PDA

View Full Version : Bike etiquette (Parking)

Stitches
Fri May 30th, 2008, 07:38 PM
It takes a certain type a bastard to proudly acclaim that he is A. a Bastard, and B has been so recently. As such I join the long line of folks who have committed a "dick move". Today while going out to lunch I found myself in a parking lot where the only available parking spot was in a space occupied by a BMW rs100 or similar. I regrettably poinied up next to him; not as to interfere with his leaving, but certainly as to use some of his space. It then occurred to me that I've never been instructed in the ways of Biker parking etiquette. I was wondering, at what point is close too close? and what makes a "polite" fellow motorcyclist on the road, and when surrounded by hyper-caffinated soccer-mom death machines?

McVaaahhh
Fri May 30th, 2008, 08:11 PM
As long as you don't get in the way of the bike that's already occupying the space, either in parking so close the guy can't get on/around his bike, or can't leave the space he parked in I'd say you're fine.

Polite on the road should never trump safety.

fullgrownbear
Fri May 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
You should've parked on his right in such a way that when you dropped your kickstand your left bar-end was touching his tank ;)

matt2778
Fri May 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM
One motorcycle per One car parking space

tarded400
Sat May 31st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Interesting.... I hate those guys that park so that they take up the entire parking spot. To me it seems like a compotent motorcyclist should be able to park 2 per spot at least. At CSU they made nice little parking "lines" so that each bike takes up 1.5X the room they need and cut down on spots. On the other hand, I don't want to come out from a meal and see some jackass parked 2" from me and a scratch all the way down my tank.

Snowman
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM
They have it figured out in London. As long as the other guy can get out I don't think there should be a issue.

http://www.motorcycleparking.com/images/_full_bay.jpg

Aracheon
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 08:48 AM
There's a few guys at work who ride. I always park in such a way that someone else could park in the spot too. I don't mind if someone parks in the same slot as I do, as long as I can get out.

XJ600s
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM
I'll usually just park way out in the lot where there are a ton of open spots...that way those in-a-hurry soccer moms don't accidentally (or intentionally) pull into the spot with my bike because they "couldn't see it" around the other cars.

When thats not an option, I park in the middle of the spot to avoid any doors swinging out and hitting my bike. At work, I park in a corner of the parking garage that is not painted for a spot, but fits my bike and has room for another 5 bikes at least. Thing is, it doesn't say no parking or is painted with no parking white or yellow striped lines.

tarded400
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM
XJ- I know what you mean about people pulling in really fast... almost had it happen to me. Now I park way out even with the other people's bumpers so they have a better chance of seeing me. I always leave it in gear too, so if it does get bumped, maybe it won't go down. Doesn't help when some moron backs completely over your bike though... ask me how I know.

Jason ON
Thu Jun 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I always park out towards the "aisle" of the parking space to avoid those people in a hurry to pull into a space only to bump me.

Otherwise, as long as the other person can get on their bike and pull out without having difficulties, then I think you're okay.

asp_125
Thu Jun 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM
At work there's a few older guys with their hardly davidsons and their wide saddle bags and huge assed windshield fairings. I can't see sharing a space with them. I park in back where the normal sized bikes park, we can squeeze closer and still not block anyone.

zetaetatheta
Thu Jun 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I always look for a fat chick lying face down sunbathing then put the front wheel in her ass crack. No kickstand nor tie downs required. :yumyum:

MetaLord 9
Thu Jun 5th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Since I got yelled at for parking on the overlarge sidewalk area at our building I take up an entire space with my bike. I don't regularly see other bikes at the office so I don't usually worry about it. I always park in the middle of the spot so no one tries to squeeze in or crowd the bike with their car and I leave my rear tire sticking out past the nearby bumpers to keep people from rushing in on it. As long as I can throw a leg over, stand the bike up, & get out with worrying about bumping, scratching, or even touching another bike or car I'm fine.

Joecycle
Fri Jun 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Since I got yelled at for parking on the overlarge sidewalk area at our building I take up an entire space with my bike.

Same! People bitched when I parked close to the building in a spot that wasn't designated for parking, but had plenty of room. They were jealous. So now I take up an entire spot and they bitch about that. :applause:
But anywhere else I go, I'll leave room and I'm fine with 2 bikes in a spot.

ihavealegohead
Fri Jun 6th, 2008, 08:28 AM
1 bike 1 spot, unless you plan to leave at the same time.. If one bike leaves early the other bike is parked with 3/4 of the spot open, which might lead some cagers to park next to your bike.

BigE
Sat Jun 7th, 2008, 12:11 AM
On a ride to Estes a couple years back we got 11, yes Eleven!, bikes in 1 parking place. Without scratching anything up too.

455bird
Sat Jun 7th, 2008, 12:55 AM
11 :shock:?!? http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/sky_blue909/CSC%20noob%20ride%20may08/DSCN0773.jpg This is the group I was with on the noob ride, and I thought that was impressive.
If I'm in a hurry I usually park towards the back of the space so the bike can be seen easily by others looking for a spot, but there is still enough room for someone else on a bike to pass me and park in front of me. But I worry about the people next to me thinking they have another inch or two when backing out and knocking the bike over. Which is why I normally park far away from cars and typically next to some type of median or island in the parking lot. All in all, if you don't scratch my bike and it's not a TOTAL pain for me to get out, feel free to park next to me.

BigE
Sun Jun 8th, 2008, 09:34 AM
OK, I will admit we had to do some...ah, shuffling...to get all the bikes in and we may have been at touch over the line on the sidewalk side. We parked 8 side by side crossways in the space and the other 3 lined up on the side. Somewhere I have pics, I think on my other computer.

Xtremjeepn
Sun Jun 8th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I always park to allow 2-3 bikes in a spot. In 28 years I have yet to see a bike actually downed by someone rushing into a spot thinking it was open.

I do see them try to go for the spot but to actually drive into it and hit the bike is super rare.

At my office there are 2-3 guys that ride often and we all share a spot. It is nice because when one guy leaves for lunch the other bikes keep the spot when he returns. It is also a great way to meet other bikers. That is how I met one of the other CSC guys.

When I was at CSU (before there recent parking lot changes) They had little blocked off motorcycle parking areas. Just 10x10 square areas with parking blocks around them. You could only get in between the blocks. The ONLY way to get all the bikes in and out was to be able to move other bikes around. Everyone knew this and left their steering unlocked. I have found that motorcyclists tend to be VERY respectful of others bikes.

Multiple bikes in one space is not only courtious to cars in a parking lot but tends to make your bike safer than sitting all by itself. A bike sitting far off in a lot by itself has a greater change of being not seen and hit by a car flying between rows than bikes parked in a group.

tarded400
Sun Jun 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM
They left their steering unlocked? Where were you parking? I only left a note on one bike telling them they could move mine because I parked so they couldn't get out very easily because that was the only spot. I don't know how I'd feel about someone else moving my bike, and I don't think I would feel free to move someone elses... I do remember the engineering bike parking.... it was the size of 2 regular parking spots and it was solid motorcycles.

Xtremjeepn
Sun Jun 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM
This was back in 90-96. The parking by the student center and library were always packed.

tarded400
Sun Jun 8th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Looks like you took the same graduation schedule I am! That spot is still pretty crowded, but only in the warm (really warm) weather. I could park anywhere I wanted when it was below 50 degrees.

Clovis
Sun Jun 8th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I always park to leave room for another bike and it's never been an issue; likewise I try to park next to other bikes for the reasons already mentioned.

All though when I worked at Countrywide, there was this guy (one of the military units that shared the building with us) that rode a Honda Superhawk that didn't like that; I parked next to him in the same splot with plenty of room for both of us, left for lunch and came back... he had actually gone out and moved his bike to be directly in the middle and angled to take the whole spot, so some bikers don't appreciate it and are dicks.

It was a pain in the ass because while most days parking wasn't an issue, on others they had conferences or something and the parkinglot would be 100% full by 8am and I had to use one of 3 designated parking garage spots, assuming they weren't already taken.

-Clovis

Mental
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I always park to allow 2-3 bikes in a spot. In 28 years I have yet to see a bike actually downed by someone rushing into a spot thinking it was open...

My first bike (waaay back in 1989) had that happen to it three times. I worked at a movie theater. Then I started parking it on the sidewalk and folks started thinking it was a jungle gym, I actually caught one guy lifting his kid and placing him on my bike.

So then I started parking to one side of a space and even with the bumpers of the cars, usually facing out. There are a lot more bikes around now than there was back then, so its not as much of an issue. On other bases I have been at, we would do the same as mentioned, put em four to a spot and leave your steering unlocked to roll the other guy out. It was respectful of other bikes, but you usually know the guy/gal as well.

I still park to the side and forward of a spot and around here, usually find another bike in the spot when I leave, which is why I do it.

Sortarican
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 02:39 PM
One bike per one spot?!?!?!?!
What planet did you learn to ride on? That's just wasteful.
(Unless you're parking next to Shea, then you want at least 10' of clearance.)

Devaclis
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I am pretty good about making sure anyone can park next to me. except Jeff. For some reason, I subconsciously park right in the center of a spot when I know he is coming .

Sortarican
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
... except Jeff. For some reason, I subconsciously park right in the center of a spot when I know he is coming .

Yeah, right.....coincidence?
(Dana parks like a douche.):321:

Devaclis
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 03:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Funny/roberto.jpg

Sortarican
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Oh Yeah......that's not a knife....now this is a knife!

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/knifey-spoony-6582.jpg

Xtremjeepn
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Could you imagine how pissed the general public would be at a GTG if everyone parked one bike per spot?????

I can envision an entire bar parking lot full of motorcycles all 10' apart perfectly square in the middle of their own parking spot.

Sortarican
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I can envision an entire bar parking lot full of motorcycles all 10' apart perfectly square in the middle of their own parking spot.

Next time one of the group get's a ticket or hassled for parking somewhere other than a marked spot let's all do that.
It'd be a great way of making a point.

tarded400
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Ooooo boy. Wouldn't want to be the jerk I caught putting his kids on my bike.

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Jun 11th, 2008, 01:44 AM
At work there's a few older guys with their hardly davidsons

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jun 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I'll take a full spot, at the end so it can be seen IF there are plenty of spaces. If not I'll try and squeeze in. We have designated M/C spots here 1/2 wide.

Stitches
Mon Jun 16th, 2008, 11:14 PM
thanks guys, very informative.

Jadam
Thu Jun 26th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Next time one of the group get's a ticket or hassled for parking somewhere other than a marked spot let's all do that.
It'd be a great way of making a point.

+1 ^

I love parking on the sidewalk, and smile at all the suckers giving me dirty looks cuz they had to park 10 miles away. :)

jbnwc
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I, too, park on the sidewalk if it's safe and out of the way. I see it as being courteous to the cagers by not taking up their spaces.

Xtremjeepn
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I, too, park on the sidewalk if it's safe and out of the way. I see it as being courteous to the cagers by not taking up their spaces.

I always thought of it this way too. But they just don't seem to see that.

I lived in a condo for awhile and had a bike and car. Parking was limited in the lot so I would put the bike sideways at the front of the space so I could fit my bike and car in the same space.

They apparently enraged some of the neighbors that would leave me nasty notes about "reserving" a spot. They would park in the space with my bike.....then I would bang on their door at 4 am asking them to move their car so I could go for a ride:eyebrows:

I finally parked the bike in it's own space and strangely never had another issue. (but was taking up two of our limited spaces now instead of one). People just don't get it sometimes.

MetaLord 9
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 11:08 AM
People are gonna grumble, that's about all there is. Best laid plans & all..

Xtremjeepn
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I actually had a guy in college put a note on my bike that said "you need to move this bike, a car could park in this space".

jbnwc
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 11:27 AM
People are gonna grumble, that's about all there is. Best laid plans & all..

Amen - It's like the other thread about double yellow passing. You gotta just do what you need to do and ignore the few whiners who are sad about their life not being as fun as ours.

tarded400
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I actually had a guy in college put a note on my bike that said "you need to move this bike, a car could park in this space".

Funny, I had puke left on my bike in college....

Xtremjeepn
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Funny, I had puke left on my bike in college....

Haha.....buddy of mine puked ON my 1967 Camaro RS/SS one night in high school without me knowing it. He decided that if he did not clean it up I would kill him. So he spent the rest of the night (3am to 7am) washing and WAXING my BLACK car in the dark so I would not find out.

He snuck off before I found it. I came out of my house to find a sparking PERFECT Camaro. I was baffled!!! I parked my car dirty, then the next morning it was perfectly clean....hmmm.:shocked:

He confessed the story years later.

tarded400
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM
apparently they don't have the same courtesy at the dorms.

dm_gsxr
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
There's a post up on STN that at least one of the garages downtown has put in a mechanism that is dangerous to motorcyclists and as such has banned motorcycles from the garage (the OP didn't post the name of the company though).

In that event, I'd take a single spot and ask that other riders do the same to show just how many spaces could be taken, especially now.

Back in Virginia, when I parked in the building garage, they'd try to park me against a side wall or in a corner when I rode in. I told them no way. If I have to pay full price to park, I get a full space to park in. You want me to park next to the wall, then I get a break.

The VRE had free parking so I'd park in the slashed spots in the corners instead of in a space. The garage would get pretty full so I was being courteous.

Generally though in lots, I'll park back or front with the bumper and in the center of the spot for doors and folks who hurry into a spot. On the street I'll park to leave room for one more rider.

Carl

Kevin
Sat Oct 18th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I only saw a couple mentions here of parking on the sidewalk, and I've always wondered about this. I parked on the sidewalk amidst a sea of scooters downtown once and got a ticket 'cause I was over 50cc. Now I take up a whole spot and don't feel bad about it! But at the grocery store, kmart, or wherever if it's a big sidewalk, I'll park there if I can find a spot that's out of the way of pedestrians, but I always feel wierd when I drive up the little walkway ramp to get onto the sidewalk. I got a warning ticket at the mall for doing this once, so now I park in the "designated" bicycle parking spot in the parking lot, where there's ample room for the bike. Haven't gotten a ticket yet.
Do the rest of you guys use the sidewalk? What's your thoughts about this?

longrider
Sat Oct 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I frequently park on the sidewalk and have never been hassled about it. Whether or not I do it just depends on the layout of the building, I want to be able to get up on the sidewalk without having to ride through pedestrians, and the parking spot needs to be out of any walking paths.

Dogsbody
Sun Oct 26th, 2008, 10:52 AM
At work we have covered parking for the bikes and all the cars are outside (sweet!). They took like four cager slots divided and painted them creating a section for 15 bikes and there are two sections for the bikes. My only gripe is this dude on a trike, he takes up two spots and then some, personally I think he should be out with the cagers or in a handicapped spot (why else would you be on a trike?). Sometimes if I come in late, all the bike spots are full then I have to go out into the hinterlands with the cagers. Then I do take up a full spot and stick my nose out a tad.