PDA

View Full Version : Racers crash at Hastings!

pilot
Mon May 26th, 2008, 05:35 AM
In a nice comfy bed after a good day's racing.

Hey riders, how about some overall racing info? What do we gotta do conact ABC?

dirkterrell
Mon May 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Lots of good racing but too many crashes. I have some pictures and video that I'll post when I get back.

Dirk

Slo
Mon May 26th, 2008, 10:32 PM
+1, so many crashes...... was scary watching on the sidelines and seeing them go down right in front of you, also even more scarier was seeing the red flag go up, ambulance going out onto the track, then trying to figure out where all your friends were.

Had a guy on my first race highside right to the left on me in turn 1 while going in 4-5 wide......That was a severe pucker moment for me.

cromer611
Tue May 27th, 2008, 12:57 AM
but It was hella fun besides all the crashs

2Blue
Tue May 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Turn 13 was something, it almost bit me!
Great track, nice and smooth!

Slo
Tue May 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Turn 13 was something, it almost bit me!
Great track, nice and smooth!

Damn Curtis, for a new sportbike rider coming from Harley's you are hella impressive. Glad you saved it on that turn, I was nervous for you haha....

Lel
Tue May 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM
there were a bunch of crashes for sure! but was a great weekend!

Wahooman
Thu May 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Yea....lots of get offs...but a good weekend. I have never seen turn 13 get so many people. Turn 9 was popular as well. On Saturday during NGTU there was 9 wrecks...everytime I went around there were more to the side....WOW!
Overall a great weekend and I had some great results...just wich my lap times were a little better....but we still have July I suppose.
For all of you new racers from CSC..GREAT to see you out there. Had a chance to talk to a few of you. Hope you all had fun and learned lots.

Curtis

pilot
Thu May 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Where were the crashes on 13 (lucky number)? Early, mid, late? Just curious as to potential causes, er...make that real causes. Potential could have been UFOs, tumbleweeds, etc.

Horn_E_NINJA
Fri May 30th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I crashed in 13 on Sunday. I went down because I had to much lean when I tried to pass inside. Good lesson!

rybo
Fri May 30th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Pilot,

Crashes were happening at all points in 13. We had racers coming together at the enterance causing crashes, missed brake markers, getting on the gas too early on the exit and just the general, "got in too hot and tried too hard to make the turn....I lost the front"

Turn 9 was problematic as well, I think a lot of the cause there was a change in wind direction and strength causing some riders to run off the track there because they were carrying more speed into that corner than they had been in practice or earlier races.

I ran off the track once in 1 because I got a little fire of competition in my head and forgot to slow down enough. As I was trailing it in I hit some bumps in the track on the brakes that I hadn't hit before. The bike got a bit unstable, and I ended up standing it up and running off the track instead of falling down...

scott

dragos13
Fri May 30th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Pilot,

I ran off the track once in 1 because I got a little fire of competition in my head and forgot to slow down enough. As I was trailing it in I hit some bumps in the track on the brakes that I hadn't hit before. The bike got a bit unstable, and I ended up standing it up and running off the track instead of falling down...

scott

i also found those bumps. it was like some wavy pavement just a couple feet off the race line. i got in too hot, ran just a couple feet wide. while trailbraking into the corner, i hit the waves with too much load on the front. i crashed tho, the front left so quick i was on the ground before i knew what to do.

great weekend overall tho. the weather held out nice, most people were able to walk away from the crashes.

Big +1 to all the alfalfa. Not sure but my bike walked away with only a bend clip-on and broken windscreen. See you all in Pueblo :)

BlueDevil
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Got through my 1st trip to Hastings with out a trip to the alfalpha !!!
WOOT !!!

Last 2 times out there Ive been laying down outside T2 in a nice fluffy bed of greens..... Though the front straight has some roughness that wasnt there before and dang near lock to lock headshook me right off.... After I cleaned my drawers ended up with 5th in HW endurance...

pilot
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Dion,
Did you find out what caused the head shake (the bike, not the track)?

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Yeah that would the the horrible ripples in the track on the right side just a hair after start finish....... Its actually the 1st time Ive ever gotten head shake on any bike IVe owned on any track in the last 6 years I been racing..... Needless to say after I chose a line a bit more to the left, I had no issues the rest of the weekend........

pilot
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Yeah that would the the horrible ripples in the track on the right side just a hair after start finish....... Its actually the 1st time Ive ever gotten head shake on any bike IVe owned on any track in the last 6 years I been racing..... Needless to say after I chose a line a bit more to the left, I had no issues the rest of the weekend........Now that is some good and valuable information to share amongst your fellow racers (moving to the left). Had you made any changes to your bike since you last raced there--suspension, tires, front-end geometry: triple clamp offset, rake, trail, new fork set-up. I know, a lot of questions, but I'm curious from a rider/tech standpoint. Not trying to get all the secrets here, but then again, this ain't MotoGP, ha. Thanks.

