PDA

View Full Version : No thanks Stunter!

pilot
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
First let me say that "for the most part", I'm highly impressed with the mad skilz that many trick riders (including members of this forum) display--at the right place and time.

and, I'll be the first to stand up and say, "I've had my front wheel of the ground."

But this guy wasn't doing the sport of street riding any good!

I was a few car lengths behind him when he decides to pull a 45 down to 40 MPH stoppie on Sante Fe going southbound right in front of the Platte River Grill. Then going into a business on County Line he cuts fast and hard across traffic and pulls a wheelie going uphill into a congested area with pedestrians and vehicles trying to turn.

Nice job brining love to the craft from the cagers.

http://img2.putfile.com/main/6/16817151257.jpg

"Shitty body position, BTW. Oh, and he's not even looking through the turn. He's looking straight at the oncoming car--at least with his helmet. Probably saying, Fuck this is kinda close! I'll make up for it by poppin' it up on the rear going up the hill."

http://img2.putfile.com/main/6/16817151263.jpg

Soooo, here's my point:

Most, if not all of us feel that this kind of stuff is not doing our "image" very good. Many of us say so in the post chatting about such matters, like the recent rider in Pueblo that had his arms and legs ripped off in a crash with a cage. Most of us believe that the image of the MC community could use some polish.

I toss up the idea that perhaps we, as a group, should meet up with "them" and talk this out.--Just an idea, not trying to preach, just a conversation.

Your thoughts?

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Your thoughts?

Thats a good friend of mine. I'm sure I can arrange it so that you two could meet and you could express your views on his actions today. ;)

Rednarb
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM
People take their riding and their driving very personally. Though I agree with you that this guy is an asshat and contributing to "the bad name" of the sportbike rider, I doubt there is anything you can say to convince him to act any other way. Hell, if he's already willing to risk his life to do it, what more can you do?

jplracing
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Pilot - your kidding right?

Really, who the hell are you to impose your sense of safe riding on anyone.

If you don't chose to associate with that then don't,but it really isn't your place to tell someone else to do.

The sad fact is that your "sponsered rider from 2007" has been know to pull some similar moves around noob riders..."talk" with him!

konichd
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Nor has Pilot shown safe riding habits in the past.....reminds me of Jim Brown "do as I say, not as I do."

rybo
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
So I have to ask myself, a person who enjoys "brisk" rides through the canyons; how would I feel if a bunch of "people" say, responsible (in their minds) motorists decided to get together and "confront" me about my "dangerous" behavior while riding up (enter favorite canyon here)? An event that they happened to have some pictures of, with me leaned WAY over, obviously exceeding the speed limit by a good amount. What if in this picture my butt was centered on the seat and they told me in addition to being irresponsible and painting a "bad image" for motorcyclists everywhere that my body position sucked, and that I should get some lessons while I was at it. How receptive to this would I be? I'm guessing not very.

Why?

Well, because I believe that I'm taking a calculated risk. That I've made myself aware of the potential dangers to myself and others and that I've factored that into my decision to ride in a certain way. Is it illegal? Yes, I speed. Is it dangerous? sure, more risk than traveling at the speed limit for sure. Is it irresponsible? I don't believe so, but that is merely my opinion.

My point is this...wanna change the world? Good, I applaud that effort, but we have to start by cleaning our own houses first. Until we are all ready to give up behaviors that others might see as reckless and dangerous we cannot call out others on their behaviors that seem reckless and dangerous to us.

dragos13
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Atleast he's wearing a helmet......

Slo
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Your not going to be able to tell anyone "how to ride". You can only choose who you ride with, depending on what style/pace suit your own.

Just remember there are cagers/people out there that think a bike period is a bad image, and completely unsafe no matter what we do......

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
My point is this...wanna change the world? Good, I applaud that effort, but we have to start by cleaning our own houses first. Until we are all ready to give up behaviors that others might see as reckless and dangerous we cannot call out others on their behaviors that seem reckless and dangerous to us.

Well put Scott! I don't remember everyone calling out Pilot and criticizing him when he hit a tree last year.

sky_blue
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM
We ask cagers to hang up their phones, put down their sandwich and take driving in traffic seriously. Soliciting responsible, attentive driving of a motorcycle in town traffic is rediculous!

pilot
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Thats a good friend of mine. I'm sure I can arrange it so that you two could meet and you could express your views on his actions today. ;)Absolutely.

Gramps
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Nothing good comes from this kind of meeting.

