PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a newbish rider

mtnairlover
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Note: No flames allowed.

This idea has crossed my mind over the past couple of months and I've finally remembered and actually am sitting at a computer to type out my thoughts.

We haven't talked about this as a group, on this forum in a while and I think it's a good subject to bring up every now and then.

I've been riding for 3 years now. I got my start on the back of a co-worker's GoldWing and then got hooked on the idea of sport bikes on the back of another friend's BMW. I took the MSF course in May of '05 and loved learning to ride. That was my first time actually riding, though...and being the "old dog" that I am, I was kinda nervous I would fail miserably. I didn't and got my endorsement. I've come to realize that not everyone who rides has taken an MSF course and is learning the "rules of the road" through friends and relations. That's "ok" to a point, but I think understanding the basic concepts of riding on 2 wheels versus in 4 wheels is very important and not all of those concepts tend to get passed on between friends. That's where the idea of taking a motorcycle course makes a whole lot more sense.

Anyhoo, so I got turned on to this club through another friend who was on his way to Iraq in '06. By the summer, I was ready to meet people in my area and do some group rides. I had been riding by myself up to that point and it was ok, but I wanted to learn more. I got lucky enough to meet Bat (Deb) and TurboGizzmo (Chris), who are in my area. Before we met for our first ride, Deb suggested we all read The Pace...http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/index.html What a great read that article was and still is. I highly recommend it to anyone who rides. Riding with Deb and Chris was a great way for me to learn how to ride in groups.

I began to "branch out" and rode with other groups when I bought my first Z750 in June of '06. Deb thought I was doing really well as a novice and thought exposure to other riders would do me some good. So, I ventured out of my "safety zone".

I do not consider myself an "expert" rider, but I do consider myself experienced. When I say that, I mean I've experienced various things in the past 3 years that only time in the saddle could have given me. I've crashed 3 times...yep, I said 3. The first was my second day of riding. I was on my old KZ750. I went up the canyon and came back down a different canyon with a friend following all the way. We'd stop and he'd give me tips and pointers. Only a few miles from home, I came in to a corner too fast, freaked out, went wide and then target fixated on a ditch, which is where I ended up. I did just about the same thing in the other 2 crashes and I'm to a point now, where I finally "get it" as far as fixation is concerned, control and "looking" where I want to go. I did say I was an "old dog". I'm also a stubborn old coot as far as not wanting to let things get the best of me.

Before my last crash last summer, I had logged 16,800 miles on the old Zed in about 14 months. But, the last crash totaled the bike. My new bike is still a Zed and I've put almost 7000 miles on it since last November.

I have worked on everything these past 3 years, from understanding the importance of looking down the road, to making a u-turn, to even picking up my own damn bike by myself. And that ain't no easy feat, either. It's a standard, and therefore heavier than the average sport bike at 425#'s dry.

I have always enjoyed pushing the envelope...that's not necessarily a good thing, but I do it at my own pace and do it under my terms. I have never tried to ride at a level I didn't think I could handle...even when watching the rest of the groups' tail lights fade off in the distance. It would have served me no purpose.

I can say that with the crashes, there was maybe one other factor involved, other than target fixation...and that was over-confidence. When I get to a level of feeling very comfortable when I'm riding, then is the best time to be wary of not pushing myself. And that is a lesson that only time and miles could have taught me.

I wish all the "newish" riders here many miles of enjoyment this season and many new friends as well. :)

rybo
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM
best post from anyone in months. Thanks Cath!

dirkterrell
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I can say that with the crashes, there was maybe one other factor involved, other than target fixation...and that was over-confidence.

That is so true in many risky hobbies. The period between noob and experienced is the dangerous one because you've lost (or minimized) the fear of getting to the edge but you don't yet know well enough where that edge really is. An example of this is cave diving where most of the fatalities (among trained cave divers) are people with a few dozen dives under their belts. I've been riding for 25 years and I am still learning.

Nice post.

Dirk

Tipys
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 02:33 PM
^^^^ PLUS ONE I remember going throw most of that I would say that im no where near experienced. But I am more aware of whats going on. Instead of thinking oh im on such a slow bike and the way the handle bars are is why I cant keep up. Depending on who I am riding with im either right there with them or im riding my own ride now because Im no where near as experienced as them.

mtnairlover
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys.:)

Other "confessions" are quite welcome. Maybe yet another "good read" for everyone.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I confess ----- you can teach an old dog new tricks and that I am a Curmudgeon :D

mtnairlover
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I confess ----- you can teach an old dog new tricks and that I am a Curmudgeon :D

:lol: d'oh

Guess I shoulda specified the type of confession. Good laugh, though.

IT WASN'T ME!
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Great post. You remind me that it is not just the amount of experience that you have, but also the quality of your experience and what you do with it.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Great post. You remind me that it is not just the amount of experience that you have, but also the quality of your experience and what you do with it.

