PDA

View Full Version : Don't Diss a 250!!

Nerves
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 01:25 AM
So myself and Whitest shot up the Pouder this evening, him on his Ninja 250 and me on my SV650. That little bike had NO problems in the twisties. Straight aways are another story, but there where not many of those. Basically, as a new comer to the sport I have learned a valuable lesson. A good rider can enjoy any bike no matter the size. :headbang:

Ricky
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Word to that. Even on my first group ride with my old 250, I was able to keep up for the most part, except up in the real high altitudes on the way to Deckers. Otherwise, it's not all about engine size!

denver_whitest185
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Just imagine how it'll corner when the suspension is set up properly and some sticky pirelli's

i wouldn't say straight line speed was a problem, i just didnt feel like i needed to go faster than the speed we were at, since that was already over the speed limit.

straight lines gave you chance to catch up anyways :)

jk

Drift
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM
...Ninja 250...That little bike had NO problems in the twisties...I have learned a valuable lesson...A good rider can enjoy any bike no matter the size...

Amen brother...

Tipys
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM
The ninja 650 is also a slow bike which is fun. and avoid tickets when riding with faster bikes.

ghost-whiner
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah... 250 love... all about the 250 love :D

Shortcake
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I want my two-fiddy back....:cry:

siriuschris
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 06:40 PM
250 FTMFW

64BonnieLass
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I want my two-fiddy back....:cry:

Really????!!! So, go get one sister so we can ride together. Get on it!!!! :)

Maui
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
I loved my little two-fiddy. I called her "Little Toot". She was so much fun. I sold her for a bigger bike. I had a 08 250, cherry red. Sold it the same day I advertised it on craigslist.
I had an ad in the newspaper for a week, not one response. Apparently, motorcycle riders don't read the newspaper. :dunno:

Sortarican
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
So myself and Whitest shot up the Pouder this evening,..

We don't need to hear about your sex life.

MissBehave
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Being the noobie on the block. I have a 250 and I am in love:drool: with it. My sugz has a R1 and in my own delusional mind I can keep up on our rides around town. Anywhoo, its a great bike and its all I need. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be changing the tune of my song :music: but for today my Ninja rocks my world.

Plus....I am girlie and it looks pretty! :boobies:

Mae
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
One of my good friends on another forum once said
"Good riders make slow bikes fast"

denver_whitest185
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
right now im hating my two fitty. i blew my rear shock yesterday, probably from riding peak to peak two up. when i came out to it this morning, there was a pool of shock fluid puddled underneath it :(

i wasn't over the weight limit either (im around 180, she was 130) and i also have ~20 lbs removed from the rear of the bike with my aftermarket exhaust....

:(

Drift
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
right now im hating my two fitty. i blew my rear shock yesterday, probably from riding peak to peak two up. when i came out to it this morning, there was a pool of shock fluid puddled underneath it :(

i wasn't over the weight limit either (im around 180, she was 130) and i also have ~20 lbs removed from the rear of the bike with my aftermarket exhaust....

Sorry to hear about your dilemma...I hope you get your ride fixed soon.

Ciao,
Drift

Bat
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
My 250 was an awesome bike - bought her brand new in 2005 and put more miles on her in the roughly 2 and a half years I had her then most people could believe. We went everywhere together from the top of CO mountain passes to IMI fun to the 101 at sea level in CA. Every kind of pavement, gravel, dirt, even a sidewalk when I had to make my way past a newly tarred road. She'd still be with me today if not for the motard encounter. Although I have my Italian beauties now, there will always be a special place in my heart for my lost 250 and it extends to every 250 I see on the road. Nine times out of ten, the only people that diss the 250s are those who've never ridden one (or never ridden one well, lol). :)

http://forums.ninja250.org/uploads/409707.jpg

asp_125
Tue Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:04 PM

Think of it as an opportunity to upgrade the rear shock.

denver_whitest185
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
and an opportunity to wring my credit card again. im a tutor for CSU currently. aka - low funds....

im having IRdave look at it tomorrow to see if he can rebuild it, and he's checking around to see how much an aftermarket one will run me though him. i may have found a nice used fox shock though

DavidofColorado
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
I loved my first 250 ninja. It was my first bike and I rode it with great caution because it was the fastest thing I ever drove. And when I showed it off at work a dude said why didn't I get a bigger bike. I was afraid of a bigger bike at the time. They do rock!

