PDA

View Full Version : DOT race tires without tire warmers?

TopTier
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Being a newb to the MRA I need some advise. I need to replace my tires and just wondering if I should stay with street tires or go with DOT race tires. I don't have tires warmers, generator or a front stand yet. Would I be ok running race tires without tire warmers? I know race tires will be a better tire but I'm worried about getting them up to temp at the beginning of the race. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

dragos13
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
We are talking about track riding right? If so, use only track tires. Stay away from street tires while on the track.

It might take a lap or two to get the tires warmed up, but once they are warm they will stick way better then street. Just take the first couple laps easy to get a feel for them. If you want to check out some Michelin take-offs, I have a couple sets. $40 per set, let me know!

TopTier
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Even during a race?
yeah I would love to try a set. are they 120/180?

dragos13
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 12:41 PM
well, you will probably want warmers by the time you are racing. have you looked for some cheap tyre sox? anything is better then running out on cold tires.

for the race, you will get 1 warmup lap. this can help get some temp into your tires. bottom line, i dont suggest street tires to anyone that is on a track, racing or not.

they are 120/180. soft PRC front with either medium or medium/soft rear.

GNGSXR
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM
get race tires. you will stick better which will help you be more confident with the bike.
try and look for a used set of tire warmers.
woodcraft also has a good set for a decent price brand new as well.
i picked up a used generator for $50 off craigs list. works great for running 2 sets of warmers and a fan to dry my sweaty suit off.
or you can rent a set of warmers on race day.
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=6193&highlight=tire+warmer+rentals

mayhem
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM
ebay has tire warmers for 189.00 new..............not the best, but there better than nothing at all......always run dot race or slicks on the track...i race without warmers.....only cause money say's i have to right now....................

TopTier
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to give dragos13's Michelin take-offs a try for the next track day. What other tire options do I have? How many watt generator should I be looking for?

Wahooman
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 08:11 PM
http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/712019394.html

This should run a set of warmers just fine....cheap, working, etc, etc.
Just thought I would help......