PDA

View Full Version : GAS LEAK

Erratic
Sat May 24th, 2003, 01:31 PM
I was riding today with the club when we came to a stop and all i could smell was gas. so i looked down and saw it pouring all over the engine and alternator :x . Thanks Spidey for checking it out, I hope you guys had a good ride. I did make it home o.k. no flames coming out so i guess that's good. I called around and Tfog definetly has the best prices. They can't get it in until tuesday though. I took off my gas tank and it looks like it's leaking from a peaice that connects to the carb on the bottom. Hopefully it's just a seal, but worst case scenario a rebuild will run around $300. Damn i need to buy a new bike. :guns: my bike

Erratic
Sat May 24th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Well HIX came by and took a look at it and says it's the float bowl gasket or O-ring which is fairly easy. So that's good news. Thanx for coming by I really appreciate it :) saves me money too. One thing i just thought of though is that as much as my bike vibrates the screws on the carb might have just loosened a little bit so i'm gonna try and tighten those down and see if that helps, hopefully that's it and everything is o.k. I still want a new bike though :D

firefghtr
Sat May 24th, 2003, 10:51 PM
When i went for a cruise on my old cbr. my engine started to sputter. i was thinking what the hell is going on. i looked down between my feet and gasoline was poring out on the pavement. oh shut. i pulled into a gas station a block away (thankfully) and the gas line coming from the tank was all the way unscrewed. thankfully i had the right tool, filled back up and washed my bike. :o

Anonymous
Sat May 24th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Glad to hear you got home okay & that it's not anything major (:up: HIX).

As far as the rest of the ride goes, I can't speak for everyone else, but I think it went well. It was a bit dicey with the weather a few times, but we managed to avoid getting rained on. :D

Erratic
Mon May 26th, 2003, 11:59 AM
well i can't reach the screws on the bottom of the carb to see if they need to be tightend.F*CK When Suzuki designed my bike they obviously were not thinking of making things easy and convieniant to get to and take apart. This is the crappiest bike to work on. So i guess i will wait for the wrenching party to take the whole thing apart. Without having a garage i really do not want to start working on it in my apartment complex. SO WRENCHING PARTY ON JUNE 7th RIGHT :up: :bananna: How many people are planning on being there?

BladeRider
Mon May 26th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Another possibility is it could be a float needle sticking open which would cause fuel to spew out into the throttle bore and down the sides of the carb. I don't know what bike you have, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to pull the airbox and pull the carbs off to work on them. Since you're cracking the bowls open, you might as well clean the float needle and seat and check the float height.

Tom

jontflesh
Sat Jun 7th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Do you have a Gixxer?

Another possibility is the fuel pump assembly gasket. I have had a couple of these bastards go out. It is a pretty easy switch. If you have gas coming from your fuel pump area I would say that is the culprit.

Flesh

Erratic
Sun Jun 8th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Do you have a Gixxer?

Another possibility is the fuel pump assembly gasket. I have had a couple of these bastards go out. It is a pretty easy switch. If you have gas coming from your fuel pump area I would say that is the culprit.

Flesh

No it's a Katana. Now I'm thinking that the gas lines might of just split down at the bottom and that's where it's been leaking the whole time. I have to replace them anyway cause last time the tank came off they split all the way down and now it's really leaking gas.

Erratic
Sat Jun 14th, 2003, 09:31 AM
I believe it's finally fixed :bananna: :bananna: :bananna: :bananna: :bananna: :D :D

O.K., here's what happened,
Hix and I took off the gas tank awhile ago to look at it. When we pulled the fuel lines off the tank they split. We looked at the carbs. and basically got nothing accomplished. When we put it back together we cut the lines where it split and taped them back to the tank (never a good idea :lol: )
On my way home I guess the lines split more and one was leeking really bad (huge loss of power) So I now have to replace those lines. I finally get to it last night. Pulled every thing off and where the 2nd hose connects to my 3&4 carbs. it was split. Now I'm thinking that was the original problem to begin with. Since it's like 8:00p.m. and all shops are closed I run to checker and get some fuel line. I don't know if there is a difference in lines for a motorcycle vs. a car, but I don't think it could be that big a difference. Although there was between the new one and the one that was on my bike. I don't even think that was fuel line. Anyway I get it back together and take it for a ride. No leak. And I think it's running a little better than it ever has. :D :D It was great to be out of the cage and back on two wheels :) :) :D

BladeRider
Sat Jun 14th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Nice work!

For a carbureted bike, the fuel lines requirements should be essentially the same. So you're good to go!