David

rforsythe
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Think of it as an opportunity to upgrade the rear shock.

Bingo. Look around for EX500 or SV650 shocks; you can probably find one and have Dave freshen it up. I believe the EX500 bolts right up, the SV650 is better but requires a bracket or something. I know a guy out in Virginia making those brackets however.

The 250's are actually stupid fun. No real power to speak of, and they start out like a scooter, but above 9K they get a (little) grunt to them and pick up speed. I recently got done building one for Donna to learn on (guy on here was selling it with a blown motor), and even if she outgrows it I think we'll keep it just for pure entertainment value. Fun in the turns, and if you keep the speed up it'll move.

It's also hard to argue with something that has no trouble doing highway speed (or more...) and gets 70-80mpg.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
250!!!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/dietpepsi_2008/100_0480.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/dietpepsi_2008/170053d1218745852t-pics-my-girls-ne.jpg

denver_whitest185
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Bingo. Look around for EX500 or SV650 shocks; you can probably find one and have Dave freshen it up. I believe the EX500 bolts right up, the SV650 is better but requires a bracket or something. I know a guy out in Virginia making those brackets however.

I think the fox race shock i just picked up will blow both of those out of the water :hump:

Tipys
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Dana how do you always find the best pics

Jim_Vess
Wed Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Nine times out of ten, the only people that diss the 250s are those who've never ridden one (or never ridden one well, lol). :)

You said it there! Small bikes are tons of fun when you know what you're doing.

A group of guys my age (I'm almost 49) that I've ridden with for a quite a few years all gave me shit when I got rid of my 1100 cruiser and went to a 600 sportbike. They all ride HD's and metric cruisers and referred to my R6 as the "little bike". They kept asking me when I was going to get a "real bike."

Well, one day in July, they all shut up about it when they were passed by someone on a 2008 Ninja 250 about halfway up 119 through Boulder Canyon.

I was waiting for them at the Sinclair station in Ned (I was a good ten minutes ahead of them) when I saw a green 250 go by and head up 72. When they all finally showed up they were talking about "green Kawi liter bike" that blew by them. The looks on their faces was priceless when I told them it was a 250.

Maybe it was someone on this forum that was on that 250. My buddies were on a Honda VTX, Honda Magna, and an HD Wide Glide. Whoever did it, thanks for the great laugh I got when I told them about the little bike that smoked them. :slappers:

OUTLAWD
Sun Sep 14th, 2008, 10:56 AM
While I'm not dissing a 250, I'm not going to say I love it. I've been tooling around on my roomates 08 Ninja 250, because my Triumph is still jersey, and he just picked up a 636. Last weekend we ran across 14, and back through rocky mountain, and this past weekend we shot down 7 and 72. I was keeping up in the twisties fine, but try passing any cager without a downhill and a tailwind is a lost cause.

SLVRSURFR
Sun Sep 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
While I'm not dissing a 250, I'm not going to say I love it. I've been tooling around on my roomates 08 Ninja 250, because my Triumph is still jersey, and he just picked up a 636. Last weekend we ran across 14, and back through rocky mountain, and this past weekend we shot down 7 and 72. I was keeping up in the twisties fine, but try passing any cager without a downhill and a tailwind is a lost cause.
A 250cc is a good bike to learn on, I imagine... And serves the purpose for those that wants that kind of "power"

GRNMSHN
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 10:03 PM
250's good in my book, they do say kawasaki on them, right.
plus you usually can't tell unless you look hard or ask.

chenc544
Wed Feb 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Passing on highway speed with a 250 requires some planning... From my experience the top speed of a 250 at our altitude is about 85-90 mph. If the speed limit is 75 and everyone is going 80-85 you can see there is going to be a problem. :)

denver_whitest185
Wed Feb 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM
ive hit 110 on my speedometer before on a flat stretch (thats where the rev limiter hits in 6th with the tires im using)

chenc544
Thu Feb 5th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I have an '09 and it hits the wall at around 90 mph according to my GPS. The pre-'08 250's are suppose to have more power than my '09 so it wouldn't surprise me if they have higher top speed.

Bueller
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Mine absolutly rocks! 1 step above scooter and the little sumbitch has me smiling.
It is fun to ride the bike, and not the motor.
People would be amazed at what one of these will do, it is the only sportbike I will ever ride to near full potential. :lol:

Matrix
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
I wasnt that intrigued about these bikes until I read the artical in sport rider last month. Talk about a cheap way to get into racing! Plus with the bikes being so equal its more on the rider to get the win. I wish they had a series like this here.

http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_0903_2008_kawasaki_ninja_250/index.html

Stank Juic3
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
I love my lady's 250. Very Very fun bike.

