PDA

View Full Version : trying to get on

oldschool32
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Hey hows it going.. Im looking in to a super moto bike, dont know much about them though... Ive rode street and dirt... Pretty much i guess my question would be is how much abuse can they take on a trail???

reddeth
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
I don't have to much (read: None at all) experience with mine on a trail, but I can tell you that the street tires don't really like trail riding. Anything above a well worn dirt trail is tricky, however the nice thing is that if you invest in another set of rims it doesn't take long to change out the wheels and there you have a plated dirt bike.

Bueller
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
How much abuse can you take? :lol:
Riding trails is possible, I do it once in awhile but it is definitly interesting riding Rampart on slicks.

oldschool32
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
lol no i was going to invest in the nob tires first and try to pick up the excel rim package its expensive though..

oldschool32
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
well i guess my next question is what kind to go with?? I looked at the drz this afternoon but wanna see what else is out there.. Will the moto act pretty much the same as in dirtbike on the trail??? Thanks for the help guys, I really need to get back on two wheels :)

reddeth
Mon Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
I couldn't tell you on trail riding but the DRZ has my endorsement. It's an older, reliable, low(er) mantinence bike, it's not as powerful (it's 400cc's compared to the 525 KTM or something else) but thats easily fixed with a few upgrades (although it's still QUITE fun and the smaller motor isn't that much of a drawback)

oldschool32
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Ok cool... So what if i boutht the honda 450 how much would i be looking at to turn street legal and be a moto bike??? Possible want to get back into racing as well, looks like a blast on the track

Bueller
Tue Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
You don't want to put a crf450 on the street

reddeth
Wed Jun 4th, 2008, 11:51 PM
You don't want to put a crf450 on the street
Again, no personal experience, but from anecdotal stories you DO NOT want a CRF450 on the street.

The best way to do it, in my opinion, is find a bike (used or new) thats already titled and street legal, that way you're just looking for tires, rims, and maybe brakes which can all be bought in packages from Motostrano.com

Bueller
Thu Jun 5th, 2008, 05:54 AM
http://epicmotosports.com/supermoto.aspx

oldschool32
Thu Jun 5th, 2008, 10:10 PM
ok ive been looking around and i believe thats the way im gonna go found a 03 wr 450 in good shape for 3500 think im gonna buy then buy the kit.... thanks

tarded400
Sat Jun 14th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I'd go with the DRZ, but thats just me. You wouldn't have the benefit of the dirt wheels, but you would have the SM wheels. I threw distanzias on mine, and I could hit the track or trail in the same day. They did pretty good unless you're in mud. It won't be nearly as powerful as the WR or CRF or basically any other bike out there, but other than change the oil, first valve change is at 16k miles. Gas it up and go. I am a little biased though.