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Now that is some good and valuable information to share amongst your fellow racers (moving to the left). Had you made any changes to your bike since you last raced there--suspension, tires, front-end geometry: triple clamp offset, rake, trail, new fork set-up. I know, a lot of questions, but I'm curious from a rider/tech standpoint. Not trying to get all the secrets here, but then again, this ain't MotoGP, ha. Thanks.

Last year I ran bone stock suspension. This year I went with an Ohlins 25 mill kit up front and an Ohlins rear shock. No geometry changes, and I ran Bridgies new 003 DOT's which does have a significantly different profile on the front...

pilot
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Last year I ran bone stock suspension. This year I went with an Ohlins 25 mill kit up front and an Ohlins rear shock. No geometry changes, and I ran Bridgies new 003 DOT's which does have a significantly different profile on the front...Was that a change from the 20mm kit? How's the turn-in on the 003's compared to your last brand?

rybo
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Last year I ran bone stock suspension....

I'm guessing no.

pilot
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I'm guessing no.Oops, I was looking at something other than that fine bit of information. Must get back to reading 101.

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Was that a change from the 20mm kit? How's the turn-in on the 003's compared to your last brand?

Stock front on an 06 R6 is 20 mill yes........... (but I had absolutely nothing done to them) They werre straight off the floor of the dealer and to the race track) The amount of difference in the front end frm stock to the 25mill kit is truely amazing... Its like a Chevy Aveo to a Ferrari...

Turn in is VERY different.... The 002 is a triangular shaped profile, the drops you down fast into a corner and sticks you there tight... The 003 has a much more domed (or rounded) profile, which gave you a more easy gradual turn in and is a bit easier in a flip flop style situation (Like T6a,b to T7 at Pueblo)... However, I love both tires and am happy to run either.... The rear tire has far less tread marks on it and more slick like surface area.... One would assume it would also behave more like a slick in that aspect... Its almost as if the grooves are only to get it to qualify for SS class only.... Kinda like Pirelli's DOT's are... (Not much tread on them at all)

Clarkie
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 07:50 AM
you should talk to Dave @ Single Track Mind, yeah the Hastings track has a lot more bumps than last year, but once we got my bike set up to work over the bumps I barely noticed they were there. My 1000 has a simple 20mm revalve kit, no need to spend the mega bucks on full carts when you can get stock parts to work just as well........ oh sorry I forgot, the MRA is all about outspending the guy on the grid next to you :)

pilot
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I know this is an off the wall question, but you didn't happen to take a picture of the OEM and Ohlins pistons side by side--just for a compare and contrast?

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 07:54 AM
you should talk to Dave @ Single Track Mind, yeah the Hastings track has a lot more bumps than last year, but once we got my bike set up to work over the bumps I barely noticed they were there. My 1000 has a simple 20mm revalve kit, no need to spend the mega bucks on full carts when you can get stock parts to work just as well........ oh sorry I forgot, the MRA is all about outspending the guy on the grid next to you :)

I actually totally agree with you and had planned on GP Suspention vavles and springs only.... However, I scored the Full 25mill kit and shock for a ridiculous price and they all had 2 sprint race on them... I spent just a smidge over what the shock and revalve with springs would have costed me... so I went with it.... Otherwise, I agree with you 100% on that one....

Dont forget Clarkie... Im the most extreme budget racer the MRA has (self proclaimed)... I run a bike (bought used off a street rider) and a 200 buck Harbor freight trailer, and a Checker autoparts generator... My bikes get a pipe and a power comander, and the parts reqiured by tech to race, and I hit the track..... Im deffinately an advicate that budget racing can do well....

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I know this is an off the wall question, but you didn't happen to take a picture of the OEM and Ohlins pistons side by side--just for a compare and contrast?

No.... I traded the stock forks for the new forks with the 25mill internals already done, then took them to Faster for a Spring swap for my 180lbs ass..... :siesta:

pilot
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 08:01 AM
No.... I traded the stock forks for the new forks with the 25mill internals already done, then took them to Faster for a Spring swap for my 180lbs ass..... :siesta:180 damn, I use to weigh that:scream1:. Did they do a shim stack adjustment, or was that not even brought up?

