PDA

View Full Version : Help! My EX500 is running like crap

vw143
Mon Oct 4th, 2004, 10:24 PM
A couple of weeks back, I was riding back from the memorial ride and my bike just up and died on me(In the middle of traffic on Bowles) and wouldn't start back up. I had replaced the plugs and air filter 350 miles prior but hadn't touched any thing else. This eve. I pulled the plugs and as I suspected they were fouled so I cleaned them and put everything back together I then rode it up to the store from where it would not restart. I began pushing it up towards home and tried to restart it after a while and it did start but ran real rough and was rtather hesitant to rev, I made it home where upon pulling into my driveway it stalled and would not restart. This is puzzling because in 3,500 miles, the previous owner never had this problem. I was wondering if you had any sugestions? I Got the spark plugs from the overpriced Kawasaki dealer so I know they are the correct heat range and all. any help would be greatly appreciated, and please dont say "take your bike into so and so at such and such performance, he worked on my Aprillia and now it runs great!" I paid $1200 for the bike so a $300 tune up is out of the question plus I think I have something like $19.00 in my checking account, anyway thanks again, Chris

Anonymous
Mon Oct 4th, 2004, 10:42 PM
How fouled? I.e. fuel or oil?

Clean air filter?

Getting gas (gunked up carbs)? Getting too much gas (stuck float)? You might try just spraying short bursts of carb cleaner down the throttle valve (air filter out, of course). A can will set you back about $2.99. Might help. You can also try some fuel additive, BG44k is nice but will overdraw your account so try seafoam or techron (adjust amount for your gas tank size compared to a car).

mikesf4i
Mon Oct 4th, 2004, 10:46 PM
You didnt loan it to Project Mayhem did you?

Just kidding Aaron :lol:

Dysco
Mon Oct 4th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Those little bikes hardly ever get ridden. I'd look to the carbs first, too. Hell, I'll even give you a shot of 44K if you want to ride all the way to Aurora from Location Unknown. :D

There is no substitute for miles. Figure out how to get it running and keep it running.

vw143
Tue Oct 5th, 2004, 07:27 PM
I ran some 44k(1/3 can) in the bike when I first got it and I think it may have screwed it up or maby it was just knocking loose the gunk anyway, I drained all the 44k enhanced gas and changed plgs and went about 350 miles till this happened, Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will try the trick you suggested Ralph
Chris

mikesf4i
Tue Oct 5th, 2004, 09:58 PM
A buddy of mine had a first generation 900 ninja and the floats in all four of his carbs actually filled with fuel and sunk. Just throwing this one out there for consideration.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Oct 5th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I had an '84 900 Ninja as well as an '85. There was a Kawasaki recall on the carbs. The diaphragms would twist due to the Venturi effect under higher RPM's causing the carb slider to not fully expand to the full length of the carb bore. Kawasaki fixed the problem with four molded pieces of rubber on the underside of the diaphragms and it was ALL WARRANTY. But this was for the 900GPZ A-1 (’84 model). I’m not sure about the other models.

rybo
Mon Oct 11th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Don't forget to check the fuel filter as well. It may be clogged and blocking flow.

When I have problems like these I always try to start with the simple stuff. Check the filters, check the petcock and make sure it's functioning properly, check anything I changed recently to make sure I have it installed correctly etc.

Anyways, fuel filters are cheap. You may drain the tank and make sure there isn't rust in there that's buggering things up

Best of luck

Scott

vw143
Mon Oct 18th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I have tried the above tips to no avail, now it won't even fire up. I am truly lost, thanks for the advice though, maybe this thing is having some extreme gremlins or something.

Anonymous
Mon Oct 18th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Are you *sure* you are getting fuel flow TO the carbs (i.e. out of the fuel line)?

Are you sure you are getting spark at the plugs?

Are you sure the air filter isn't a nasty dirt-clogged block of crap now?

How do the plugs look now? (If you have a dig camera feel free to post up a pic of them too.)

You need 3 things to make the bike go vroom: Gas, air, and fire (i.e. spark). If any of those are missing, you won't go anywhere.

stumper
Wed Oct 27th, 2004, 12:22 PM
any chance you still have the old plugs?spin the bike over without the plugs in,stick a plug in the wire and see if there is spark,when you spin it.even though your new plugs may spark out of the engine, after fouling they may not spark under compression.try the old plugs ,or a new set .good luck and let us know your progress.

stumper

RAGrote
Thu Oct 28th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Mr. Forsythe has led you to the well spring of knowledge... drink from it.

If the previous owner let the bike sit with gas in it for as little as 2 months the carbs could have varnish in them from coagulated fuel. Putting a cleaner into them may have knocked some of the gunk loose and clogged the jets.
Pull the carbs and clean them. Find a forum buddy with a sync tool and set up the carbs.

Good luck!

vw143
Mon Nov 8th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Well, I got Spark, Checked and the fuel is flowing, Air filter is new and clean, now I just need to Charge battery and I will try and fire it over, any tips on how to go about this? Thanks, Chris

vw143
Sun Nov 21st, 2004, 03:47 PM
well, I am charging the battery as we speak so wish me luck.

rybo
Sun Nov 21st, 2004, 04:04 PM
VW

If the battery is new make sure that you charge it slowly, 2-3 amps would be good. Using a full sized car charger on it can evaporate the fluid very quickly. Nice slow long charge the first time will really help you out in the long run.

Best of luck, hope it runs for you!

Scott

bigfoot
Mon Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:34 AM
Charge the battery and put in a new set of plugs. You can go to checker and buy them for around two bucks each. I am willing to bet it will start right up. I have an 84 GPZ 750 that did the same thing. I found that if I don't close the petcock for the fuel I fouled the plugs and cannot start or have a hard time starting the bike. Also I lose power. Once the plugs are fuel fouled you can't really clen them enough to restore them. Just my two cents.

Keep us posted.

vw143
Sat Dec 4th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Well, Battery charged, new plugs and it will turn over but will not fire, I am getting fuel to the petcock but still no luck, I talked to my dad who is an old school motorcycle guy and he said that Kawi's have a Vacuum line that will not allow fuel to flow unless there is a source of vacuum coming from the engine, so essential if the engine stops, fuel is stopped to the carbs, he thinks maybe there is now a clog in this "Vacuum mechanism" Is this possible or is he way off? any help would be appreciated
Chris