PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Gobert

konichd
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 12:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF2hz73u5Zk

I never knew much about the guy but have his Suomy replica helmet. Sad to see he was at the top on a Kawi and then fell so far. WTF?

More Trouble For Anthony Gobert
2/8/2006
MCUSA Staff

Anthony Gobert, universally regarded as one of the best pure racing talents ever seen, is back to making news for his exploits off the track.

The eldest and most highly regarded of the Gobert brothers has had a long history of substance abuse, getting him booted out of World Superbike before an illustrious but troubled career in AMA Superbike. His last gig in the AMA with Erion Racing lasted only one race before a car accident with alcohol involvement sent him back to Australia where he raced that country's Superbike championship last year.

The Go-Show's latest troubles have surfaced regarding a recent court ruling. The Camden Advertiser, an Australian newspaper, reported the 30-year-old roadracer was been sentenced to 300 hours of community service and fined $600 dollars in an Australian court for speeding and driving with a suspended license. Gobert's license had been suspended due to previous traffic offenses and is now revoked until November of 2010.

The most troubling part of this story is that Gobert's legal defense blamed the erratic behavior on Gobert's addiction to heroin and claim Gobert was en route to score more of the drug during his most recent infraction.

In a follow-up to the initial reports, Gobert's mother, Sue Gobert, issued statements to several racing-related websites clarifying the legal proceedings. She pointed out the incident in question occurred long before the last week's court date and that Anthony has been clean for several months after admitting himself into a rehab program, part of the reason behind the judge's relatively lenient sentence.

For those who have been lucky enough to see the near-supernatural talents of Anthony Gobert in action on a racetrack or who have met the highly affable race in person, we trust you're with us at MotorcycleUSA in hoping this is the last time you'll be reading about Gobert's legal and personal problems.

Anthony Gobert's Racing Career
2004 - AMA Superstock, Erion Honda (one race, 16th place)
2003 - AMA Superbike, Ducati Austin (fired midseason)
2002 - AMA Superbike, Factory Yamaha (injury)
2001 - AMA Superbike, Factory Yamaha (2 wins, injury); AMA 600 Supersport (2 wins)
2000 - WSB, Bimota (1 win in rain at Phillip Island); 500cc GP, Roberts-Modenas; BSB, Virgin Yamaha; ASB, Winfield Honda
1999 - AMA Superbike, Vance & Hines Ducati (3rd; 5 wins)
1998 - AMA Superbike, Vance & Hines Ducati (9th; 3 wins; epic duel with Duhamel at Road Atlanta; banned 3 races for failing a cannibis drug screening)
1997 - 500cc Grand Prix World Championship, Lucky Strike Suzuki (15th; kicked off team for testing positive for marijuana use)
1996 - World Superbike, Kawasaki (8th; 3 wins)
1995 - World Superbike, Kawasaki (4th; 2 wins)
1994 - Australian Superbike Champion
1992 - Australian Supercross Champion

636chick
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I remember when he got the boot from World for testing positive for the smokey smoke :siesta:. I remember thinking what a waste to not be able to stay clean for 6 months to race :no:. Not to mention how the hell can you ride stoned?? Shit the furthest I could get (that would be stumbling) was to the kitchen for my damn CHEETO'S!!!! God how I love Chester cause he is the cheesiest :yumyum:

:wait: waiting for the goof patrol to come in and say it was because he rode a Kawi and it drove him to addiction 5...4...3...2......

konichd
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
^^^Notice he was on a Suzuki when he got caught ;)

636chick
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 12:45 PM
^^^Notice he was on a Suzuki when he got caught ;)

AHHHH HAAAAAAA!!!!! I totally missed that one I saw the Duc but not the Suzuki.

Well then that is different.............. see what happens when you ride the Squid bike of choice you become a squid :siesta:!!!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am now offically ducking under my desk with my cheeto's :)

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Thats a 2 year old news story. His more recent run-in with the law is actually pathetic-
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23703499-3102,00.html

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/05/16/11185_gold-coast-news.html

MOTORCYCLE star Anthony Gobert has been banned from central Surfers Paradise after an alleged 'crime rampage' - including the robbery of a 70-year-old man.

Gobert was one of Australia's top motorbike racers in the 1990s and early 2000s, winning an Australian superbike championship and eight world superbike races.

But he was dubbed the sport's 'Wild Child' as his career spun out of control.

Now unemployed, the 33-year-old faced Southport Magistrate's Court today charged with two counts of stealing.

Police alleged that on Tuesday, he snatched two $20 notes from the hand of a 70-year-old man at a Coles supermarket checkout in Surfers Paradise.

The following day, he allegedly snatched a woman's purse on the streets of Surfers.

In his racing heyday, Gobert had a penchant for dying his hair weird and wonderful colours, but appeared in court with his head shaved.

Prosecutor Trudi Jobberns strongly opposed bail, saying his offences were escalating and he was targeting the vulnerable.

But duty solicitor Claire Boothman said the police case was weak and Gobert had been co-operative.

Ms Jobberns retorted: ``That may be the case but he seems not to be co-operative with the public when he goes outside.''

Magistrate Michael Hogan warned an agitated Gobert to stop speaking from the dock while Ms Boothman was representing him.

Gobert told Mr Hogan `I'm a professional motorcycle rider mate' but then said he was unemployed and had applied for a job at Subway.

Mr Hogan described Gobert's alleged 'crime rampage' as 'appalling' but said bail had to be granted.

``I guess if he does it again one more time, there's no way in the world he'll be released,'' the magistrate said.

