PDA

View Full Version : Knee Puck test!!

BlueDevil
Fri Oct 18th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Ok I found this on another forum and it was pretty interesting. They compare many brandes of pucks in good detail.

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/issues/dec01/knee.htm

hcr25
Fri Oct 18th, 2002, 03:03 PM
That is a good article,but basically it all comes down to what you like,just like tires. But for those who are interested i have used the Asphalt & Gas for the last 5 years & i loved them so much i became a track side vendor for them.So if you are interested in trying the they start at $40.00 a pair & i have them in stock now!!! Mike Hard Core RacingMRA#25. Here is some of what the article said about A & G knee sliders....Asphalt & Gas also included what we referred to as "The Ringer", a standard-sized single puck made in Jeff Lee's special SE-R compound.

"That's pretty impressive, the amount of wear on it," said Ulrich about Jeff Lee's super-duper endurance compound. "It doesn't slide like a typical leather puck. It just kind of skimmed along. It wasn't too grabby. It was consistent. It was good. That's a good puck. It's a good leather puck, but it's a good puck, period. I guess if they made them like that all of the time I might wear a set. These felt more like a good plastic puck than a leather slider, which I really liked. They seemed to wear like iron enough to make the $55 price not a bad value. They fit good and stayed right where you want them to stay. They are the best leather pucks that I have ever used, 8.5."

yakuza
Fri Oct 18th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Interesting article, Dion. Basically what I learned from it is that like Mike said, sliders are totally subjective, just like tires.

I'd be interested in trying out a set for sure. I've got those bulky Technic Ceramic sliders they reviewed in the article, and while I like the way they feel, they definitely are bulky and heavy.

Once I wear through these I'll be giving you a call for some of the A&G to try, Mike. :)

BlueDevil
Fri Oct 18th, 2002, 03:48 PM
I think that is true with darn near everything out there. Its user not product. There is some junk out there but overall its what U like. I like the Sidi pucks but they wear very quickly. However they are thick and have lots of room to work them down. I got them cause they were only 24.00. Cant beat that when all U R doing is destroying them anyway. haha I was considering the Tecknic or JR Ceramic for the next time around. Not sure yet. That will be early next season for those. I still got a bit more on the Sidi's.

I have only user plastic sliders. Maybe someone can explain the idea of leather pucks. I would think they would not hold up. Am I missing something?
Plastic vs Ceramic I fully understand but leather is throwing me for a loop.

hcr25
Sat Oct 19th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Ok i will try to help on the leather question! the main thing is Leather is much more durable than plastic. That is the reason we wear leathers and not suits made from plastic or nylon.The truth is they last in my experience they last 3 to 5 times longer than any other pucks i have used & over the last 6 race seasons i have tried alot.
Now as far as what is better besides how long they last.They provide a comfortable, predictable amount of drag that gives you a good feel for the track.they also tend to absorb bumps and hard whacks & eliminate the harsh vibration & loud scraping noise,which can be very distracting.another cool thing is if you drag your knee long enough blue smoke tends to roll off the puck.
Several top AMA guys use Asphalt & Gas knee pucks,like Eric bostrom & Kurtis Roberts & im sure they could get what every they wanted for free.
I'm not trying to push these on anyone i sell pleanty at the race track,but if you would like to try a set i have them for sale.You can also get them with the R1 or R6 logo in them or the suzuki S as well. Mike Hard Core Racing MRA #25

Burnout
Sat Oct 19th, 2002, 11:34 PM
Mike, I saw the display by your trailer - I like the happy face ones. The skull and crossbones seems like it's just asking for it...

Anonymous
Sun Oct 20th, 2002, 08:10 AM
**Moved to Bike Tech guys, this way that link will be archived on the forums instead of getting deleted after a while.

Cap
Wed Dec 18th, 2002, 01:59 PM
A&G are the best! My Skulls are loking pretty good, I must say!