PDA

View Full Version : Any simple and/or free mods for any HP gains?

zenlakin
Thu Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Just curious if there are any mods that can be done cheaply or free for a couple extra ponies on a 2006 R6? Currently my bike is stock with a K&N filter. Just curious if there is really anything that can be done on my bike for a little extra umph or if it is pretty much the best it is going to be until I do things like exhaust, power commander, 520 kit?

slayermd
Thu Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
TRE Mod.

You can also de-snorkel you intake box too.

Or just enjoy the power you already have.

D Berns R6
Thu Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:28 PM
I personally lost 7 lbs which is equal to 1 HP. Talk about Free HP!

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Thu Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM

Holy crap...you lose anymore and you won't be here!

Player 2
Thu Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Move to sea level? :up: :lol:

t_jolt
Thu Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
the yama's dont need a tre. I believe they are one of last manufactures who dont retard the timing

slayermd
Fri Jul 4th, 2008, 01:20 AM
the yama's dont need a tre. I believe they are one of last manufactures who dont retard the timing

I was thinking about that when I wrote my comment, but wasn't sure.

The number one reason I would move to sea level is to feel the power difference on my SV. There are too many mountain roads in Colorado for me to care thought.

Cars-R-Coffins
Fri Jul 4th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I moved to Colorado from Ohio 4 years ago and I still miss the power my bikes I had there. The roads are pretty sweet in Colorado but there are way too many cops lurking about looking to meet their quotas. (95% of my riding is in the foothills/mountains)

irdave
Mon Jul 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
You could always try opening the throttle sooner...

Clarkie
Mon Jul 7th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Or closing it later....

BigE
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Or twisting it to the stop...

~Barn~
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 01:26 PM
If it's just a little more "umph" that you want, you probably don't need more ponies, you just need a little tweak of your gearing. Drop a counter-sprocket tooth, or add a couple 2-or-3 in the back.

It's a mod that's very inexpensive, and depending on the change you make, you will notice the difference.

salsashark
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM

Bulimia - It's free, simple, and like D said, for every 7lbs ~ 1hp! woohoo :puke:

Mort82
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM
If it's just a little more "umph" that you want, you probably don't need more ponies, you just need a little tweak of your gearing. Drop a counter-sprocket tooth, or add a couple 2-or-3 in the back.

It's a mod that's very inexpensive, and depending on the change you make, you will notice the difference.

I don't know what kind of top speeds you guys hit out there, but this mod will affect your top speed and you will be in 5th or 6th gear before you know it.

I've heard this mod is best bang for the buck.

Sortarican
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM
... Drop a counter-sprocket tooth, or add a couple 2-or-3 in the back...

Agree, probably the cheapest speed upgrade you can make.
(-1 front +2 rear sprocket is probably the most popular.)
You loose top end, but really, how often do you need to go 160mph?

Another cheapie is replacing the stock fork springs (about $100).
Especially if you weight more than the 135lbs the manufacturers seem to believe is the average rider weight.

Best freebie for performance (though not horsepower) is to properly adjust your suspension to your weight and riding style.
(Or just have irdave do it for a couple bucks.)

Devaclis
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM
NAAAAAAAAAWS!!!

I like mine setup -1 +2. Like Jeff said, who really neesd 160MHP? Getting to 100 VERY quickly is where the fun is :)

t_jolt
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Actually i've been really thinking about just droping a tooth up front. i hear that makes a difference by itself. As i hear adding a 2 or 3 in the back makes a huge difference. But then you need speedo healer...

Tyrel

~Barn~
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM
As a general rule, droping a counter-sprocket tooth up front is roughly equal to adding 3 in the back.

And doing either will require speedo/odo correction.

Sortarican
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 02:01 PM
.. i hear adding a 2 or 3 in the back makes a huge difference. But then you need speedo healer... Tyrel

I went -1/+1 and it wasn't very harsh, actually now wish I'd gone -1 +2.

As for speedo healers, most stock geared bikes could use one anyway.
My change just took the +/- error from 3 over to 5 over (@ 55mph) which is actually easier to keep track of.

But yes, it will throw your speedo off to the high side.

Devaclis
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Speed healer is a MUST. You will be racking up near 15% more mileage than actual on your odo and your speedo will be useless.

rybo
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM
As a general rule, droping a counter-sprocket tooth up front is roughly equal to adding 3 in the back.

And your speedometer (provided the pickup is on the countershaft of transmission) will be inaccurate if you change ANY gearing, not just the rear.

SaShWhO
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 02:22 PM
repsol full synthetic blinker fluid, ceramic exhaust bearings and a high HP sticker kit is all you need.
hands down the most bang for the buck.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 06:24 PM

And doing either will require speedo/odo correction.

B is right. Here's a little chart to assist.

http://www.pit-bull.com/sprocket_ration_chart.pdf

However, it's just as easy to do the simple math. For example, if you have a 42 rear stock sprocket and a 17 front stock sprocket like I did...just divide the rear sprocket size by the front sprocket size....42/17=2.47 ratio. If you go -1 in front and +2 in the rear you get 44/16=2.75 ratio. The higher the ratio, the more "umph" you get as ~Barn~ put it earlier.

I would recommend a yellow box or speedohealer to get it corrected if you go the -1/+2 route though. As Dana mentioned, my speedometer reads about 15% higher than I'm actually going and in turn will add up the miles at that same rate, not good if and when you want to sell the bike if you let it go too long.

Also, from what I understand, you don't want to go down to far in the front, depending on chain type. It really works the chain very hard with a minimal radius bend at the front sprocket.