Gobert was bailed on condition he surrender his passport, report five days a week to police and not enter central Surfers Paradise. He was remanded until June 11.

He clashed verbally with Ms Jobberns as he left the dock, suggesting he might commit a third offence.

``That's it for now.'' Gobert said.

The prosecutor responded: ``Are you going to do another one?''

Outside court, Gobert denied the charges and said they were causing him a 'lot of stress'.

pilot
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Some fat-cat in the drug chain made a buck off his demise. Sad.

konichd
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Thats a 2 year old news story. His more recent run-in with the law is actually pathetic-
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23703499-3102,00.html

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/05/16/11185_gold-coast-news.html

MOTORCYCLE star Anthony Gobert has been banned from central Surfers Paradise after an alleged 'crime rampage' - including the robbery of a 70-year-old man.

Gobert was one of Australia's top motorbike racers in the 1990s and early 2000s, winning an Australian superbike championship and eight world superbike races.

But he was dubbed the sport's 'Wild Child' as his career spun out of control.

Now unemployed, the 33-year-old faced Southport Magistrate's Court today charged with two counts of stealing.

Police alleged that on Tuesday, he snatched two $20 notes from the hand of a 70-year-old man at a Coles supermarket checkout in Surfers Paradise.

The following day, he allegedly snatched a woman's purse on the streets of Surfers.

In his racing heyday, Gobert had a penchant for dying his hair weird and wonderful colours, but appeared in court with his head shaved.

Prosecutor Trudi Jobberns strongly opposed bail, saying his offences were escalating and he was targeting the vulnerable.

But duty solicitor Claire Boothman said the police case was weak and Gobert had been co-operative.

Ms Jobberns retorted: ``That may be the case but he seems not to be co-operative with the public when he goes outside.''

Magistrate Michael Hogan warned an agitated Gobert to stop speaking from the dock while Ms Boothman was representing him.

Gobert told Mr Hogan `I'm a professional motorcycle rider mate' but then said he was unemployed and had applied for a job at Subway.

Mr Hogan described Gobert's alleged 'crime rampage' as 'appalling' but said bail had to be granted.

``I guess if he does it again one more time, there's no way in the world he'll be released,'' the magistrate said.

Gobert was bailed on condition he surrender his passport, report five days a week to police and not enter central Surfers Paradise. He was remanded until June 11.

He clashed verbally with Ms Jobberns as he left the dock, suggesting he might commit a third offence.

``That's it for now.'' Gobert said.

The prosecutor responded: ``Are you going to do another one?''

Outside court, Gobert denied the charges and said they were causing him a 'lot of stress'.

SUBWAY FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

636chick
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM
See now that is soooo sad :cry:. He was a phenomenal rider just goes to show Drugs are baaaaddddd M-Kay :yes:

Wasn't their a younger brother to Arron maybe I wonder what ever happened to him????

konichd
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
^^^Aaron Gobert is on Erion Honda, he's Josh Hayes teammate. I've never heard about another brother? :dunno:

636chick
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
^^^Aaron Gobert is on Erion Honda, he's Josh Hayes teammate

Wow really shows how much I pay attention Josh I hear about, but I don't remember hearing anything about Aaron. Guess that means he isn't winnin so much :oops:

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM
^^^Aaron Gobert is on Erion Honda, he's Josh Hayes teammate. I've never heard about another brother? :dunno:

two brothers; Aaron and Alex. Aaron was on Erion last year and is riding for the Rockwell Honda this year in FX. He was the ama superstock champ a few years ago on the Graves R1. Alex rode for Erion a few years back and went back to Australia in 2006...hopefully to not follow in his oldest brother's footsteps.

636chick
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 01:33 PM
two brothers; Aaron and Alex. Aaron was on Erion last year and is riding for the Rockwell Honda this year in FX. He was the ama superstock champ a few years ago on the Graves R1. Alex rode for Erion a few years back and went back to Australia in 2006...hopefully to not follow in his oldest brother's footsteps.

Holy Hooters Batman I didn't know about the third brother wow!!! Jim you sooooooo give me a chill you know that!!!!!! Well I hope both the other 2 don't follow in the steps of the Supermarket bandit either.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Jim you sooooooo give me a chill you know that!!!!!!

:eyebrows:

green_zx7r
Tue Jul 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Yup... Too bad for Anthony. He was such a phenomenal rider... He did incredible things on the Muzzy ZX7R in WSBK. I also loved watching him on the R6 and R7 in AMA awhile back.
It's terrible to hear these outcomes. I heard about a similar news recently of a well known mechanic for an AMA factory team that lost his job, and eventually robbed a bank or something... Sad news when people are that desperate...

I believe Alex retired from racing motorcycles at a very young age to pursue motorcycle magazine journalism. Not sure why he called it quits, but the kid had talent, and was racing with Erion in his last year I believe.

It was always fun watching the 3 Goberts and 3 Haydens dicing it out in the AMA back around 2002-2003.

bandido
Wed Jul 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I also have his helmet, To bad about his problems, I used to like the way he raced.

puckstr
Wed Jul 9th, 2008, 08:53 AM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j255/lindsaybigs/Mr_Mackey.jpg

636chick
Wed Jul 9th, 2008, 09:51 AM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j255/lindsaybigs/Mr_Mackey.jpg

Ok Puckstr I am so stealing that picture cause after Twatwaffle that is my most favorite line EVVAR!!!!!! MMMMMKAY!!!!!! Thank You!!!!

puckstr
Wed Jul 9th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Steal away

just keep the avatars sexy