All the experiences that I have experienced while riding motorcycles have been quality experiences -------- some I'd rather not relive but I can say with out a doubt that they topped the quality scale in ways that you wouldn't believe :twisted:

Sully
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 03:38 PM
All the experiences that I have experienced while riding motorcycles have been quality experiences -------- some I'd rather not relive but I can say with out a doubt that they topped the quality scale in ways that you wouldn't believe :twisted:

You're such a boob... ahem.. I mean n00b... :lol:

pilot
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Very nicely done, Cathy! I enjoyed reading that. Thank you.

Pitbull303
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the post and also the link to the Pace. Ive read it in the past and agree its a awesome read. Now coming from a newb rider such as myself (ive had 1 bike in the past and grew up riding dirt still a newb though) its good to read other peoples experiences and words of wisdom..Thanks again for the article and the link..happy riding and no more crashing mtnair!

mtnairlover
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
... and no more crashing mtnair!

joo got it mang:up:

The experiences have left an indelible mark on my life. And, I've had quite enough of those experiences, thank-you very much!

Sean
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I wish all the "newish" riders here many miles of enjoyment this season and many new friends as well. :)

Well put Cathy. You done talk real gud!

I could load up this page with confessions if I had the time or attention span :) Anything from being freaked out (last year) doing 60mph going to take my endorsment test, to the big realization after reading the forums each week, that pushing to hard can mean having a real bad day.

Like you, I've been fortunate enough to get some good guidance from this group on learning how to improve and become a safer rider. And if Dirk's still learning after 25 years, I've got a little ways to go. But what a great ride it will be...

Squisha
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 04:15 PM
It's posts like yours that keep me coming back to this forum. I've been riding only a year, and know I have a great deal to learn. But I look forward to learning it. I appreciate the wisdom here and in other posts you've made. You are definitely one of the folks who often registers as "the voice of reason". Thank you for sharing.

mtnairlover
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Awe shucks:oops:

You know, like I said, I keep pushing my own personal envelope. I would say that that idea goes with how well I know so many people here. I'm just relentless like that.:) And each and every interaction I've had with all my friends in this club have been "memorable" learning experiences, as well...Always willing to offer up a helping hand, a shoulder, an ear...shall I go on?

Sweetie Pie
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Here’s my confession…I’ve been riding for 2 years as of this month and I still consider myself a noob. Last year I was nervous on every ride. This year I’m relaxed and enjoying myself. I sing, I laugh, and I yell “Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!” in my helmet a lot. Every time I’m on my bike I’m practicing something. I try to remain open to the critiques I’m given by those who ride with me because I will learn from them. I appreciate the advice and guidance I’ve been given by so many of the more experienced riders in this club. I truly love to ride. Thanks y'all!

Matty
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
luv ya Cathy....

mtnairlover
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 07:46 PM
...I sing, I laugh, and I yell “Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!” in my helmet a lot....

Right there with ya, Linda.:D

luv ya Cathy....

Oh and Matty...:makeout:...it'll have to do considering there are no "hug" smilies available...hope ya don't mind.

Sean
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 07:48 PM
registers as "the voice of reason".

Cathy????
Oh lawd, this one's gonna go to her head!

mtnairlover
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 07:49 PM
lol...that's it Sean...no more hugs for you mister.

chad23
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I've had this conversation with Cathy and Mike (Deamon),
From experience and experience only do I now "ride my own ride". I have nothing to prove by keeping up or going faster than I like. And if the people you are riding with give you shit for being slow, those are the people you don't need to ride with. It's ok to push yourself, but in baby steps.

chad23
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 07:53 PM
what did i miss by typing
hugs kissing I want some.
I'll be back I need to find my wife

Sean
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 08:57 PM
lol...that's it Sean...no more hugs for you mister.

Awe, come on Cathy...I got nuttin but luv for ya.

As for confessions, I remember last year, I was so nervous about doing a group ride that you and Mayo set up; I actually pm'd you, to ask if :turtle: 's can come? You couldn't have been more welcoming and I couldn't have had a better experience. :cheers:

mtnairlover
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 09:16 PM
...You couldn't have been more welcoming and I couldn't have had a better experience. :cheers:

Awe...you know I can't deny you, ya sweetie.

I certainly hope that first group ride of yours was not my infamous blunder. What a way to experience group rides!

Speaking of that infamous blunder. Here's another confession, which has been sparked by our conversation at Brother's on Sunday. Considering "The Pace" and being a ride leader, the kind of responsibility I felt that day was completely overwhelming as I sat there looking up at all the concerned faces and looked over at my poor broken bike. People thought it was broken pride, but that couldn't have been further from the truth. I let that feeling that I had let you all down stick with me for months. I did a pretty amazing job of beating myself up. The sad thing about all of it is that only one of the people on that ride that day has not ridden with me since...and he's all but disappeared. I don't blame him, though. I couldn't imagine seeing what it was that he saw as I flipped over my bike and it onto me.

