PDA

View Full Version : Really nice SW Co ride

Dodd
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
So I finally got out and did my first overnight. Nothing serious, but got some miles on the blackbird.

I left Winter Park and headed west on 70. My original plan was to go through Leadville down then over Independance, but it was still closed. So I meandered south from Glenwood on to 133 south out of Carbondale. Man I love that road. McClure was nice and clear, and the south side, 17 miles that run down the pass and along next to Paoina Res, unbelieveable. Lots of big, fast clean sweepers. And with the exception of the occasional rock (Or 30 lb. Marmot) on the road, I was by myself.

The town of Somerset is a bit sketch, not really a town as much as an employee housing plot for the coal miners. I went through Thursday and saw two kids with Iron Madien tail gunner shirts shooting at something with a redrider bb gun. Both those little buggars looked at me long and hard, I fully expected to catch a bb in the butt. I didn't, but I'll be damned if the same two were at the same place, wearing the same clothes, with the same gun and looking at me the same way the next day.

I didn't give em' the chance, twisted the ole' grip and that big fat lazy Honda 1100 took off. Thats when I had the marmot run in.

I got caught in a bit of a Cow jam outside Hotchkiss on the way back. There were like 200 head being wrangled right down the higway. I was first behind them, steering around the sh*t, feet dragging, engine overheating at a whopping 3 mph. One of the cowboys on a big arse horse decided to have some fun with me, which I didn't realze until I was in the middle of the mess. After 2 miles or so behind the mooing crap machines, a gap opened in the cows. The wrangler looked right at me and gave me a nod like "Go ahead". Big mistake.

I started moving through the cows and my gap subsequently closed, locking me and my honda square in the middle of the heard. I'm sure it was funny as hell to everyone else, but I was not amused. Fearing spooking the critters into a rampage I didn't honk or rev the motor, just kind of went with the flow. 200 cows and one black helmet right in the middle. lol.

Another gap opened shortly after and I didn't waste any time, spinning the crap off my rear tire on to another cow I got out. Irritating at the time, but hey, thats why we tour. Interesting to say the least.

Just some Grand County info for you all, I found out the other day that the Grand lake Lodge is NOT going to open for a second year. Apparently a pending sale fell through. But there are lots of other fine places in Grand Lake to stop for a cold drink and some grub. So if you guys get a chance come on up to GC, stop in Winter Park and have a bite, tootle on up to GL and spend some time up here. The weather is great! NOTE- Berthoud has NOT been swept yet, and the asphault is in shreads. Be carefull!

Dodd

pilot
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 10:02 PM
Great story, thanks.

Clovis
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Awesome trip, any pictures?? :)

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sun Jun 1st, 2008, 11:24 PM
Good read. Thanks for sharing.

Rednarb
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
A pick if you in that herd of cattle would have been priceless!