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
schweeet! Man, we need a section for long-haulers. Sure, the 125 mile ride up, down, up, and down again can be fun, but there is something to a nice long ride through the mountains.:)

We had a couple long ones last summer. I am sure I will get some good ones in this year too.

yueh
Thu May 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Damn Warren!

Glad you're OK! Must not have been a doe, or she would have bit you in the arm, too...

Warren 1, Deer 0

Keep up the good work!

Repsol a095
Thu May 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Damn Warren!

Glad you're OK! Must not have been a doe, or she would have bit you in the arm, too...

Warren 1, Deer 0

Keep up the good work!

Warren 1, Deer 0, Drunken Girl who likes to bite 1

COS Mille
Fri May 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Glad to hear it turned out the way it did. An aquaintenance, riding a Harley was not so fortunate and was fatally injured last Sat. up near Castle Rock (life was maintained until family got in town Sunday afternoon). It was about 8:00 pm, the doe and fawn ran in front of him, doe jumped into his chest and neck, throwing him from the bike and onto the street at about 70 mph. No helmet worn, neurosurgeon said it probably wouldn't have made a life or death difference in this case.
Gotta realize animals are moving, be especially aware at dusk and dawn, often there is no time to react to unpredictable animals. Gear is essential.