Over-confidence that day was what got me and I have worked diligently since then to not let it get to me again.

daemon
Fri Jun 27th, 2008, 04:59 AM
very awesome cathy!!!!
sweet post.
i've yet to read the "pace",but i guess it's time i sit down to it.

you've become an awesome friend and co-rider.

:slappers:

mtnairlover
Fri Jun 27th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks Mike and I appreciate the friendship a lot.

Something that kind of has got me thinking in the past couple of days is how many people are out there who ride. There's so many riders and so many of them who really love the idea of freedom on two wheels.

But, what has me sad is that many of them are not protected. I don't care who you are, or why you bought your bike.

...if it was to add to your garage full of awesome and cool vehicles and take to Friday night meets

...if it was to save some extra $ at the pump

...if it's your primary mode of commuting transportation

...or you wanted a bike whose gas tank you could sit on while riding on one wheel (in a safe environment)

...or you can't stay away from the canyons, or the track

...or you just wanted a way to tour and enjoy our great country

...all of these reasons and more are very legitimate reasons to own your bike

...but please, please, please...

WEAR YOUR F'N GEAR!!!

Gear consists of not only helmet, but protective gloves, jacket with padding in shoulders, elbows and back.. .over-the-ankle boots...and long pants...at the very least.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jun 27th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Great post Cathy!

mtnairlover
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 12:05 PM
The idea that our actions...the choices we make, having a direct affect on everything around us is sometimes a tad overwhelming.

Here's the confessional thought of the day...

As I was driving home yesterday after having a wonderful day at the races and I was going through Arvada and Westminster, I noticed many riders with no protective gear whatsoever. It seemed to be an epidemic of squids riding around. Many of those squids with girls on back wearing even less clothing. I can hear the comments flying right now, but let me continue the thoughts, k.

I realized as I was watching all these people who seemed completely oblivious to the idea of "in harm's way" that there wasn't a damn thing I could do...not a thing. I felt helpless in a sense. People will come back to your face if you express your worry for their lives by telling you "It's my damn life, and I'll do as I damn well please. Besides, if I crash, then it's just me and no one else." But, if you stop to think about the bigger picture, then you realize that even if they do crash and no one else is involved, that crash will still have an affect on everything around them and you...this is the bigger picture:

hospital fees
Dr. fees
insurance
body shops
pharmacies
morticians
emergency response
loved ones
etc, etc, etc

All of these things are affected by someone making the choice to not wear gear and not understanding motorcycle safety.

And the more that fuel costs increase, the more people will take to the streets on 2-wheels to "save a little".

So, how do you influence people? How do you help them to make better choices?

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 01:37 PM
The idea that our actions...the choices we make, having a direct affect on everything around us is sometimes a tad overwhelming.

As I was driving home yesterday after having a wonderful day at the races and I was going through Arvada and Westminster, I noticed many riders with no protective gear whatsoever. It seemed to be an epidemic of squids riding around. Many of those squids with girls on back wearing even less clothing. I can hear the comments flying right now, but let me continue the thoughts, k.

I realized as I was watching all these people who seemed completely oblivious to the idea of "in harm's way" that there wasn't a damn thing I could do...not a thing. I felt helpless in a sense. People will come back to your face if you express your worry for their lives by telling you "It's my damn life, and I'll do as I damn well please. Besides, if I crash, then it's just me and no one else." But, if you stop to think about the bigger picture, then you realize that even if they do crash and no one else is involved, that crash will still have an affect on everything around them and you...this is the bigger picture:

hospital fees
Dr. fees
insurance
body shops
pharmacies
morticians
emergency response
loved ones
etc, etc, etc

All of these things are affected by someone making the choice to not wear gear and not understanding motorcycle safety.

And the more that fuel costs increase, the more people will take to the streets on 2-wheels to "save a little".

You don't. Sometimes the addition of more chlorine to the gene pool is a requirement to move forward on the evolutionary scale. I'm a firm believer in you ride with no gear you get no medical insurance and you lose your license ----- but not through legislation. I don't believe in Big Brother telling us what we can do or not do.

IT WASN'T ME!
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM

hospital fees
Dr. fees
insurance
body shops
pharmacies
morticians
emergency response
loved ones
etc, etc, etc

Look at the bright side; look at all the people they keep employed by not wearing gear. Plus, they make great organ donors!

I have a question: Why do they go to the expense and trouble of buying full race leathers, boots, helm, and gloves, (all color coordinated) then strap the helm to their bike and ride bare-headed?

Sortarican
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
IMO, if somoeone rides without gear, or undergeared (if thats a word), it's their choice.
I admit it, @ 104 deg. in rush hour traffic I want to loose some gear.
When discussing the point (and the seatbelt issue) I usually ask people to look at the pros.
They're 100 times better than you or I will ever be, and do you see them riding without gear?
After that, it's up to each person to decide what's appropriate.

