PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrench?

HDave
Sat Oct 9th, 2004, 08:52 PM
I am going to be buying a torque wrench soon, but need some advice.

The job I am buying it for requires only 30 ft/lb. But I want it to be usefull for other work on the bike.

So: 3/8" or 1/2" and 10-75 ft/lb or 20-150? :wtf:

is a $60 torque wrench a POS or decent?

Any tips?

Anonymous
Sat Oct 9th, 2004, 09:13 PM
$60 prolly won't get you a great one, but should work. For a decent one that won't kill your budget, go to Sears, their Craftsman wrenches are good for the home shop. I kinda got to liking the Snap On digital ones TK has when I was in there, but I'd have to sell the bike to buy a set of those...

3/8" is what you need. I don't think I've ever used a 1/2" on the bike (only reason you'd need to is axle nuts, but you actually don't want to torque those down, just the pinch bolts, which are 3/8"). 'Bout the only time I have used a 1/2" torque wrench is putting the heads back on my truck... I may have used one at TK for the bike, but if you're into major engine overhaul you wouldn't be asking about this anyway.

HDave
Sat Oct 9th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Good advise. Exactly what I needed. :up:

thanks

The GECCO
Sun Oct 10th, 2004, 02:16 AM
I agree completely with Ralph. In addition, I wouldn't trust any 1/2" drive torque wrench to be accurate below 50 ft/lbs or so (based on bad personal experiences), use a 3/8 for the lower torque jobs and leave the 1/2" for the head bolts, axle tubes, etc.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Oct 12th, 2004, 08:55 AM
The Sears Craftsman torque wrenches are not bad and they have a lifetime warranty. They sell a 5 - 80 lb/ft with a 3/8" drive for around $100. I have two Snap-Ons but with the prices they go for now I would probably get the Craftsman if I had to buy another.

Zang
Tue Oct 12th, 2004, 10:32 PM
IF you get the indicator style the 1/2" ones are as accurate as any no matter how low the torque. IF it's a click-type, $60 won't get one worth it's weight in cr@p. If you are looking for cheap and accurate, you need to get the dial or indicator type.

HDave
Wed Oct 27th, 2004, 10:20 PM
What do you guys think about this, looks pretty cool but do they work good???

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944598000&tab=spe&bidsite=CRAFT#tablink

Bueller
Thu Oct 28th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Might not be the most convienent thing to use. Myself I would take the $ and put it towards a real wrench.