PDA

View Full Version : Battery WTF!?!

Graphics
Fri May 23rd, 2008, 11:47 PM
Ok so last year im out and riding and somewhere towards the begining of winter my bike stalls out in Lyons. Im like WTF? The lights are dimming, and the starter wont kick in. I figure somehow the battery died. So my buddy runs out, comes back with a replacement an hour later. Bike runs fine the rest of the day.

Week later were out by Monument and same thing happens. Lights dim out bike wont start. At this point im thinkin somethings up with the stator. I run start the bike (oh crap this is so not fun or easy btw) runs cool, then I hit the throttle it begins to stall. So i made the trip from monument to Denver all on the friction point of the motor at a whoping 1mph over the next 5 hours.

This spring (after i evicted a family of raccoons that began nesting on my bike) I decided to buy a voltage meter and fix the thing myself. I buy a new battery, everything works fine. The battery holds a charge and gets charged after every ride. Been riding to work for the past month.

Today I was out f'n around just gassing it around all day up and down the outskirts. I decide to stop for gas and in the words of Emirill, "BAM!!!" same thing. Bike wont start, lights are all dimming anytime im trying to start it or use any accessories/brake. Luckily I was near a hill, so I ran started it again and got home. I just checked the voltage on the battery expecting it to be a goner, yet measured 13.30 WTF! :confused: Thats perfectly normal, yet when I turn the key it drops to 1.02 or so.

I'm smart enough to know that you cant start a bike with 1v but whats happening if the battery is still good and being charged? Is this a starter issue or something totally im unaware of?

Help me!!! I need my bike!!! :cry:

Sean
Sat May 24th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I'm going through almost the same exact thing. For me, it turned out to be the stator and regulator rectifier. I got a new battery, worked for a little while, and now the bike won't go. Go talk to Jim at TFOG.

sleepercivic88
Sat May 24th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I got stranded out of lyons last week becasue of this. Check the fluid level in your battery and add some distilled water to it. What is probabily happening is that your regulator rectifier is overcharging your battery thus making it hot and evaporating all the liquid off. Do you get a sulfer smell when your bike dies that is usally and indication that you are baking off the battery fluid. Your actually reducing the H2SO4 in your battery and are putting off some hydrogen disulfide among some other things if you smell it.

So, fill the battery and test out the RR im willing to bet the battery is just the symptom of the RR being bad.

Graphics
Sat May 24th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I got stranded out of lyons last week becasue of this. Check the fluid level in your battery and add some distilled water to it. What is probabily happening is that your regulator rectifier is overcharging your battery thus making it hot and evaporating all the liquid off. Do you get a sulfer smell when your bike dies that is usally and indication that you are baking off the battery fluid. Your actually reducing the H2SO4 in your battery and are putting off some hydrogen disulfide among some other things if you smell it.

So, fill the battery and test out the RR im willing to bet the battery is just the symptom of the RR being bad.

The battery seems fine. Ive had this experiance three times. Like I said, when I checked battery voltage it maintains nominal charge, its only when i turn the ignition key does it drop bellow 1 volt. I checked the battery today again, still charged and looking good. I can rule out the battery for sure.

Shiny, how did you deduce it was the stator? I mean the thing is just a coil?

Repsol a095
Sat May 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I had the same problem with my bike, and it turned out to be short in the wiring. It was a nightmare to find, but it was behind the cluster. Good luck!! I would take it to Jim as well.

highpsi03
Sat May 24th, 2008, 11:21 PM
This happened on my 01 r6. The recitifier plug melted.. It's a common issue because they shove the damn thing, which gets really hot in a place that gets no airflow.. I re-wired it and moved in under the tail to get more air.

sleepercivic88
Sun May 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
When my battery ran dry it acted the same way as far as showing voltage and when the ignition it dropped. Seriously check the fluid level in your battery it is the most neglected maintenance on a bike. your supposed to check it about once a month.

V=IR so when your battery has no resistance on it, it is able to supply 12vdc no problem but as soon as you increase resistance and need some amps (I) your battery voltage drops. Your battery cant supply any amps so its done.

Check the electrolyte level.