:)

King Nothing
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM
it's "Stunna" not "Stunter"

stunt stuntin' is a habit.

pilot
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 04:53 PM
People take their riding and their driving very personally. Though I agree with you that this guy is an asshat and contributing to "the bad name" of the sportbike rider, I doubt there is anything you can say to convince him to act any other way. Hell, if he's already willing to risk his life to do it, what more can you do?I never called him an "asshat" for all I know he is the greatest guy around. I just don't think that the two actions were very well thought out.

Pilot - your kidding right?

Really, who the hell are you to impose your sense of safe riding on anyone.

If you don't chose to associate with that then don't,but it really isn't your place to tell someone else to do.

The sad fact is that your "sponsered rider from 2007" has been know to pull some similar moves around noob riders..."talk" with him!Who the "hell" am I? Nice. No, I'm not kidding. Like it or not. I didn't "tell" him what to do. I was just pointing out what he did and said that "I" don't think it was in the best interest. You're speaking of something that I really don't know about. Perhaps you should bring that up to him yourself. I'm sure he'd be willing to have a conversation if you like.

Nor has Pilot shown safe riding habits in the past.....reminds me of Jim Brown "do as I say, not as I do."David, you've had plenty of chances to mention to this to me before. If you have a specific concern, I'm available to talk--regards, JB.

So I have to ask myself, a person who enjoys "brisk" rides through the canyons; how would I feel if a bunch of "people" say, responsible (in their minds) motorists decided to get together and "confront" me about my "dangerous" behavior while riding up (enter favorite canyon here)? An event that they happened to have some pictures of, with me leaned WAY over, obviously exceeding the speed limit by a good amount. What if in this picture my butt was centered on the seat and they told me in addition to being irresponsible and painting a "bad image" for motorcyclists everywhere that my body position sucked, and that I should get some lessons while I was at it. How receptive to this would I be? I'm guessing not very.

Why?

Well, because I believe that I'm taking a calculated risk. That I've made myself aware of the potential dangers to myself and others and that I've factored that into my decision to ride in a certain way. Is it illegal? Yes, I speed. Is it dangerous? sure, more risk than traveling at the speed limit for sure. Is it irresponsible? I don't believe so, but that is merely my opinion.

My point is this...wanna change the world? Good, I applaud that effort, but we have to start by cleaning our own houses first. Until we are all ready to give up behaviors that others might see as reckless and dangerous we cannot call out others on their behaviors that seem reckless and dangerous to us.Well thought out. Reasonable.

Atleast he's wearing a helmet......A good quality one, too.

Your not going to be able to tell anyone "how to ride". You can only choose who you ride with, depending on what style/pace suit your own.

Just remember there are cagers/people out there that think a bike period is a bad image, and completely unsafe no matter what we do......Just looking at sitting down and talking about what works and what doesn't--specifically, doing stunts on crowded roads.

Well put Scott! I don't remember everyone calling out Pilot and criticizing him when he hit a tree last year.Come on Jim, not "everyone" but several-- I got hit not only on this forum, but several others about that one. Besides, I was trying to not crash into another rider that had lost control in front of me. I chose to go into the trees instead of him. For details, dig up the old two page description.

We ask cagers to hang up their phones, put down their sandwich and take driving in traffic seriously. Soliciting responsible, attentive driving of a motorcycle in town traffic is rediculous!LOL. And to think, I was thinking about standing on the seat going down University--I said thinking....

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Absolutely.

He says he is looking forward to seeing you again very soon. :-)

arata954
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM
the debate about riding skills and what is and is not proper will never end. its like talking about religion and government. ya cant do it without someone getting pissed.

pilot
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM
He says he is looking forward to seeing you again very soon. :-)Jim, thank you for passing this information on. If you care to provide him my contact #, I'll PM it to you. If you trying to say that he's gonna be on the "hunt", bad mistake. I blurred out the plate intentionally. I, and now others, based on your comment, have the original photo. Perhaps he should do the conversing with me, not you. I wouldn't have posted it, if I wasn't willing to back up my actions. BTW, the smiley face didn't buy any points with me.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Jim, thank you for passing this information on. If you care to provide him my contact #, I'll PM it to you. If you trying to say that he's gonna be on the "hunt", bad mistake. I blurred out the plate intentionally. I, and now others, based on your comment, have the original photo. Perhaps he should do the conversing with me, not you. I wouldn't have posted it, if I wasn't willing to back up my actions. BTW, the smiley face didn't buy any points with me.

