PDA

View Full Version : Cheap way to license my CRF450R????

RayCer
Fri Jun 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know of any cheap ways to get a lighting kit for my 05 CRF450R so i can get it licensed? I know i need a front light, tailight, mirror and horn, but dont want to spend big bucks on the Baja Designs kit. Im really looking for a cheap solution just so i can hit some fire roads between trails without having to deal with the chance of getting a ticket. Any help would be appreciated!!

reddeth
Fri Jun 13th, 2008, 01:53 PM
You could go rob some stuff from Steele's Cycles. Just a bit of wiring and whatnot.

Might not look the best, but at least gets you legal.

BigE
Fri Jun 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM
The CRF-R models don't have lighting coils on the stator so you need to change the stator to do a conversion the right way.
That said, you can rig a set of lights to run off a battery as a total loss system, i.e. once the battery is dead you have no lights. If you have an inspector who is tough and sticks to the book it won't pass muster though.

66stang21
Fri Jun 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Also, with the stator, you can do a stator rewind, but they're not cheap (about $100). I'd just spend the money on the baja designs or one of the other brands. You should be able to do it for $250 or so.

2wheeltuesday
Fri Aug 1st, 2008, 03:32 PM
You will probably find that trying to source all of the parts from Steele's or other locations will probably end up costing you as much as one of the kits. At least with the kit, you know you will get everything you need.

Just my .02

BrokenR1
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Thought I'd add you don't have to have anything on it nor do you have to get it inspected to register it. You do have to get a VIN inspection but that's only verifying the VIN and is free at most dealerships. I plated my YZ before buying anything for it to make sure I could indeed plate it before spending the money. I also have not seen anything that says you can't run on battery alone so if anyone knows where it's actually stated I'd appreciate the info so I can check it out myself.