PDA

View Full Version : 520 convertion??

bs_nate
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
I want to do a 520 convertion on my bike but am not sure if it is worth it... Does any one out there know if this is the way I should go... Or is it just a huge waste of cash???

Spiderman
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Why do you think you want to do a 520 conversion? What bike is it (make/model/cc)? If it's a race bike, it's a no-brainer, but for a street bike, personally, I don't think it's worth it... sure you're bike will accellerate faster, but the thinner the chain, the quicker it'll wear, and the sooner it'll need to be replaced. This effect is amplified on a liter bike vs. a 600 (it'll wear faster & need to be replaced sooner than on a 600).

455bird
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM
I did it on my bike (street) but only because I was getting new sprockets. I couldn't tell of any performance gain and unless you're buying new sprockets and chain anyway I'd say save your money. There's lots of other stuff out there that will give you more bang for your buck.

bs_nate
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 09:29 PM
It is a super hawk 996.. I was looking into the 520 cuz I saw it for $159 with both of the sprockets and a 20,000 mile warranty.. I need a new chain and I am only at a little over 10,000. It comes with an XW chain instead of the normal o-ring chain.. So I have no clue what to do.... A new chain is going to put me back about just as much so I dont know if I should just go for it.

counterfit zx10r
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM
it still depends. Sounds like you're looking at one of the RK kits with vortex sprockets. If so, those kits come with an aluminum rear sprocket that will wear out even faster then stock. As for buying everything seperate, you can usually the same RK x-ring chain for $90+ (depending on legnth) and about $40 for a steel rear sprocket and $20 for a front and then you'll get a lot better mileage out of the rear. Also, you can choose what size sprockets you want to get better acceleration or slightly better fuel econmy.

reddeth
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:42 PM
it still depends. Sounds like you're looking at one of the RK kits with vortex sprockets. If so, those kits come with an aluminum rear sprocket that will wear out even faster then stock. As for buying everything seperate, you can usually the same RK x-ring chain for $90+ (depending on legnth) and about $40 for a steel rear sprocket and $20 for a front and then you'll get a lot better mileage out of the rear. Also, you can choose what size sprockets you want to get better acceleration or slightly better fuel econmy.
I would HIGHLY recommend you NOT get anything with a Vortex sprocket. I put the bike down (my old GSX-R) and it literally sheared a good 3/4'ths of the teeth off (it was a Vortex sprocket obviously).

Also, when I replaced said chain and sprocket I went with the 520 kit (was the same price, so I figured why not), I'm sure numbers wise there was a difference, but I definitely couldn't tell. I think (unless the cost is about the same) the money is better spent elsewhere on the bike.

dragos13
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
The 520 kit from Vortex is very good for the price. If you are replacing the stuff anyways, might as well put on the best. I have ran Vortex for two years, and my last sprocket on my race bike lasted about half a season. There is nothing wrong with Vortex products, yes an aluminum sprocket will wear out faster but for $130 for the whole kit, you can't loose.