PDA

View Full Version : Random Strange Internet Stuff

Stark
Wed Oct 6th, 2004, 10:51 AM
MysticalBall.com (http://www.mysticalball.com/)

or

ESP Experiment (http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/esp2.html)

-R

Jmetz
Wed Oct 6th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Second one is easy to explain. If you want the answer let me know.

=Captain America=
Wed Oct 6th, 2004, 11:45 AM
:lol:

the second one is real easy, i love all the explanations listed that people have tried to come up with :lol:

919Guy
Wed Oct 6th, 2004, 11:52 AM
First one's real easy too...

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Oct 6th, 2004, 11:57 AM
someone explain the 1st one

snatfinder
Wed Oct 6th, 2004, 12:11 PM
think 9's

1000RR
Wed Oct 6th, 2004, 12:16 PM
It's called working in modulus. For a quick overview, working in modulus will compare numbers based on their remainder when divided by a common number. For example, if working in modulo 5 or mod 5, numbers are compared according to their remainders when divided by 5, instead of just your basic =. An example would be that 7 is congruent to (equal to basically) 17 when working in mod 5. The reason being that if you divide 7 by 5, you get 1 with a remainder of 2. The remainder is what matters, so ditch the 1. And 17 divided by 5 is equal to 3 with a remainder of 2, so again ditch the 3. SO 7 = 17 (mod 5).

Now, with this magic trick, it is based on modulus mathematics. What's a really neat property of numbers that I can explain in greater detail if requested is that you can tell if a number is divisible by 9 if you can divide the sum of its digits by 9 evenly. Again, an example will help here. Say you want to know if 38,922 is divisible by 9. Simply add up the digits 3+8+9+2+2=24. 24 is not divisible by 9, so 38,922 isn't either. Try it. There are a few other neat divisibility rules like this. Again, I can go into greater detail if you like. In fact, 3 has the same test.

So...on to the trick my friends. When you initially choose a number (following their example, 23), the number is either divisible by 9 or it isn't. Simple enough. Pretend it isn't divisible by 9. That means that you are left with some remainder if you were to divide it by 9 (see where the modulus comes in?? :) ). In fact, the sum of the two digits (2+3=5 in our case) tells you exactly how far off of being divisble by 9 you really are. For us, we would need to add 4 more to be divisible by 9 (or subtract 5...it's the same thing in mod 9). The real key here??? No matter what you do, if you follow the order of operations they tell you, you'll always end up with a number divisible by 9. Now go back to the list and (excluding 99 and 90, because it's impossible to end up with these) tell me if you see something similar among all numbers divisible by 9. That's right, same symbol.

Or so I'm told...

zukigirl
Wed Oct 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Ouch..... :crazy:

I was just satisfied knowing that it worked every time.

friscokidd
Wed Oct 6th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Ouch..... :crazy:

I was just satisfied knowing that it worked every time.

:wtf: :imwithstupid:

shmoab
Wed Oct 6th, 2004, 04:50 PM
:lol:

the second one is real easy, i love all the explanations listed that people have tried to come up with :lol:

Me too. :lol:

Slacker
Thu Oct 7th, 2004, 10:51 AM
It's called working in modulus. For a quick overview, working in modulus will compare numbers based on their remainder when divided by a common number. For example, if working in modulo 5 or mod 5, numbers are compared according to their remainders when divided by 5, instead of just your basic =. An example would be that 7 is congruent to (equal to basically) 17 when working in mod 5. The reason being that if you divide 7 by 5, you get 1 with a remainder of 2. The remainder is what matters, so ditch the 1. And 17 divided by 5 is equal to 3 with a remainder of 2, so again ditch the 3. SO 7 = 17 (mod 5).

Now, with this magic trick, it is based on modulus mathematics. What's a really neat property of numbers that I can explain in greater detail if requested is that you can tell if a number is divisible by 9 if you can divide the sum of its digits by 9 evenly. Again, an example will help here. Say you want to know if 38,922 is divisible by 9. Simply add up the digits 3+8+9+2+2=24. 24 is not divisible by 9, so 38,922 isn't either. Try it. There are a few other neat divisibility rules like this. Again, I can go into greater detail if you like. In fact, 3 has the same test.

So...on to the trick my friends. When you initially choose a number (following their example, 23), the number is either divisible by 9 or it isn't. Simple enough. Pretend it isn't divisible by 9. That means that you are left with some remainder if you were to divide it by 9 (see where the modulus comes in?? :) ). In fact, the sum of the two digits (2+3=5 in our case) tells you exactly how far off of being divisble by 9 you really are. For us, we would need to add 4 more to be divisible by 9 (or subtract 5...it's the same thing in mod 9). The real key here??? No matter what you do, if you follow the order of operations they tell you, you'll always end up with a number divisible by 9. Now go back to the list and (excluding 99 and 90, because it's impossible to end up with these) tell me if you see something similar among all numbers divisible by 9. That's right, same symbol.

Or so I'm told...

huh? :wtf: I'm still laughing at that avatar :lol:

1000RR
Thu Oct 7th, 2004, 11:02 AM
I'm still laughing at that avatar :lol:

"Soon I will rule the entire world!!"

salsashark
Thu Oct 7th, 2004, 12:37 PM
took me a couple of minutes on #2, haha that's good.

1000RR
Thu Oct 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM
took me a couple of minutes on #2

Perhaps a laxative is in order?

friscokidd
Fri Oct 8th, 2004, 12:43 PM
took me a couple of minutes on #2

Perhaps a laxative is in order?

:spit: :pointlaugh: :lol: And im also still laughing at your avatar every time i see it :up:

Mister Z
Sat Oct 9th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Second one is easy to explain. If you want the answer let me know.

Puff... Puff... Pass :crazy:

shmoab
Thu Oct 14th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Every time I need a laugh I read the explanation.
Here are some highlights.

This one is the best. The poor fool can't admit it.
"Cliff,
I tried three times and you missed twice. Better luck next time.
Bill"

"Petri Kotro (Finland)
University of Lapland
Dear Cliff, your program removed several times the card I named, even though I spoke Finnish when naming the card. There are not many people in Anglo-Saxon world who can read an Finno-Ugric mind that easy (or know any Finnish). Or maybe you're Celtic ? In that case, your programming skills would be quite intelligible. with best regards"

"I'm still convinced that you're influencing the pick in some way. And you've been tantalizingly discrete about if or when you will reveal all. My hat is off to you, sir. I respect your intellect and insight -- not a statement I make often."

"YOUR ESP EXPERIMENT PROGRAMED THE REMOVAL OF THE WRONG CARD. THE CARD REMOVED WAS NOT MY CHOSEN CARD.
BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME.
DAVE V. "

It goes on and on. LOL