PDA

View Full Version : hard on a superhawk

codfish124
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 01:34 PM
im just worndering if doind a 12 0'clocker on a superhawk is bad on the motor.......er i know it bad on it but with all the oile rushing to the rear cyclender what might happen? hydro lock front cylender seizing piston expload just worndering

thanks for any help

rybo
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I don't think hydro lock is really a concern, that's more of a problem on the fuel/air induction side. The part I would be concerned about would be oil starvation in the front cylinder causing undue wear. I don't think this will cause catastrophic failure (ie. engine dies right then and there) but more of an accelerated wear that will cause some kind of future engine failure, probably when you're "just cruising down the highway"

s

codfish124
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
i guess im most worried about all the oil in the rear cylender.

on a + side iv herd of a superhawk running on one cylender before so id the front one loses all compression ill still make it home LOL and the rear will be in mint with a hot oil bath hear and there.

i was just think a bout my frist question when me and my friends picked the bike up to test out my 12 0'clock bar and started the bike 20 min later and it smoked really bad

rybo
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure that you're really going to load up the rear cylinder with oil. At 12:00 the orientation of the cylinders will be roughly opposite of it's original situation with the rear cylinder parallell to the ground and the front cylinder in the vertical orientation. The issue is oil pickup from the pan, where all the oil will be in the very back of the pan away from the pickup tube. theoretically both cylinders will run out of oil pressure in this situation. It's not good for any bike, and while I'm not 100% sure, I'd have to guess the serious stunters are doing some kind of oil pickup mod to prevent oil starvation when doing prolonged wheelies.

McVaaahhh
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
The issue is oil pickup from the pan, where all the oil will be in the very back of the pan away from the pickup tube. theoretically both cylinders will run out of oil pressure in this situation. It's not good for any bike, and while I'm not 100% sure, I'd have to guess the serious stunters are doing some kind of oil pickup mod to prevent oil starvation when doing prolonged wheelies.

Shoulda seen the hole in the front of that R6 motor from just this very thing.

Tipys
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
almost no wheeling involed with the R6

McVaaahhh
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 03:27 PM
almost no wheeling involed with the R6

Jim at TFOG said that's what prob. caused it...

Point is, oil pickups in most bikes just aren't designed to work with the front wheel that far above the rear wheel, especially for extended periods...

Tipys
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 03:47 PM
ya it had started to knock after he layed it down I dont think the bike turned off when he did lay it down.

derekm
Wed Jun 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I think the oil pick up on the hawk motor is up front, extra oil will fix that. id also be concerned about dumping oil into the airbox(= hydrolock=rod through block). now go scrape that shit

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Jun 20th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Just don't park it overnight in the 12:00 position and you should be OK.:up:

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jun 20th, 2008, 03:00 PM
im just worndering if doind a 12 0'clocker on a superhawk is bad on the motor.......er i know it bad on it but with all the oile rushing to the rear cyclender what might happen? hydro lock front cylender seizing piston expload just worndering

thanks for any help

is that the same bike you bought from Erico and you posted in another thread that it now doesnt run?

derekm
Fri Jun 20th, 2008, 10:07 PM
good to know lol!!!

codfish124
Sun Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
well i had to do a bunch of work to it the next day after i got it, and they wouldn't sync the carbs so i had to. but after a lot of fuss with erico i did get them to fix the badly stretched chain for a return service of the 30 day guarantee that i got on the bike is no longer good. i don't think that was fair but i can fix my bike and i got the extended guarantee that they offer in case a CCT goes bad and blows up the motor.

Mel
Sun Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
is that the same bike you bought from Erico and you posted in another thread that it now doesnt run?

Hehe, that, and not being able to test ride said bike ahead of time for lack of endorsement :D