PDA

View Full Version : Where are the best roads in Boulder?

Auron
Tue Jun 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I've never gone up there because I didn't want to deal with boulder traffic but I was up in the dirt on my XRL and see what I've been missing.

What's the best way to get to there from Golden?

Left and canyon is paved all the way up to 119 right?

Also a few years ago I remember seeing something on the news about very little tolerance for speeding and masive fines. Any truth to that?

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 24th, 2008, 02:10 PM
What's the best way to get to there from Golden?

Left and canyon is paved all the way up to 119 right?

You could also take Golden Gate Canyon, which is just outside of Golden. I think it's hwy46 going West from hwy93. This comes way before Boulder.

Left Hand is on the North side of Boulder. After a couple of miles, it splits off with one road continuing on up to Jamestown and the other road going up to Ward. Going up to Ward is completely paved. In the town of Ward the speed limit is 15mph, but it's such a small town you barely notice it. If you take the road to Jamestown, then I believe that one is a dirt road after a while, but not real sure about that, since I haven't been up that road before.

Hwy72 (better known as the Peak to Peak hwy) is what you end up at coming out of Ward and also coming out of Golden Gate Canyon.

I can't answer the question about speeding, though.

Devaclis
Tue Jun 24th, 2008, 02:24 PM
West of Estes Park

dirkterrell
Tue Jun 24th, 2008, 02:29 PM
If you take the road to Jamestown, then I believe that one is a dirt road after a while, but not real sure about that, since I haven't been up that road before.

Yep, it turns to dirt after a while. 72 from 93 to the Peak to Peak and Golden Gate Canyon are nice roads on the south side to take in a zig-zagging path up to Boulder. Boulder Canyon is fun but you have to hit it early or the traffic will ruin it. Lee Hill Dr. and Lefthand Canyon Dr. are also fun ones to ride but Lefthand has a lot of residential areas on the lower (and twistier) section so you can't go blasting through there but it's still fun to ride.

Dirk

Sean
Tue Jun 24th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I've never gone up there because I didn't want to deal with boulder traffic
Boulder has traffic?

+1 with Dirk
There's always some traffic in any canyon, but it's not to long before it's usually safe to pass. Canyon, Coal Creek, Lower Left Hand, Lee Hill, Hwy 7 are all good family fun.

Slo
Tue Jun 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Highway 7 has some great pavement!!!

Matrix
Tue Jun 24th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Highway 7 has some great pavement!!!

I rode hwy 7 two weeks ago for the first time....It is one of the best in the area IMHO.

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 24th, 2008, 07:23 PM
hwy7 sucks arse!!!

Oh well, guess it couldn't remain the best kept secret for long. Good thing I'm off all summer long so I can ride hwy7 during the week and miss the "traffic".

Yeah and ditto what "shiny" said about all the other roads.

Ha, REM's Shiny Happy People running through my mind now...weeeee...

Sean
Tue Jun 24th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Ha, REM's Happy Shiny People running through my mind now...weeeee...

I feel slightly violated now.....oh well, not the first time that's happened.