Sean
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
I wasnt that intrigued about these bikes until I read the artical in sport rider last month. Talk about a cheap way to get into racing! Plus with the bikes being so equal its more on the rider to get the win. I wish they had a series like this here.

http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_0903_2008_kawasaki_ninja_250/index.htmlCool article :up: That would be such a blast, and reasonably priced.

I've heard in passing (I think) that there are other organizations that have 250 races. I bet if we had enough interest, and enough people that were serious about it, we might be able to convince the MRA to start up a class. There would probably need to be some serious momentum behind it though.

rybo
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
We've done some looking into it in the MRA and there are some real problems with the class here.

1) It's a one class bike and we'd have to MAKE the class for it.

2) At altitude the power is further reduced

3) You could take a nap, get a donut and read a short story in the time it would take to manage the straights at Pueblo or HPR.

All that adds up to not many participants. Anyone currently racing would have to buy a new bike to race, and the newbies would only have one class that they could even think about being competitive in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a STRONG advocate for a "riders" class in the MRA, but this isn't going to be the way it happens.

s

Sean
Fri Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
That's what I was kind of thinking. Limited participants and limited classes to run in. I have a funny feeling your exaggerating about the straight (although it probably isn't that far off either). I can't imagine a 250 down the straight @ Miller. It seems like forever on a 600.

Bueller
Sat Apr 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I want to take it to PMI one of these days, won't be any worse than my KTM tard was. 95mph down the straight.

konichd
Sat Apr 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I think those people that don't think the 250 would be a good race class have it wrong. Look in a number of magazines (SR March 2009) and you'll see why the Ninja 250 race class is getting huge.
-Its cost effective (tires last 3 race weekends and are cheap)
-Just add race plastic and safety wire
-A great alternative for new racers compared to the "sportsman" class
-Easy way to get into racing without being overwhelmed

You could easily pick up a used 250 and get racing for less than $5K. Its catching on everywhere else for a reason, why not here? :dunno:

Matrix
Sat Apr 4th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I think those people that don't think the 250 would be a good race class have it wrong. Look in a number of magazines (SR March 2009) and you'll see why the Ninja 250 race class is getting huge.
-Its cost effective (tires last 3 race weekends and are cheap)
-Just add race plastic and safety wire
-A great alternative for new racers compared to the "sportsman" class
-Easy way to get into racing without being overwhelmed

You could easily pick up a used 250 and get racing for less than $5K. Its catching on everywhere else for a reason, why not here? :dunno:

Those were my thought exactly and those of the artical above. I like the idea for sure.

olds_cool
Sat Apr 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I have an '08 Hyosung 250GT. V-twin power and the size of a 650!

In 28 years of riding and bike owning, it's one of the "funnest" bikes I've ever owned.

I bought it for the great mpg last July when gas prices were ridiculous. I'm not interested in trying to race anyone and the bike does the job I need it to do.

sleepercivic88
Wed May 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I started out on a 250 ninja the only thing was the suspension and tire selection can make you feel less than confident at times. But my 250 was old so the suspension was toast..It was a fun bike and I was able to keep up with bigger bikes with unskilled riders.

asp_125
Wed May 27th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I think a "sippy cup" race for 250's would be a hoot, spec motor, limited tweaks and close competition. Find a way to make older 250s competitive and talk about a cheap way to race. I mean, look at the 125cc GP bike races, drafting and position changes; fun!

McVaaahhh
Wed May 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I don't think the 250 would work for me. I carry more lbs than the little ninja has CC's. :lol:

Bueller
Wed May 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM
You'd be surprised, we ride 2 up (300+) around town fine and it is still will run us up and down the close in mnts. On my own the thing actually rails pretty good.

drago52
Wed May 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
250cc = "meh"

IMO, 250s are just a "meh" bike. If it's just for commuting, great, but if I'm just riding on the weekends, then I need something that puts a smile on my face and raises the hair on my arms when I crank it up. I want to be a superhero when I ride. I'm sure they corner fine, but they don't blow my hair back.

I'll take the Prius to work, then drive the 500bhp rally car on the weekends if you know what I mean. (no, I don't own either of those cars, but that'd be my fantasy)