(Man, I see the big fish are starting to swim in this tank. Time to change lures, ha.)

rybo
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 08:07 AM

This is for sure the truth. I've got the GP bits in the ducati fork and a 25mm kit in the R6 and there is no question which fork works better. The ones Dave worked are better. I too got a KILLER deal on the 25mm kit, which is why I bought it, and I'll say it was a big improvement on the R6, but the work dave did is better and at less than 1/3 the cost.

I hope someday to be fast enough to NEED more, but I think some rider coaching is in order well before I spend more money on the bike

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 08:15 AM
This is for sure the truth. I've got the GP bits in the ducati fork and a 25mm kit in the R6 and there is no question which fork works better. The ones Dave worked are better. I too got a KILLER deal on the 25mm kit, which is why I bought it, and I'll say it was a big improvement on the R6, but the work dave did is better and at less than 1/3 the cost.

I hope someday to be fast enough to NEED more, but I think some rider coaching is in order well before I spend more money on the bike

In deed... I actually had already planned to go with some internals only.... (Strangely enough after many buddies of mine went that route and also had good luck) but I stumbled on a racer who just started and decided it was not for him and sold his goodies after the 1st race... so thats a dang new as it gets... I basically scored the 25 mill kit for ~800 ish.... Which, like I said was a smidge over, springs, valves, oil, and labor for it anyway.. so I figured why the heck not?

My previous bike (an 03 R6) I had stock, with Traxion revalve and springs only, and it was amazing.... I bent a fork on those and picked up new ones wiht Thermos man done internals and even felt better than before... Hell so far, I ran far better times on that bike than I have yet on the 06 (at every track) :(
Wahooman ownes that 03 now, and I have thought many times of asking to buy it back.... HAHA

Clarkie
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Dion I was generalizing about MRA racers, not you in particular :)

It just blows my mind how many novice bike in the MRA have these trick 16.5's on them, a lot of racers dont even have stock wheels. More club racers need to learn to ride before they get caught up in the money spending frenzy. I heard somewhere that the MRA tire vendors sell more 16.5 tires than the rest of the clubs put together, most people will go just as fast on a 17" DOT as they will on a 16.5 slick, in fact last year I was faster 90% of the time on DOT's compared to slicks.

People wonder why they run out of money club racing, I think people shoudl spend less and ride harder, look at WERA as an example, your SS bike IS your SBK, no changes at all

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Pilot: Oh no.. No Shims were used or needed so far at this point.....

180lbs: Yes Im actually down to 180 woot!!! Im on my way to a goal of 170lbs.... Since I cant afford to buy horse power, Ill just eat more salad and get it the DInglebers way by being wafer thin and padros light tee hee

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Dion I was generalizing about MRA racers, not you in particular :) I relaize a terrible common occurance is when a rider reaches their skills limit, they start buying, thinking it will make them faster..... usually riding faster (at least in my experience) has more to do with growing a pair, that it does with how much your $2800 Marchesini's costs haha

It just blows my mind how many novice bike in the MRA have these trick 16.5's on them, a lot of racers dont even have stock wheels. More club racers need to learn to ride before they get caught up in the money spending frenzy. I heard somewhere that the MRA tire vendors sell more 16.5 tires than the rest of the clubs put together, most people will go just as fast on a 17" DOT as they will on a 16.5 slick, in fact last year I was faster 90% of the time on DOT's compared to slicks.

People wonder why they run out of money club racing, I think people shoudl spend less and ride harder, look at WERA as an example, your SS bike IS your SBK, no changes at all

Yes I took no personal reference on that one.... No worries :)

Ya know Ive never run as fast on a slick as I have on a DOT... Not sure why... but I can see your points... Though racing is NOT cheep.. no matter how you look at it... It can be done for a less expensive price tag..
Id say in 6 years of racing including 2 previously owned bikes and 1 Novice Championship including 6 top 5 season finishes, Ive spent somewhere near 45K..... Granted the bikes bump that up a we bit... I spent 7500 ish on the 03 (which came race ready) and I spent nearly 12K on the 06 that came bone stock and had to convert.... but I will say that the year I won the Novice #1 I spent a total of 300 ish on tires the entire year (Cause of contingency) .. so that certainly helped alot... My tire budget (the largest expense of the entire thing) is usually 2K or more a season....... Though its not a cheep sport, its so much more fun that golf aint it? :hump:

Clarkie
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 08:32 AM
well the good thing Dion is that you are smart enough to spend the money on the right things, you have been racing for 6 years, it's longer than a lot of racers do because they get caught up into the money race. People are amzed that I still turn up to the races in my POS 6x12 trailer and a $70 Walmart EZUP instead of a toyhauler, I guess the difference is that I turn up to race, not show other people how much I am prepared to spend to be competitive....

