PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix vs Teknic Supervent

Erratic
Mon May 19th, 2003, 10:27 PM
O.K. so i got my leather but once it hits 80-90 degrees it's way to hot, so i need a summer jacket for those really hot days. I'm thinking the phoenix or the supervent. I can get both at exactly the same price so I'm not sure which to go with. I know everyone and their mother knows the phoenix but what about the supervent by Teknic? Has anyone ever had one? I would really appreciate everyone's comments and advice. Oh ya, has anyone ever crashed wearing either jacket and if so how did it hold up?
Thanx

Mr. B
Mon May 19th, 2003, 11:47 PM
I bought the Supervent a while back and I love it. It has a great fit to it and doesn't feel sloppy and loose like the Phoenix did on me. And for the price you can't beat it. I haven't crashed wearing it and hope not to but i'm pretty sure they'd both hold up about the same. So i'd say go with the Supervent but that's just my opinion.

Brandon :bananna:

Anonymous
Tue May 20th, 2003, 08:31 AM
I just got the Mach 1 by Fieldsheer - it's awesome!!!

$120 MSRP (that's not what I paid ;) ) and you get hard armor in the shoulders & elbows, and a full-sleeve zip-out liner!

http://www.fieldsheer.com/products.php?display=mach1

They also have the Mach 2, which has perforated leather in high-impact areas.

I also like the color selection that Fieldsheer offers on this jacket over all the others that I've seen to date.

rocktboy
Tue May 20th, 2003, 12:01 PM
all those textile based so called summer jackets claim "abrasion resistant". after looking at my full racing leathers and how they wear and tear after a crash, i have doubts on how those meshy textile material will hold up in a crash. the various pads and guards don't do you any good if they move around alot. in my opinion buying those types of jackets is like buying your own piece of mind. they don't do you much good in a real crash. it's like putting a "fragile" label on your box when you ship UPS, that label is for YOU, not for the package handlers that UPS employs.....

sure they are 1000% better than t-shirts, but if you are spending >$100 anyway who not get something with real protection? I personally wouldn't get anything less than a perforated leather jacket. or some of the kevler reinforced cordura jackets....dress for the fall, not for the ride. 8)

Erratic
Tue May 20th, 2003, 07:50 PM
hey Spidey thanks for the link seems like a good jacket does it keep you nice, cool, and comfortable? And what did you end up paying cause i've found the supervent and phoenix both at $69 which isn't to bad. Rocktboy the supervent does have cordura.

Anonymous
Wed May 21st, 2003, 07:47 AM
Since the Mach 1 is a new jacket, you won't find any closeout prices (which is what it sounds like you found on the other 2). I ended up paying $99 & change.

It's definately cooler than even my vented textile jacket. When you're just standing around, it still gets hot , but once you start moving, it's almost like you're not even wearing a jacket! I bought it primarily to commute during the summer. My vented jacket last year was too warm. It would also be a great jacket for summer touring.

Polumbian
Wed May 21st, 2003, 09:03 AM
Spidey, is that some sort of private hook-up you have? Or are you able to share the source?

Anonymous
Wed May 21st, 2003, 09:35 AM
Spidey, is that some sort of private hook-up you have? Or are you able to share the source?I wish I could share, but it's a private hook-up, sorry.
:idea: You might be able to get the same hook-up for yourself - all you'd have to do is buy a new R1 at full retail, then work out a deal with the salesrep. :lol:

Polumbian
Wed May 21st, 2003, 10:55 AM
I figured it might be something like that, but I thought I'd try anyway. :lol:

Erratic
Wed May 21st, 2003, 07:18 PM
Cool thanks for the info. I think for $69 i'll pick one of the 2 it's a hard price to beat!

BlueDevil
Fri May 23rd, 2003, 08:46 AM
all those textile based so called summer jackets claim "abrasion resistant". after looking at my full racing leathers and how they wear and tear after a crash, i have doubts on how those meshy textile material will hold up in a crash. the various pads and guards don't do you any good if they move around alot. in my opinion buying those types of jackets is like buying your own piece of mind. they don't do you much good in a real crash. it's like putting a "fragile" label on your box when you ship UPS, that label is for YOU, not for the package handlers that UPS employs.....

sure they are 1000% better than t-shirts, but if you are spending >$100 anyway who not get something with real protection? I personally wouldn't get anything less than a perforated leather jacket. or some of the kevler reinforced cordura jackets....dress for the fall, not for the ride. 8)

I agree. I saw a mild slow speed crash and it shreded the jacket as easy as a sweat shirt. Misewell by a jean jacket for 40.00 and save your self the money. They are worthless. No offense intended.

Anonymous
Fri May 23rd, 2003, 09:20 AM

I agree. I saw a mild slow speed crash and it shreded the jacket as easy as a sweat shirt. Misewell by a jean jacket for 40.00 and save your self the money. They are worthless. No offense intended.
That's funny, I was skeptical when they first came out, but I read testimonials on the Joe Rocket website that said thay actually worked. Let me see if I can find it... here it is: http://www.joerocket.com/features/testimonials.cfm (scroll down about 1/2 way)

These jackets may not survive a crash, but they will protect you in one (more than a jean jacket will!).

Hoopty
Fri May 23rd, 2003, 09:54 AM
Big J crashed at about 40 MPH in his Pheonix jacket, he got a very small rash on one arm, and the jacket showed barely any damage. :up:

Erratic
Fri May 23rd, 2003, 06:07 PM
I met dave last night and he had a phoenix on that he was wearing when he wrecked at 70mph. the only damage was a rippid shoulder and the rest of the jacket was in good shape. I think i'm almost convinced.

TWISTED
Sat May 24th, 2003, 01:43 AM
I bought the Fieldsheer a couple of months ago and am pretty happy with it. Looked like it would hold up better than the Phoenix if you went down.

DucBloke
Sun May 25th, 2003, 09:56 AM
It makes me happy that I bought the Phoenix jacket, hearing that it has held up in 2 difference crashes well. I have one myself, but haven't "tested its strength" (touch wood). This should help in your decision.

Duc'nnit
Sun Jun 1st, 2003, 06:18 AM
Go with the Phoenix, I just bought one this week!! Totally bitchin in the heat and one of my friends went through two accidents and it kept him well protected! I dont know what price your looking at, but I picked mine up at Fay's for 115.00.

Chris

Erratic
Sun Jun 1st, 2003, 11:12 AM
Chris, Chris, Chris, shame on you man, $115 :o I would have expected better from the "HAGGLE MASTER" :lol: New Enough.com has them for $69. Almost half the price. You should know by now that Fay Meyers has the worst prices on almost everything. I'm disappointed in you :slap: Just kidding, but seriously I would take it back and order one.

Duc'nnit
Sun Jun 1st, 2003, 12:19 PM
TOUCHE! :321: Again, watch the tax and freight fees when ordering elsewhere. :D And if they dont have any then go for it! 8) Right now I am working them for the Icon Titanium gloves.....those things are sooooo comfortable!

Chris
:P