PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Lights

Jason ON
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I don't know how well this will help, but thought I'd pass it along:

How to get a motorcycle/scooter through a traffic light. (http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights)

dattaway
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Magnets don't work. I have a big one that destorys televisions in the room, but it won't have an effect on the loops. I've installed a few of these loop controllers at work. They use a small pulse transformer like the ones in your ethernet controller. Low frequencies, such as power line hum and especially magnets don't register. The controllers respond to current losses due to eddy currents from vehicle mass. The only solution is adjusting the sensitivity or increasing the size of the vehicle. I wish the magnet myth would go away.

edit: the reason they are designed to detect eddy currents is because pervasive electronic interference won't constantly trip lights. Ever see a lightning strike or cell phones change the stoplights? No.

Aracheon
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Magnets don't work. I have a big one that destorys televisions in the room, but it won't have an effect on the loops. I've installed a few of these loop controllers at work. They use a small pulse transformer like the ones in your ethernet controller. Low frequencies, such as power line hum and especially magnets don't register. The controllers respond to current losses due to eddy currents from vehicle mass. The only solution is adjusting the sensitivity or increasing the size of the vehicle. I wish the magnet myth would go away.

edit: the reason they are designed to detect eddy currents is because pervasive electronic interference won't constantly trip lights. Ever see a lightning strike or cell phones change the stoplights? No.

Excellent explanation! Thank you... I didn't know that's how that worked.

matt2778
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I put the kickstand down and run across the street and hit the crosswalk button and run back

t_jolt
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I put the kickstand down and run across the street and hit the crosswalk button and run back

haha, I've actually done this once...

suzinpink
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
me too.... lol

Dr. Joe Siphek
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
just putting the kickstand down has worked for me

Rednarb
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I run it if it takes more than 60 seconds to change. *shrug* I guess that's not always possible if there's a lot of traffic.

~Barn~
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I'm with Rednarb. If it doesn't register that I'm there, and cycles through the light sequence w/out giving me a green, I go when it's safe. Save the rigmarole.

MetaLord 9
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Just do what Jeff did, wait a light cycle or two then run the pig.

ihavealegohead
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I usually run through or ask the car behind me to pull up.

Mr_RC
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 07:27 PM
All you need to do is rev your engine a little. 3-4k rpms should trigger the sensor. I"m a traffic engineer and have mucho experience with these suckers.

Also be sure to rev while your light is still red.

Rednarb
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 10:56 PM
All you need to do is rev your engine a little. 3-4k rpms should trigger the sensor. I"m a traffic engineer and have mucho experience with these suckers.

Also be sure to rev while your light is still red.
:pointlaugh:

ChrisCBX
Tue Jul 1st, 2008, 08:52 AM
I've wondered how those light controls worked. I've noticed here in town that there are lights that my GSXR won't trip but my big fat CBX will. I guess the X is just heavy/big enough to trip it.:dunno: