PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjustment - 06 R1

Spy007
Thu Jun 12th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Ok, I havent dont the valve adjustment on this bike before but its due. I have downloaded the manual and am all set, but the manual doesnt mention whether or not there are gaskets that will need to be replaced. Does anyone know if there are? Id hate to tear the covers off and find out that I cant ride it till i get a gasket or two.

jimwallace
Thu Jun 12th, 2008, 02:28 PM
there shouldnt be. the valve cover gaskets are typically reusable nowadays.

rybo
Thu Jun 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
But for $25 having a spare around isn't that expensive in case you tear it taking it off....

mayhem
Thu Jun 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM
wow, you have 26,000 miles on your 06 already? damn....thats the first valve adjustment service for your bike.....................

The_Jackel
Thu Jun 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Yea its not worth the risk. Plan on buying a new gasket they are cheap. Even when your really carefull takeing it out the rubber still streches(sp? ftw) and will most likely pop out when installing. Also one word for install, Gasgacinch or known at the shop the sticky slut.

honda919
Thu Jun 12th, 2008, 09:01 PM
when you do go to put the valve cover gasket back on, Use just a tab a grease in the corners and long edges of the gasket and that will hold it in place. Dont use a lot just a tinnnny bike and it will hold the gasket still.. and it will eventually burn off.

Spy007
Fri Jun 13th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the info everyone!

wow, you have 26,000 miles on your 06 already? damn....thats the first valve adjustment service for your bike.....................

Yeah well, ive got damn near it and figure that id like to do a top-bottom maintenance on it. Gives me a chance to learn more about it anyhow.