What concerns me even more though, and Cathy touched on it, is the number of people I see who'll ride a passanger around without gear.
I'm sure some of the passangers have made that choice, but I can't help but feel many of them are completely relying
on the rider's opinion and skill, both of which may be suspect.

If you choose to ride commando fine, it's your call, but please make sure your passanger at very least wears a lid.

TFOGGuys
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I've been riding for dang near a quarter of a century, and I consider myself an "intermediate" rider. By that, I mean that I know enough to know how little I know, and how much I have yet to learn(more of the latter than the former!).

Things I've learned that I feel comfortable passing on:
1. If your head's not 100% in the game, take the cage. A moment's inattention can be fatal on a bike, less so in the car.

2. Never ride beyond your personal comfort zone on the street. For me this is about 50% (70% of available traction times %70 of my ability equals 49%). This allows more margin to deal with the unknown hazards.

3. Riding a bike and being aware of your surroundings will make you a MUCH better car driver!

4. Learn to anticipate the movements of the vehicles around you. Watch the driver's head positions, watch for vehicles drifting to one side of the lane, or rolling into that left turn in front of you. My opinion is that most motorcycle collisions can be avoided by just paying attention.

5. Don't ride with groups that tend to be competitive with each other. Nothing spoils a great day of riding like an ambulance ride(or worse!).

6. Tires are cheaper than either bodywork or skin grafts.

7. The right gear enhances, rather than detracts from, the riding experience. Safety is comforting.

/soapbox

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
+1 on all of that.

Dirk

mtnairlover
Wed Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
I guess my point in mentioning what gets affected is that it isn't just the person who crashes who is affected by all these costs, but it's everyone else as well. We eventually bear the burden of other people's choices. Our fees go up, because the demands on hospitals, Dr's, insurance, etc go up. I'm not saying we should be our brother's keeper, but more education in motorcycle safety would be a start to helping people make better, more informed choices...that's all. Think of it this way...I've seen commercials about hospital/Dr/pharmacy costs going up because of the "typical American's" lifestyle and so the commercials are informing the public on better health to help keep other costs down. Not to mention the emotional costs related to loved ones.

hospital fees
Dr. fees
insurance
body shops
pharmacies
morticians
emergency response
loved ones
etc, etc, etc

Bat
Wed Jul 30th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Cathy! Okay, I finally got my ass in gear and got on the board to read this post. Hey, I'm only just over a month late (I know, I suck). :oops: But hey, what do you expect from some chicka you met on a damn sportbike forum? Bwahahaha! :silly:

Nicely put, girl and some great responses. I especially want to echo Jim's admonition to take the cage if you're not 100%. Even with my gorgeous Ducs beckoning - I won't ride if my concentration is apt to lapse, just isn't worth a hospital visit. As for gear - it can save your life. It can certainly save body parts. I still have a knee thanks to my leathers and armour. Btw, my nerves are regenerating - both "woohoo" and "f'ng OUCH"! ;)

Living in Arvada myself, I see squids daily. They are enjoying the breeze while I am baking my ass in black leather. Their choice...I too stand by the gene pool comments. Some people only learn the hard way. Others die before they can learn. It is the way of the world. I will say that on my actual work commutes, I tend to see more riders geared up as compared to the weekend/evening squidlies.

I learned to ride in February of '05. I learn something new (or relearn something old, lol) nearly every time I swing a leg over. Especially now - since the accident I feel as if I have been relearning to ride. The fear of other drivers/riders on the road has been a battle to overcome (one I am still fighting). My self confidence perhaps took the hardest hit that day. Most of us on here have dealt with accidents of varying degrees and all that goes along with it so I won't preach to the choir any longer now.

I've also been riding different and new bikes. And bikes with considerably more power than the 250. All of it is a learning experience. Some days I feel like a total newb, some days are like "old times" when the bike and I feel like one, other days my inner hooligan tries to unleash that Ducati goodness all over the place (bad, bad hooligan).

When it's all said and done, I just ride my own ride, try to improve my skills and most importantly - enjoy the two wheel time while I can. Life is good. :) Life with Ducatis is even better! :lol:

mtnairlover
Wed Jul 30th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Oh sure, Bat...so you're up at 3 am and can post, but can't talk to me...sheesh! Kidding. Luv ya, hun.:)

When I was reading your post, lots of memories shot through my mind as far as that sort of newbish fear feeling right as I would swing my leg over the saddle. To be honest, that feeling hasn't attacked me for a while now. Not sure why. Although, I do tend to have a thought every time I leave my driveway as I'm circling around and passing the house...and that thought is..."Ride your ride. Behave and come home in one piece...and for gosh sakes, enjoy the day!"

