PDA

View Full Version : Bike painting poll, please vote.

Xtremjeepn
Mon Jun 16th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Cuious if the preception of this has changed.

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I think it would depend on the condition of the bike itself and the paint job.

Carl

Nobody
Mon Jun 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Better painted then scratched in my opinion.

Snowman
Mon Jun 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Always check the frame....

Spy007
Mon Jun 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM
This day lately with the amount of bikes on the road... there is a deep desire to be unique. Painting is pretty cheap but yeah, checkin the frame is the best thing.

Xtremjeepn
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Here is my delima.
It used to be that EVERY bike that was painted was wrecked(back in the 80s/90s). There was simply no reason to paint a bike and they all had such fancy graphics on them you would never get the same look.
I have a 2007 R1 in Charcoal. I love it until I see another one going down the road then I kinda hate the look/color. Most bikes these days don't have all the fancy graphics now.
Was considering having the charcoal parts of the bike painted a bright metallic white or some other neat combination. But I am hesitant to forever doom the bike with the stigma of being wrecked when it hasn't

Devaclis
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
My bike went from this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Motorcycles/P2260001.jpg

to this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Motorcycles/IMG_0318.jpg

Before it was ever run over in a parking lot. I love the idea of customizing your ride.

dirkterrell
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Here is my delima.
I have a 2007 R1 in Charcoal. I love it until I see another one going down the road then I kinda hate the look/color. Most bikes these days don't have all the fancy graphics now.
Was considering having the charcoal parts of the bike painted a bright metallic white or some other neat combination. But I am hesitant to forever doom the bike with the stigma of being wrecked when it hasn't

I'm just glad I like the way my bikes look and don't give a shit what anyone else thinks or rides. :)

Dirk

konichd
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Fuck it, do what YOU want Cole. I hated it when my bike looked like any other black ZX10R out there. Even though I did upgrades, exhaust, etc. the average person didn't know. Painting my bike was the easiest way to stand out, its all original, and it can't be replicated very easy (Hong Kong plastics anyone can buy).

Devaclis
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM
^^http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Funny/9v9u118yi.gif

Nothing wrong with the plastics I purchased. You see another bike exactly like mine out there? I haven't. I also did not waste my massive bank account on race parts that are used for cosmetic purposes only. :)

konichd
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hong Kong plastics are nice, but not original. With the cheap price they are going to become more popular during the season. Not exactly "one off" :)

:dunno: I used all my "race parts" this weekend....hmmmm.....

Devaclis
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 12:28 PM
hahaha Which class?

konichd
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM
That would be Isle of Colorado :) Morrison, Evergreen, P2P, Lyons and back.

Cole, do a google search and find a paint scheme you like and hit that R1 up. NOR1 on the board has a sweet 05 R1 that was custom painted and I'll go as far as to say its the nices bike I've ever seen. Lots of go fast goodies but extremely well done.

McVaaahhh
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
^^^ Yeah, but you probably spent more time cleaning it after the ride than you did actually riding it. 8)

konichd
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 12:41 PM
^^Whats wrong with that? A clean, well maintained bike is something I like and is something I'm proud of :)

HOLYFUCKINGSHITCOLEDOAJOHNNYPAGEREPLICAFTW!

jimwallace
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM
i dont worry myself about it. even a drop in the parking lot will cause damage to the fairings and honestly a paint job on a bike doesnt cost that much especially if you know how to do it yourself (usually the supply cost is comparable to the cost of a new oem matching fairing) so why not make it look the way you want.

~Barn~
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
My custom paint job (props to Morse incidentally), prompted Yamaha to change their paint scheme for the following year.

Team tuning-forks rewarded me absolutely nothing for my troubles, and I had to like it.

MetaLord 9
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Depends on what the bike looks like. I don't think you waste an ass load of cash on a wrecked bike that's gonna fall apart to make it look really nice like DK's or Jim's, or even Dana's. However, if I see a matteblack or gunmetal bike rolling down the road, I'm definately think'n it's been horizontal before

Xtremjeepn
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Bike is cherry. Just looking at a color change.

Rednarb
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Motorcycles/IMG_0318.jpg

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Damn that bike looks nice!

Eross911
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I like the idea of a custom paint job as it sets the bike apart from others. Although I could see some aprehension with a future buyer wondering if the cool paint is due to other undisclosed reasons.

King Nothing
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Damn that bike looked nice!
Fixed

RyNo24
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 07:28 PM
If I crash mine, I am going to do a custom paint job. I always upgrade when stuff breaks.

Rednarb
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Fixed

:(:(:(:(:(:( such a damn shame :cry::cry::cry::cry:

konichd
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Cole,
One way to get rid of the "stigma" is to take pics of the process. If you document everything, a potential buyer cannot argue that the bike was wrecked, crashed, or dropped. I kept pictures and reciepts before I painted mine. The plastic is factory with no repair, reciepts show items purchased (stuff like bar ends, extra slider pucks would lead someone to believe the bike was dropped) However if you don't have "quesitonable" reciepts, or the frame stamped it would be rather hard to prove the bike was ever damaged, just because you have custom paint job doesn't mean anything.

However, Hong Kong plastics would make me suspicous :) Unless you had all the original plastic.

Sortarican
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I think a bigger resale issue would be if your custom work appeals to the masses.
We've all seen custom jobs that left us wondering what the hell the owner was thinking.
(Anyone want to buy a Fuzzy Busa?)

MetaLord 9
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Anyone want to buy a Fuzzy Busa?
Is that code for something? Are you selling drugs again? :siesta:

Xtremjeepn
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I think a bigger resale issue would be if your custom work appeals to the masses.

I agree.

I was just thinking of a color change of the main body peices to metallic white instead of charcoal gray. Which would leave all the stock decals in place anyway.