PDA

View Full Version : time to get it fixed...

mastap07
Wed May 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM
as some of you know i laid my bike down last week and need to get it fixed. this is my first street bike and im not sure whether or not to go through insurance (a 500 deductable) or try to get all new/aftermarket parts exc... i tore a hole in the gas tank, bent lever and foot peg, scratched rear/side faring seat and exhaust, broke the right mirror and took a piece out of the front faring (which might need to be readjusted because the lights look off centered) any suggestions besides not crashing in the first place...?

madvlad
Wed May 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM
From personal knowledge I say go through insurance OR if you get lucky and can score a tank from steele's salvage down santa-fe. That gas tank is what's going to kill your pocket if you do it on your own.

Matrix
Wed May 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
I would go through insurance. I havent seen any pics but from the discription you gave it sounds like close to 3K in plastics, tank and other parts. Save the old plastics though so you will have a set for the track. Tough break for sure.

Shortcake
Wed May 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM
From what the extents of damage you've given, insurance will total it. If you want to keep it your looking at $1,000 to repair it by shopping e-bay and r6 forums.

cromer611
Wed May 21st, 2008, 11:46 PM
no way it will total, even if it had dmg on the swing arm it wouldnt total. brake lever right peg mirror isnt that much money. tank/pipe/black mid fairing/ lower red fairing isnt that much. i actually just wrote a estimate on one yesterday pretty similar to the dmg given here, add a upper fairing, light housing, tail, swing arm, didnt total.

your in the clear to claim the dmg IMO. much cheaper just to claim it. besides you could repair the cosmetics and sell the dmged pipe on ebay and buy yerself a after market pipe err sumthin.

Slo
Thu May 22nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Damn man, hope your alright? Can you post a few detailed pics? That might help as far as others recommending whether to fix or not yourself.

pilot
Thu May 22nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Another item to consider is how many claims have you had in the past two years and what, if any your rates may go up by making this claim. Also, a repaint will be anywhere from $300 on the low end to $600 on for a quality full paint (with some cool stylz of course).

mastap07
Thu May 22nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
thanks for the help guys. ill try to take some pics if i can take pics w my left hand lol... this is my first claim ever if i go that route on cars/bikes/anything and they are askin 500 to do the estimate.

McVaaahhh
Thu May 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Depends on your cash flow situation.

Go the insurance route you're out $500 and you get a nice, shiny bike back in about a month. Rates may or may not go up.

Fix it yourself and you're out at least $1000, if not more.

I have great insurance and rates, so I'd turn it into my company, but if that's not you I'd just replace the tank and mirror and whatever else I needed to get back on the road and then look for replacements as time goes on.

Nobody
Thu May 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Man what a rough way to start off the season, whatever happened to keeping the shiny side up? Definitely claim it, easier to spend $500 and get it done right imo.

mastap07
Fri May 23rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
yah im thinkin thats the way to go, i guess i need to find more hours w both jobs or somethin to get it done...

Sully
Fri May 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Damn James.. sorry to hear this :(... Are you ok ?

mastap07
Sat May 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM
yah... the arm still hurts and can be draining durin the day but im hangin in there. jus wish the bike could heal itself too :(

usmcab35
Sun May 25th, 2008, 06:45 AM
yea if they could only sell a healing bike that would be awesome.... kind of reminds me of that commerical on the radio, about itunes tagging, when he says if i can hit a button and it can tell my ipod to remember it and buy that later, then were is my flying car???? lol....