Something that Chad questioned when I was on a ride this past weekend (and not getting a ticket I might add), was that I was talking to myself as Jon and I were rounding the corners on hwy7. You know how when we all stop on our rides to take a break? So, to back up a bit, Jon (one of the guys on the ride and not a member here) and I were just enjoying the heck out of hwy7 early Sunday morning. Chad and two others were several corners back. As I was setting up for each left-hand corner, I had to talk to myself to get my gaze to the far right of the turn, because the sun's glare was making each approach almost black. It made it hard to focus anywhere on the turn, accept for the outside line on the right. Once I got into the turn and into the shade it was fine, but it was the beginning of the turn right between sun and shade where it was really tricky.

And that's the way I ride still. I picture in my mind what line I want to take. I talk to myself to be sure to glide into the turn the right way. I guess it also helps to have read some books on technique with good pictures as well as watched some videos and watched more seasoned riders ahead of me on other rides.

Well, at least that's my story and I'm sticking by it.:)

mtnairlover
Thu Aug 28th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hope this is appropriate, but here goes...

I still talk to myself when I ride...unfortunately that did not help me this past weekend. I wish I could figure it out and tell you guys it's one thing or it's another. But, I can't pinpoint it.

Someone PM'd me something today that had me thinking. I don't want to accept that maybe I'm over confident. That maybe I am pushing myself. That maybe if I dialed things back, then I wouldn't have crashed like I did.

It's a sobering feeling. It hurts and kills my pride. It's also something that not many people here would admit to. And, it's something that I'm taking to heart for more than one reason.

Stop pushing yourselves out there when you ride guys. If you feel that itch...that need for speed...that desire to see what your limits are out on the streets...then you need to take it to the track. You'll more than likely still crash at the track, but it's an easier let-down when you do than when you crash in the street. People treat you differently and you don't feel so bad either...cuz crashing is meant for the track...not the street...at least not the kind of crashing that can be prevented.

Here's the info that was sent to me via PM...

Keith Code's rule of thumb was that most riders can fully *process* what's happening on the track when riding at 75% of their ability. Anything faster than that and they start to shift their attention to the speed sensations, which become overwhelming as we go faster. Then the rider has less "free" attention to spend on the riding, and possible sudden corrections that are needed. Of course it's exponential, at 80% ability maybe you still can make a significant correction in a blind corner, at 90% the odds are diminishing and so on. BTW, Code observes that that most track riders go downhill very quickly above 75%.

One last thing that occurred to me is this. I typically do not look at my speedo all the time when riding in the canyons. Depending on the type of canyon, ie, hwy7 as opposed to Left Hand...I will ride more aggressively (hwy7) in one as compared to the other. I know this to be true based on my speed. I'm at least 15 - 20 mph faster in one as compared to the other. So, let's just say for grins and giggles, I take a look at Keith Code's rule of 75% ability and apply that to how I ride on hwy7...then I should be somewhere between 53 and 64 mph, rather than somewhere between 70 and 85 mph. That's a hard thing to imagine for me. But, to tell you the truth, those numbers will save me from crashing due to target fixation.

The month of August is either gonna be the death of me, or next year in August, something spectacular is going to happen.:D

lovinCO
Thu Aug 28th, 2008, 12:56 PM
... I wish I could figure it out and tell you guys it's one thing or it's another. But, I can't pinpoint it....

Hey Cathy, first of all I mis-quoted Code, the number is 75%. Doh. :rolleyes:

Second I didn't mean this as a criticism and I apologize if what I wrote came across like that. I said it because I thought we were having a "why did this happen?" discussion and interjected the Keith Code comment as a tool for self evaluation. I think about his suggestion a lot, because I observe when I push my own limits I begin making more and more errors. I think most people do.

Hope that's ok lady, I felt bad reading about hurt feelers. :(

chad23
Thu Aug 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
we just had that conversation, about tuning it down, even just a little. 5 mph can make a big difference in reaction time or even the time to not need rapid reaction. As you know I dont ride the speed limit at all, I do ride below my limit of speed. The point of canyon runs is to enjoy the ride not to race up or down as fast as we can.
Cathy on Sundays ride we could have gone faster, but why we had a blast at the speed we were at. It was fun and safe. The whole point is to have fun, and if speed is a goal than lets do more track days at IMI and even start to look at going to other tracks.

Fun doen't have to be speeding it can just be the ride

mtnairlover
Thu Aug 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hope that's ok lady, I felt bad reading about hurt feelers. :(

My injured pride is most definitely not your PM's sweetie. It's more the idea that I did it again and for the life of me can't figure it out. Do I think it's speed related? I don't want to, but you brought up good points and those points are what I wanted to highlight for anyone else out there.

Keep giving advice, ok. You are very good at it.:)

Chad's gonna get his way with me one way or t'other...of this, I am quite sure.;)

asp_125
Thu Aug 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I have noticed that with my riding this year as well. I've started riding faster not because for the adrenaline rush, but because I felt confident in my improving skills and the trust in my tires. ... to a point.

I've noticed I've started to slip .. missing an apex here, carried a bit too much speed there, or tempted to DYP when I could've waited for the passing zone a mile later.

