PDA

View Full Version : Another interesting ride

Warren
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Once again I had an interesting ride yesterday. I started out from MOCO and road with some CSC'ers down to Deckers. I decided that I didn't want to be done yet, so I rode up and over squaw pass. I love that road. I still wasn't ready to get off the bike so I decided to ride up to Winter Park. Berthoud was fun, but definitely sandy and littered with potholes so if you go up there be careful! After that I rode up 40 to 125. 125 was pretty good, but there is a lot of sand in a couple places up near the top. Just on the other side of Willow Creek Pass I came around a corner and there right in the middle of the road was a young black bear. It took one look at me and took off into the bushes. I then took the cutoff from Rand to Gould. This is a dirt road and seemed to be far looser than normal. After 20 minutes of sliding the bike around on gravel, I came to 14 and went over cameron pass. This road was also in pretty good shape, but watch out for sand on the west side of the pass right before the top. Once on the other side of Cameron Pass I came upon an accident. I didn't get a good look at the bike that went down but it appeared to be a kawi sportbike. The cops were already on the scene and everyone was walking around so I didn't stop, but I did see an ambulance shortly after. I really hope everyone was alright. Then I rode through stove prarie. I love that road, but watchout, the trickiest corner on the road is covered in sand and is really sketchy. Right after that I came up on a spot where there was a bunch of gravel on the road. It was in a really weird place so I took a look over the edge and there at the bottom of hill was a full size van on it's side. I parked the bike and walked down there, but no one was there. The engine was still warm though, so it had happened recently. from the tracks you could tell that the van aired off of the road and landed on all four tires at the bottom of the creek bed :shocked: then drove up the opposite hillside and flipped over. It was pretty crazy looking. Overall it was a great ride. Enjoy it out there and be safe!

pilot
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
Another epic "lone wolf" ride. I smell an Iron Butt in your future.

Sully
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
I smell an Iron Butt in your future.

:shocked::shocked: whoahh.. smelling what? :wtf:

Sounds like quite an adventure Warren.. Glad you were able to get out and ejoy the day ! :bananna:

reddeth
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
How was the Squaw Pass? I love that road as well, so many different types of switchbacks. Last time I tried to go up though it was quite filled with sand.

Warren
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Another epic "lone wolf" ride. I smell an Iron Butt in your future.

I have been close to 1000 miles a few times, I don't know though. I have never cared enough about stuff like an iron butt cert. though.

Warren
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:19 PM
:shocked::shocked: whoahh.. smelling what? :wtf:

Sounds like quite an adventure Warren.. Glad you were able to get out and ejoy the day ! :bananna:

Hell yeah! It was amazing! I wish I could have got out on Saturday too!

Warren
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
How was the Squaw Pass? I love that road as well, so many different types of switchbacks. Last time I tried to go up though it was quite filled with sand.

Squaw pass was pretty good. There was some sand in the road, but there was always a clean line through it. I kind of took it easy as it was my first time over this year and I have seen more than one bike in the ditch on that road.

Warren
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Check out the pictures from the Trail Ridge ride under trips and touring for pics of the van!

siriuschris
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:30 AM
I decided to ride up to Winter Park...Berthoud was fun...After that I rode up 40 to 125...I came around a corner and there right in the middle of the road was a young black bear. It took one look at me and took off into the bushes...I came to 14 and went over cameron pass...

Awesome! I ran this same route yesterday as well!
Even to the point of seeing a baby bear on 125! :shocked:
How weird is that :)
What do you ride? I wonder if we saw each other at all.
Was a great day to be out!

Chris

pilot
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
I have been close to 1000 miles a few times, I don't know though. I have never cared enough about stuff like an iron butt cert. though.Sacrilege!

Warren
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Sacrilege!

I think my dad is an iron butt member. The problem with me is I leave the house planning on going for shorter rides and end up riding all day :hump:

Warren
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Awesome! I ran this same route yesterday as well!
Even to the point of seeing a baby bear on 125! :shocked:
How weird is that :)
What do you ride? I wonder if we saw each other at all.
Was a great day to be out!

Chris

That is funny. I ride a blue fz1 that is currently all taped together.

pilot
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I think my dad is an iron butt member. The problem with me is I leave the house planning on going for shorter rides and end up riding all day :hump:If you keep basic records (see the IBA site) you might just accidentally do one good enough for the run.

I've one planned this month--just to get it out of the way--and have some fun, too.

Warren
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
If you keep basic records (see the IBA site) you might just accidentally do one good enough for the run.

I've one planned this month--just to get it out of the way--and have some fun, too.

One of these days I'll do it.

pilot
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
:)sounds good. You definitely have it in you and the machine.
One of these days I'll do it.

Sortarican
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
LOL,
Who else is worried that Warren is turning into the CSC's Croc Hunter.
(Watch out for stingrays while riding, those things can be deadly.)

Warren
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
LOL,
Who else is worried that Warren is turning into the CSC's Croc Hunter.
(Watch out for stingrays while riding, those things can be deadly.)

Once last year I came around the corner to find ten head of cattle in the road. Between animals in the road and the crazy ass girls I somehow meet, it's a dangerous world out there. A guys gotta watch out for himself.