.... I guess my way is working ok so far :alien:

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Yes I took no personal reference on that one.... No worries :)

Hey Dion, Clarkie was really referencing me. :D

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 08:56 AM
.... I guess my way is working ok so far

ahhh Youre slow !!! haha Kidding... I actually sat in Turn 1 to watch RORO in Hastings... That was a fun and interesting persepctive to watch...

I can actually see the toy hauler part, when families, pets, etc are involved.... I know for example, the wives, kids, and pets sure have a much better experience and heck may even enjoy coming out to Hastings in July to watch you......:banghead: but from a money standpoint, my Harborfreighter with milk crates bolted to it to hold gear, does me just fine... I heard everyone talk about their 6-7mpg with that terrible wind going out to Hastings and 7-9mpg coming back... Then I looked down at my gas milage gage and giggled a little....23.4 mpg’s woot…… but as stated on the MRA bored... to each their own.. If you can afford it, then run it... I honestly admit, if I could afford it, I would...

dirkterrell
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Which is why I haven't spent anything on the bike itself (other than the necessities like race plastic and case covers) and I'm spending money on getting the CPU (i.e. me) upgraded. :) Doing some one-on-one with Mark next week...

Dirk

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 09:01 AM
:) Doing some one-on-one with Mark next week...

Dirk

You wont regret that... Everyone who has taken personal time with Mark, ends up faster almost immediately.... Enjoy and ask everything you can and soke up the info like a sponge...

dirkterrell
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 09:26 AM
You wont regret that... Everyone who has taken personal time with Mark, ends up faster almost immediately.... Enjoy and ask everything you can and soke up the info like a sponge...

Yep, I'm really looking forward to it. I plan on working with him several times this summer as his schedule permits, and I'll be at the Pridmore class in September. I was supposed to do the latter in June but I broke my collarbone. :( Clarkie, if you ever have time for some one-on-one coaching, I'll jump at the opportunity. And if any of you guys ever see anything that I could change to improve my riding (e.g. as you lap me several times in the endurance races :) ), I am all ears. I have no ego to bruise. I'm slow and I know it. But I want to learn how to be fast.

Dirk

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Yep, I'm really looking forward to it. I plan on working with him several times this summer as his schedule permits, and I'll be at the Pridmore class in September. I was supposed to do the latter in June but I broke my collarbone. :( Clarkie, if you ever have time for some one-on-one coaching, I'll jump at the opportunity. And if any of you guys ever see anything that I could change to improve my riding (e.g. as you lap me several times in the endurance races :) ), I am all ears. I have no ego to bruise. I'm slow and I know it. But I want to learn how to be fast.

Dirk

The single most important thing is confidence..... That unfortunately cant be taught... but Im sure there are many skills that can be that will in the end help to build confidence....

lovinCO
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM
...and I'll be at the Pridmore class in September...

Hey Dirk, I want to do that class too, I've ridden with them a couple times in the past and the coaching was good. Do you know if Jason will be teaching now that he's got the WSBK schedule?

dirkterrell
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Hey Dirk, I want to do that class too, I've ridden with them a couple times in the past and the coaching was good. Do you know if Jason will be teaching now that he's got the WSBK schedule?

Hey Wyeth. I don't know about Jason's status but the way I look at it, at my level I am sure to learn a LOT even if he isn't there himself. It might be a very different situation for you though. It'd be cool to have you there!

Dirk

dirkterrell
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM
The single most important thing is confidence..... That unfortunately cant be taught... but Im sure there are many skills that can be that will in the end help to build confidence....

Agreed!

Dirk

lovinCO
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hey Wyeth. I don't know about Jason's status but the way I look at it, at my level I am sure to learn a LOT even if he isn't there himself. It might be a very different situation for you though.

Umm, I think we're at similar levels Dirk. And you're right, even w/o Jason that school would be a good thing. :)

cromer611
Wed Jun 11th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Dion I was generalizing about MRA racers, not you in particular :)

have you seen my bike?! it is so trick with its rattle can paint job and stock everythin : ) gearing even