For me those are my early warning signs to dial it back a notch. Before I run out of pavement.

dirkterrell
Thu Aug 28th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I have never been one to ride near my limit on the streets. There are too many uncertainties to do that. I always want some reserve I can tap into in case something goes awry. That is what is constantly in my mind when riding: "What if I go down?" I see trees and rocks and walls and guard rails and I know it'll be nasty if I bin it, so I back off. I was on a ride this past weekend and there were several places where people took off and I initially went with them and backed off when I approached the comfortable level of riding. Could I have run with them? Yes, even on my "old man" bike. :) But I don't allow my desire to keep up to overcome my sense of being in a position to deal with unexpected things like coming around a blind corner and finding something blocking the road.

I have always advocated taking things like going faster in measured, incremental steps, even on the track. There have been many times in races where I knew I could be going significantly faster into a turn or getting on the gas earlier coming out. But I am purposely taking it in small steps. The one time I allowed my competitive nature to overtake that by pushing an ill-prepared bike (wrong fork springs) significantly faster into turn 7 at Pueblo, I ended up on my back. More skilled riders like Mike, Jim or Clarkie, would have recognized what was going on and gotten the bike under control. But I was way past my 75%, and I couldn't determine the problem and solve it in time. By slowly incrementing your aggressiveness on the bike, you give yourself a better chance of learning when things are going wrong and fixing them.

Dirk

mtnairlover
Thu Aug 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Something occurred to me...when I put down numbers in that last post, it adds a different dimension to the discussion when it comes to newer riders. Here's another way of looking at riding and riding at a comfortable level when in the canyons...

Like I said, I don't typically look at my speedo, I listen to my bike and I check my gut. If I feel nervous, or if the pit of my gut is wrenching, then I let off the throttle. I don't need to look at how fast I'm going, I can "feel" it (thanks Wyeth, for the reminder on the type of person I am;)). More than 90% of the time, I "feel" my riding and my bike. I don't need to know what the speedometer reads, nor the tach. I can feel it and hear it. Looking can sometimes freak me out anyway. So, the speeds I talked about in my other post? Those are the speeds I feel comfortable doing. I know I'm not being excessive, cuz my gut is pretty content and I'm happily twisting through the canyons.

I didn't always do this, though...especially as a newer rider. I freaked out no matter what I was doing. So, I did things sparingly and took my time doing them. I only pushed myself if I felt comfortable doing it.

Ceez
Thu Aug 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
First off, great read, this is definitely the kind of stuff that helps a noob like myself out.

My confession is, I have only been on a bike 3 times, 2 of those times were during the MSF course to get the endorsement which I just got over Fathers Day weekend this year.
I just purchased my bike (used of course) a couple of weeks ago and the first time I take it out on the highway, wouldnt you know it, everything was off.
First thing I noticed, I am going with the flow of traffic but I check my speedometer and its reading between 90-100 mph....I knew there could be no way this was true because there were a few mini vans that passed me....well, since I am such a noob and when I got to my destination, I had some of the Young Blood Racing guys check the bike out and wouldnt you know it, the bike has a bigger sprocket and had been geared which is throwing the speedometer off.
After leaving Brothers and getting back on the freeway, God and his sense of humor decides to let it dump on me. POORING rain with little visibilty, luckily I stayed in my right mind and stayed calm while on the freeway until I got to my next exit...talk about a crash course in riding in just a matter of hours.

Now with the help of the Young Blood guys, Ara and Casey and now reading all your threads, I feel a little more educated on this. I swapped out my aftermarket sprocket for a stock one so I can get more familar with the bike, I also know never to go out of my comfort zone and you guys are just validation of that. I also have had the bike checked out now to make sure nothing else is wrong and anything that is wrong, is getting corrected now.

Lastly, I just want to thank the Young Blood Racing guys for helping me out with my bike and answering all the questions I have in reference to riding, and thank you to all of you for being such an open armed community. I have never been welcomed in a community/club so quickly, usually there is a waiting period or 3 or 4 guys hazing me....I respect everything that every single rider on here says and appreciate all the help!!

Thanks
:)

asp_125
Thu Aug 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
.... I have never been welcomed in a community/club so quickly, usually there is a waiting period or 3 or 4 guys hazing me....I respect everything that every single rider on here says and appreciate all the help!!

Thanks
:)

What? They didn't tell you about the hazing? .. and the donkey?

Ceez
Thu Aug 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
What? They didn't tell you about the hazing? .. and the donkey?

...and I thought I would only get sore from riding so much....:shocked:

chad23
Thu Aug 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM
craven, welcome to the fam, if you would like we could haze you. I have some really good ideas. :)
we just want to make sure that you feel at home.
I try not to look at the speed I'm doing, but if I dont and I just go with the flow and the way everything feels, I can easily get going in a very fast pace, faster than I need. So i do look just to set throttle and speed control. At the track I ride at feel I have no idea how fast or slow I'm going

mtnairlover
Sun Aug 31st, 2008, 07:11 PM
Ok, so here it is...after much soul searching and discussing with some wonderful, warm-hearted, special people, I've come to the conclusion that I try too hard to ride quicker than I should on some roads...roads that get me freaking out because of their narrow-ness and much slower posted speeds.

