PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here know electronics?

Goldmember
Mon May 19th, 2003, 03:12 PM
:x I have gone through every diagnosis for the reserve light on my F4. There is 12v at the tank sensor, the ground is good for the sensor, the bulb isn't burned out (actually two LED's that I see flash sometimes when I am cranking the engine), everything else in the cluster works. If I knew enough about electronics I would fix it myself. I don't want to spend $200+ on a new circuit board when the repair probably wouldn't take more than a few minutes for someone who knows what they are doing. Can anyone help? :? Anybody know someone who can help? :?
Thanks.

mikesf4i
Mon May 19th, 2003, 08:20 PM
So what is the initial problem? Fuel idiot light doesnt come on? Did you check the sensor output at the gauge cluster to make sure that there isnt a broken wire? I would be more than willing to help if I can.Parts and schematics are normally the problem in fixing electronics stuff. They can be very hard to get ahold of. Luckily the most common problems are also broken cicuit board traces and bad solder joints which are both easily repaired. Let me know if I can help. Oh yea, I have been an avionics (aviation electronics) technician for quite a while and currently work on medical helicopters .

Goldmember
Tue May 20th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Correct, reserve light no-worky. I noticed that I was getting extraordinary fuel mileage just before running out of gas. It worked for a while after I bought the bike so I know nothing is missing that would cause it not to work. So I checked the connections at the sensor in the tank. Connected.
Bridged the wires going to the sensor. No effect.
Wiring diagram shows brown(?) wire going from instr. cluster to sensor at tank and other wire from sensor to ground. Getting 12v at wire from instr. cluster, and other wire (green ?) has a good ground. I may have forgotten which color wire is which, but I know a bit about chasing electrical gremlins, I used to be a VW/Audi mechanic. I have seen solder joints make some interesting problems in cars, so I split the cluster housing and eyeballed the circuit board as well as I could with naked eye, no meter, and little experience. I didn't find anything obvious.
I am no expert in electronics, but this would seem to me to be pretty simple as it is just about on and off, not like trying to fix a screwy tachometer or something even more complex.
Yah, I could use some help with this, I can't think of what else this could be besides some electronics weirdness going on in the circuit board. Perhaps there is something I could help you with in exchange? :idea: