PDA

View Full Version : Random Facts

Matty
Sat May 31st, 2008, 05:06 PM
1. Most American car horns honk in the key of F.

2. The name Wendy was made up for the book "Peter Pan."

3. Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

4. Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie.

5. The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.

6. Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has about thirty percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the twentieth floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what is occurring, relax and correct itself.

7. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself.

8. The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; '7' was selected after the original 7-ounce containers and 'UP' for the direction of the bubbles.

9. 101 Dalmatians, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and Mulan are the only Disney cartoons where both parents are present and don't die throughout the movie. .

10. A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.

11. 'Stewardesses' is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.

12. To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs - it will let you go instantly.

13. Reindeer like to eat bananas.

14. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver and purple.

15. The word "samba" means "to rub navels together."

16. Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.

17. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

18. The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II Killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.

19. More people are killed annually by donkeys than airplane crashes.

20. A 'jiffy' is a unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

tarded400
Sat May 31st, 2008, 10:45 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I highly doubt a cat could survive a 20 story drop. Without wind resistance, I get around 80 mph from that.

tm06r1
Sat May 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM
I am glad I am a pig

dominatrix
Sat May 31st, 2008, 10:57 PM
4. Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie

and one hit of LSD

dirkterrell
Sat May 31st, 2008, 11:05 PM
8. The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; '7' was selected after the original 7-ounce containers and 'UP' for the direction of the bubbles.

Actually, there is some uncertainty about the origin of the name. I've always thought it had to do with the fact that originally 7-Up had lithium, an anti-depressant, in it. Lithium has atomic weight 7. It is an anti-depressant, hence 7-Up. But the guy who invented it never, to my knowledge, explained the origin of the name.

Dirk

tarded400
Sat May 31st, 2008, 11:11 PM
Well we're just crapping all over someones parade...

Aracheon
Sat May 31st, 2008, 11:17 PM
21.) Laguna Seca has a 1000' elevation change at the corkscrew.

siriuschris
Sat May 31st, 2008, 11:35 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I highly doubt a cat could survive a 20 story drop. Without wind resistance, I get around 80 mph from that.

omg you're stupid...they have 9 lives? duh.

just kidding.

And yeah it's great to be a pig.

sprtbkbabe
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 08:17 AM
21.) Laguna Seca has a 1000' elevation change at the corkscrew.

:spit:

dm_gsxr
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
Actually cats have survived higher drops. In New York the humane society has received one cat that survived a high drop. I don't remember the exact height but it was quite high (the paper received quite a few complaints about the folks who were testing how high a cat could survive a fall; the paper replied that it was from the humane society and not some macabre test).

Also, Mel Blanc wasn't allergic. He just hated carrots. He'd chew up carrots for the "scenes" but then spit them into a handy box. I saw that on a Mel Blanc documentary. If he were allergic, he'd have had a reaction even from chewing (I'm sensitive to chemicals in growing carrots and I get a prickly reaction as soon as I start chewing a carrot; I have to ask for no carrots in restaurant salads).

22) There are tabs on the sides of most boxes of aluminum foil, plastic wrap, and wax paper to prevent the rolls from popping out when you use them. Folks don't realize they're there though and don't use them.

Carl

TFOGGuys
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Facetiously is the only word in the English language that contains all of the vowels in order.

Aracheon
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Facetiously is the only word in the English language that contains all of the vowels in order.

Not quite. ;)

"Abstentious."

Sonic Boom
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Where do I go to apply to be a "Feline Height Survival engineer"?

I'd do it for free.

tarded400
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
Not quite. ;)

"Abstentious."

Wheres the y, man? Don't forget y!!

Mother Goose
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
How are you not going to get wind resistance falling to the ground? :lol: We're not in space! ;)

AND....

14. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver and purple.

Ummm hello?? Purple Nurple?

dallas
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM
Wheres the y, man? Don't forget y!!
That is only sometimes.........

XJ600s
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarded400 http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=307674#post307674)

How are you not going to get wind resistance falling to the ground? :lol: We're not in space! ;) He's talking about using potential energy (=mgh) and kinetic energy (=.5mv^2) to determine the cat's velocity (or using the kinematic equations for motion, but you arrive at the same answer). That is, the only force acting on the cat is gravity.

And not that it matters, but when I run through the equation, I actually get the cat falling roughly 300 feet at 94.766 mph. I could see it happen...but then again, I could also see the mess if the cat couldn't land it.

tarded400
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I only used 200 ft... I thought it was 10 ft/story? Either way... thats a lot of energy to be soaked up in 4 or 5 inches of travel(leg length)

Devaclis
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Why do you hate the kittahs?

http://www.videosift.com/video/Narcoleptic-Cat

Sortarican
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I highly doubt a cat could survive a 20 story drop......

From 20 stories it has time to orient itself via it's cat/toast anti-grav unit:

Devaclis
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
You need to show it in action!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Funny/kittahs/wMTMwNjY3OTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.gif

TT5.0
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Leaving out wind resistance makes your calculation totally invalid. The force on the cat from wind resistance will increase with velocity and the surface area that the cat presents. Eventually, the force will equal the force of gravity and the cat will reach terminal velocity. Since the cat has much less mass than a person, its terminal velocity will be much lower.

Ever hold an ant in your hand and drop it to the ground? That probably scales similar to dropping a cat off of a building. Ants survive with no problem. Their mass is so low that their terminal velocity is very low and they never get up enough speed to go splat.

And yes, Sortarican's explanation is much better.

From wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_righting_reflex

In addition to the righting reflex cats have a number of other features that will reduce damage from a fall. Their small size, light bone structure, and thick fur decrease their terminal velocity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity). Furthermore, once righted they may also spread out their body to increase drag and slow the fall to some extent. [4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_righting_reflex#cite_note-berkeley-3) A falling cat's terminal velocity is 60mph (100 km/h) whereas that of a falling man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man) in a free-fall position is 130mph (210 km/h). At terminal velocity they also relax as they fall which protects them to some extent on impact. Padded paws will also soften impact.

Sortarican
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
You need to show it in action!!

Not all of us have kissed enough Ralph to get their file limit increased like you.

Devaclis
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
haha I don't attach images, I link them :)

Sortarican
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
haha I don't attach images, I link them :)

Won't let me link it either.:(

tarded400
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Since the cat has much less mass than a person, its terminal velocity will be much lower.

Ever hold an ant in your hand and drop it to the ground? That probably scales similar to dropping a cat off of a building. Ants survive with no problem. Their mass is so low that their terminal velocity is very low and they never get up enough speed to go splat.

Mass actually has nothing to do with terminal velocity, just acceleration. The fur would affect it a bit, but even if that 80 or 94 mph is cut in half, I don't think it could survive. About the ants thing, they're pretty amazing, but I would suspect that they have a ton more surface area per mass than humans, but I have no idea.

TT5.0
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Mass actually has nothing to do with terminal velocity, just acceleration. The fur would affect it a bit, but even if that 80 or 94 mph is cut in half, I don't think it could survive. About the ants thing, they're pretty amazing, but I would suspect that they have a ton more surface area per mass than humans, but I have no idea.

So, if mass has nothing to do with terminal velocity, think about this:

You have two inflatable balls, exactly identical in size, shape, and material. One is filled with air, and the other is filled with lead. Drop them both from the top of a very tall building. Which will have the higher terminal velocity?

Mass is directly related to the force of gravity acting on the object, which the force of the wind resistance has to counter to reach terminal velocity.

Devaclis
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
What is the velocity of an unladen swollow?

Sonic Boom
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
African or European?

A 5 ounce bird cannot carry a one pound coconut.

Am I right?

tarded400
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:10 PM
So, if mass has nothing to do with terminal velocity, think about this:

You have two inflatable balls, exactly identical in size, shape, and material. One is filled with air, and the other is filled with lead. Drop them both from the top of a very tall building. Which will have the higher terminal velocity?

Mass is directly related to the force of gravity acting on the object, which the force of the wind resistance has to counter to reach terminal velocity.

I know that in a vacuum, with just gravitational forces acting on the body, a feather and a bowling ball will fall at the same speed. 1/2mv^2=mgh, so mass cancels out of the equation, and you get velocity being directly correlated to height times the gravitational constant with no regard to mass...

TT5.0
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
There is no terminal velocity in a vacuum. The amount of air resistance required stop a falling object from accelerating is dependant on the "weight" of the object, which is its mg. The force of air resistance has to overcome the force produced by the weight of the object. The weight of the object is really its mass times g. Therefore, terminal velocity is dependent on the objects mass.

Anyway, since this conversation has gone a bit too far, here's a convenient link:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/newtlaws/u2l3e.html

I mean, we were talking about throwing cats off of buildings right?

Chilly
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:37 PM

Seeing how I went to school for bugs, I can't help this one...

Know how you see the bugs the size of cars; impossible. the exoskeleton will hit failure, because surface area increases x2, and volume x3... So, the poor lil' buggy goes mush... Wonder what the coefficient of kitty fur is? Hairless kitties are faster, Que No?

tarded400
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Alright. Scientific testing is required. Everyone- search craigslist for free cats to a good home. :D