Plain and simple, I'm stubborn and sometimes try to bite off more than I can chew...a whole lot more given the outcomes these past 3 years.

Damn, and I hate admitting to the idea that I was pushing myself beyond what I could handle. You have no idea how hard it is for me to say this. I keep wanting to tell myself that I wasn't doing more than I could handle...that I wasn't pushing beyond that 75% marker...but, if I wasn't, then why did I crash?

The things that are making me admit to trying too hard? It's the idea that I crashed, yet again. And it wasn't because of faulty equipment, or because of gravel, an animal, another rider going down, a car, a bird...it was ME! That hurts more than you know.

So, here are some things I plan on working on before the riding season is over:

1. slowing down more than I typically do on unfamiliar, narrow, winding roads
2. giving myself an ego-check before riding with groups
3. reminding myself each time I go on a ride that I'm there for the exhilaration and most importantly for the beauty of Colorado

So...hopefully this installment of my confessions is done and over and maybe the next time I post something in this thread, it will be some new discovery that all newbs can gain some insight from.

mtnairlover
Fri Jan 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I've been thinking about this again...mostly because this season will be different...not because I still won't be trying to improve and not because I won't continue to be cautious. There have been a few other things that have occurred to me and this is to my pals...my riding buddies...and those I have yet to ride with.

Ok...so, those of you who have been here for a while have seen this happen. You know what goes on and we have all had lots of conversations about this subject. The subject is in how we deal with riders who just don't get it...you know the type. This is the type of rider who seems to not want to listen when you give advice. After a while, you stop riding with this person. Some of the people I've talked to just choose to not ride with anyone accpet a very select few, just to avoid possible problems.
Why do I mention all this? I guess it's because I know I've fallen into the ignored category with a few of my riding buddies. A good friend of mine told me about a year ago that she refuses to ride with me, because I just don't know how to contain myself. Yeah, so now some of you are thinking, "You call her a friend?" Well, actually...yes. She had the balls to tell me to my face what she thinks...that takes a good friend to do that, ya know.

I hope to get to ride with her and her b/f this season, if only to prove to her that I do know how to contain myself...I do know when it's the right time to "play" and when it's the right time to "behave".

Personally, I think we all come to this realization that we've reached a certain limit and shouldn't even try to push harder, because it just isn't worth it. But, sometimes that realization comes with a price, a crash, or loss of riding buddies. For some of us, that realization takes too long for our friends to want to wait around and find out if it will ever happen.

Yeah, so this is my personal note to all of you (and a few very special buddies)...I'm sorry if you ever lost faith in me.

For those of you who ride in groups...it's your choice to ride with whomever you choose. But, when you come to a point that you choose to not ride with someone who just doesn't seem to get it....do that person one last favor (the first favor was in being kind enough to ride with them)...tell them why you don't want to ride with them anymore. Ya never know...you may just help someone actually come to realize their limit before it's too late.

Welp...it's gonna be an amazing weekend....for some of you, a three-day weekend...all I gotta say is happy riding and keep the shiny side up.

asp_125
Fri Jan 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Kudos to your friend for having the courage and caring enough to speak up. I for one will ride with you anytime and we've had our chats about gear and stuff; I want to keep you around. It shows maturity as a rider to recognize that not everyone rides at the same level, and sometimes is just as fun to ride slow(er?) as it is to ride fast. I also ride with some other friends outside of CSC, and while they are not as fast, it's just as fun to be able to check out the scenery or teach a newbie about the value of gear or a tip about technique. Not all of our rides have to be on the edge.

See you this Sunday Cathy?

stimacsays
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Great insight Cathy. Thanks for sharing that.

mtnairlover
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 05:51 AM
See you this Sunday Cathy?

You might. I haven't talked to anyone yet...but will text/call to see where people are at when I get out there.

Oh and thanks for the post. I was kinda having second thoughts about my post. I'm a dork that way.

I just really enjoy riding in the hills. Sometimes, I get carried away, but I know there are riders out there who know what that's all about...we just love to ride.

daemon
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 06:57 AM
good post cathy.
i remember a few years back how you had decided to not ride with me for awhile and you were able to speak up and let me know why.

once again though we are hanging out on a regular basis.

where you gonna meet on sunday???
i might hold off today if i can get together with a small crowd tomorrow.

mtnairlover
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 08:20 AM
good post cathy.
i remember a few years back how you had decided to not ride with me for awhile and you were able to speak up and let me know why.

once again though we are hanging out on a regular basis.

where you gonna meet on sunday???
i might hold off today if i can get together with a small crowd tomorrow.