Michael,
I am not implying he is on a "hunt". If he were then you would need to be very concerned. He is a little upset that you would be so low a person and post pictures of him on this forum and criticize his actions.if he were a member of this forum then you would be conversing with him. But he is not so he suggested that you two meet again, which is what I conveyed. As Joe peviously pointed out, your criticizing someones stupid riding is rather hypocritical.
And the last thing the smiley meant was to try and gain points with you. Nothing could be further from the truth. So here is another smiley for you and you can take it any way you want. :-)

jplracing
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 05:44 PM
The first thing I would like to point out is that DK and I (as with a few others) seem to be on the same page.....its a Miracle!!

Second, knowing Jim the way I do I dont think anything was intended to be a threat, Pilot. In fact the tone you are taking seems to me to be pushing for that kind of resolution which I find to be a little childish.

And to my previous post why are you so willing to confront a stranger rather than speak with your friend. As a point...the noob rider in question did attempt to have a conversation and was given nothing but attitude. So as Scott pointed out (albiet alot more PC than I) we need to clean our own houses first

SamuraiX
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I cant see ANYONE being very concerned by that dudes little punk ass - on or off the bike. That's f*ckin hilarious. Must be a cop.

pilot
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Michael,
I am not implying he is on a "hunt". If he were then you would need to be very concerned. He is a little upset that you would be so low a person and post pictures of him on this forum and criticize his actions.if he were a member of this forum then you would be conversing with him. But he is not so he suggested that you two meet again, which is what I conveyed. As Joe peviously pointed out, your criticizing someones stupid riding is rather hypocritical.
And the last thing the smiley meant was to try and gain points with you. Nothing could be further from the truth. So here is another smiley for you and you can take it any way you want. :-)I'm already very concerned Jim. He did what he did. I just happened to be there with a camera. I didn't show his face, nor his plate. I figured that if he was a member, then, if he chose to stand up and say, "Yah, me. Oops. But didn't it look good, ha." And then we all laugh it off as I buy him a beer and say, "Yah, not the best of tact on my part, either." You all know, I suck at that sometimes. Then so be it. You chose to help him come out in the open by speaking up for him. We now know that you know him personally and are in direct communication with him.

I'm not the problem Jim. I didn't do the act. Don't try to change the subject by pointing back the finger at me. I was only there and saw it and took a photo. Then, I posted it. I didn't hide behind a different screen name to do it. It was all based on the continuous deaths, crashes and general ill feeling in the riding industry. Maybe, I too, am a bit fed up???

Perhaps you and your friend would be willing to be part of the solution to this current issue in the riding world. You know, speak up at socials, go to schools and talk to students, and even head over to the Shell to chat with the riders there. Is that too much to ask for?

I wouldn't ask anybody to do something I wasn't willing to do. In the past few weeks I spent some time riding on Federal. this is a heavy hitter set of riders on a Friday or Saturday. I pulled into every group or hard-core riders that I came across. I went into tattoo shops, gas stations and car repair hangouts. Sure, I got some funny looks--with all my gear on and then when they saw it was a bald, white guy in their hood, well, things were tough at first. First, I showed respect for their territory. Then we talked. We talked about rider ed, stunt riding and what the young guns want and need. Yes, and I went to the Shell on Colfax, too. I also went into the Platte and spoke with just about every rider and pillion in the joint, including the manager. This includes some well-respected members of the HD community. Guys and gals that earned their stripes.

I may not be speaking for everybody, but I know of a lot of people on this board and other places that are just a bit too scared to voice up their opinions--as the hammer falls pretty fast, and sometimes with wild abandon, from the big hitters. Then, later, they come up to me and say, "Thanks man. You spoke up for a lot of us." So, BT, DT, GTT (Old skeletons are still in the closet and it is easy to see them rise up.)

For the rest that want to play, I'm not into name-calling. That ain't high school. Personally, I don't have much to loose.

Again, I ain't perfect. I've screwed up plenty of times. Lots of lessons, good and bad.

To Spiderman Bob: You gave me some timely advice on not "telling" folks and instead "helping" when asked. I appreciate that. Even, if it seems that it may not be so at this point.

This too shall pass.

rybo
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM
points made and over

Now get on your bikes and ride, or wheelie, or stoppie your way over to bww and eat some wings

rybo
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM
points made and over

Now get on your bikes and ride, or wheelie, or stoppie your way over to bww and eat some wings