View Full Version : Flex fuel bike MINE

DavidofColorado
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Will my bike run on flex fuel?

01 ZX9

GNGSXR
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM
short answer is no.
you have to tune/replace parts on your bike to deliver/handle more fuel when using E85. E85 has a BTU rating somewhere around 80000 and gasoline is 124800. This means it will take more E85 to travel the same distance as you would on crapoline.
You would have to tune your bike to deliver more fuel than it is currently delivering.

Its very do-able to convert your bike but you cant just go to an E85 pump, put it in your bike, and expect it to run great without the proper setup.

The_Jackel
Mon Jun 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
We are currently doing E-85 setups on several bikes. Its not as hard/expensive as people believe. We could get you setup but we are in the springs.

DavidofColorado
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Thanks guys. Is there another way to use it without coverting completly to e85? Like a ratio of more gas to e85 to get the best of both worlds. I am guessing it would require a full conversion but I thought I would ask.

The_Jackel
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
You can switch back and forth but you would have to rejet everytime you did. You can do a mix but same thing, the jetting would be crazy.

Bashed
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Will my bike run on flex fuel?

01 ZX9

Is the 30+ miles to the gallon not good enough?
I would suggest a Honda Metropolitan then.

BigE
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Get a Triumph triple. I get 40mpg+ on average and on a ride out east cruising at 70-75 hit 60mpg.

salsashark
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 02:08 PM
^^ +1

The_Jackel
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 02:43 PM
You will get worse gas mileage on E85 but its cheaper a gallon. So you will refuel more often but it is cheaper per mile.

dragos13
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I thought a sportbike was the answer to high gas prices. Guess some things are never good enough lol.

rybo
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I know Ben Fox did some experimenting with this a year or so ago and found that there were several problems with doing it:

1) The Rubber fuel lines would swell up and break with the ethanol in them
2) In his fuel injected Ducati the injectors simply didn't have the capacity to deliver enough fuel to the engine to keep up with the added demand it will have for the lower energy fuel.

Not sure if you would have the same problems, but these are factors to consider for sure.

I've done the math for my truck and in the end it works out to about the same money to run e85 or regular....

Ninja Nate
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I thought a sportbike was the answer to high gas prices. Guess some things are never good enough lol.

Nope, not good enough...

When I jump on my bikes, it always seems that Ifind the LONGEST (and twisty) way to my destination. Then you add in cost of tires, and other maintenance... Basically I wish I had bought my brothers Jetta diesel, cant beat 50 mpg even if it is slow :turtle:

DavidofColorado
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I had some carb work done on my bike. It went from 50 mpg to 25. But it idles better. I tried to get in touch with the shop to let them know about my concerns but I am sure I cam off as a PITA customer. So I left it alone for a while then I noticed that the back tire they installed was put on backwards and I got back with them again. I still haven't heard back from them. I am getting frustrated and getting ready to go down there. But my ADD kicked in and I was wondering if the e85 would work in my bike? The compression is high enough for sure but I didn't know if it was jetted for it. I now know it not a great idea but its doable.

DavidofColorado
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Nope, not good enough...

When I jump on my bikes, it always seems that Ifind the LONGEST (and twisty) way to my destination. Then you add in cost of tires, and other maintenance... Basically I wish I had bought my brothers Jetta diesel, cant beat 50 mpg even if it is slow :turtle:

You can find the slowest and boring-est road on your bike it will be like the jetta only cooler.

The_Jackel
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM
1) The Rubber fuel lines would swell up and break with the ethanol in them
2) In his fuel injected Ducati the injectors simply didn't have the capacity to deliver enough fuel to the engine to keep up with the added demand it will have for the lower energy fuel.

Its a Ducati.

DavidofColorado
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 07:50 PM
With fuel injection can't you remap it to deliver more fuel?

sky_blue
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Buy a Ninja 650r, average 50mpg, long hall 60 mpg, and it still beats a jetta, and you can mod it with bars and other stuff to make it fun in the twisties.

The_Jackel
Tue Jun 10th, 2008, 10:30 PM
With fuel injection can't you remap it to deliver more fuel?

Yes. Its not a big deal and we have several bikes with the setup now.

DavidofColorado
Wed Jun 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I was getting about 150 - 180 mpg out of a tank before I had to switch to res. Now its like 100 or 110.

DavidofColorado
Sun Jun 29th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Well I am sorry to report that I have been running flex fuel in my bike for 2 weeks now with no problems. The only difference is I didn't use 100% flex fuel. I instead filled it 50/50 so its like 65% regular gas. I haven't notice any problems yet. Not even crappy idle.

tripledigits
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 07:54 AM
You'd probably see more gain by gearing up your bike for the highway. You'd lose acceleration, but you'd gain mileage, and wouldn't have to convert your bike's fuel system. I personally wouldn't play the E85 game - there's not enough gain for the expense, and some potential pitfalls as discussed above.

DavidofColorado
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks. I just wanted to try it since its something besides taking it at the pump. I did notice this morning when I first started out that it was a little hesitant here and there until the bike was warm. But it wasn't bad at all. Thought I would share it with you guys. You seem to know it already. Just confirming your suspicions.