Wow...I am a dork. I had forgotten about that. Meh...you're ok Mike...a little freaky, but ok.;)

Is it the nature of what we do that makes some of us so freakin exclusive...so timid about sharing our thoughts? Hmmm...I dunno.

Anyhoo...I'd say you guys check in with one another on Sunday, Mike and Jeff. I've got someone I need to meet up with first...so don't count on me being somewhere at any specific time. If we get our butts close to the hills, I'll text or call to see where you all are at to see if we can meet up.

Bat
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 09:48 PM
A good friend of mine...

Hmmmm, do I know this person? :think:

I hope to get to ride with her ... if only to...

be surrounded by Ducati SEX? :eyebrows:

Yeah, so this is my personal note to all of you (and a few very special buddies)...I'm sorry if you ever lost faith in me.

Hey now, no getting personal! But if you're not talking about me...ummm...nevermind!
;)

Look, I'm online! And posting something! And I had Bellezza Nera out today for a romp! And she is the hotness! -

literally...

got stuck at a Boulder traffic signal/combo cluster f**k for four stinking rotations and felt like my leg was getting slow-roasted from the lovely air-cooled bike getting all hot under the collar - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :nuke:

So anyhoo, call me, kiddo! I'm partially working/partially playing this weekend. Ah, the life of a workaholic. The first step is knowing you're a workaholic, right?

mtnairlover
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hmmmm, do I know this person? :think:

be surrounded by Ducati SEX? :eyebrows:

Hey now, no getting personal! But if you're not talking about me...ummm...nevermind!
;)

Look, I'm online! And posting something! And I had Bellezza Nera out today for a romp! And she is the hotness! -

literally...

got stuck at a Boulder traffic signal/combo cluster f**k for four stinking rotations and felt like my leg was getting slow-roasted from the lovely air-cooled bike getting all hot under the collar - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
So anyhoo, call me, kiddo! I'm partially working/partially playing this weekend. Ah, the life of a workaholic. The first step is knowing you're a workaholic, right?

Oh yeah...I meet up with ya and you tease me like none other with that hot rumbling hot'ness...um...oh damn! You got me...:drool:

Mental
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I've see ya at the rtack and you took GSXR Scott and me on that nice Northen ride after the blood drive. I'll ride with you anytime as well. You might be more spirited than some, but I never felt like I was gonna hafta call an ambulance.

I know I am bit agressive, but the folks I usually ride with get that. They give me my space, critique as required and forgive a lot. A decent protion are not agressive, and we just wait for them. No one bitches or gets worked up when we stop at a turn and wait for the group.

We have had some that just dismissed the lot of us becuase they are convinced we're insane. Well yeah, but not becuase of what you think.

Your friend was being hinerst and kudos to her, but its could be also she just doesn't ride like you do and you put her out of her comfort zone. Thats no one's fault either. So if you want to ride with her, either she adjust or you just have to dail it back. Since its her comfort zone, and you take joy from the ride and from te company, this one will probably fall to you.

The when you start feeling twitchy, go saddle up with a few more riders that fall more into your style, or better yet, just get a track bike and really get it out of your system.

Either way, you ride safe as well, too many peaple enjoy you 'round these parts.

mtnairlover
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Either way, you ride safe as well, too many peaple enjoy you 'round these parts.

Right back atcha sweetie.

Yeah...we all have our comfort levels. I don't mind riding with...er watching faster guys disappear in the distance. The ones I've ridden with were always waiting at the next stop. We get to chat and laugh and talk about technique, etc. I've learned a whole lot from people who have been riding a whole lot longer than myself and I truly appreciate it.

Oh yeah...and my friend and I will ride again...very soon...ain't that right, Bat?;)

Bat
Sat Jan 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
You know I loves ya, Cath. :)

The image that just popped in my head was that winter night we were getting ready to ride home from Motohaus. Remember? We were out front trying to rub/scrape the frost off the bikes with paper towels and someone's - what was that? shirt? sock? - some article of clothing. It was so freaking cold it was almost as if the frost was reforming as fast as we could get it off. We get on the bikes and take off and immediately I thought my hands were going to freeze and just fall off. By the time we got to Loveland, I was shivering so hard I questioned my ability to hold my bike up at stops. I wondered if one's teeth could chatter bad enough to actually sever one's tongue, lol. The few people in cars were looking at us like we were insane.

And I guess we are because despite all that, I would not have traded one moment of that night for a cozy ride home in a car. Well...maybe ONE moment, lol. :cold:

But , as you know, I got to the point where I was so worried for you. You were starting to have accidents. It's true that I saw you doing things out of my comfort zone - that zone being the one where I didn't want to watch my dear friend sliding down the road/into a ditch while all I could do was look on in horror and try not to hit you myself. It was a harsh decision but it was done out of love. And perhaps a bit of selfishness. I could never look your children or myself in the eyes again if something bad happened while we were in the canyons and they asked me why the hell didn't I say something. So I did. And I'm more than grateful that our friendship was strong enough to weather that. That's a testament to you, Cathy.