PDA

View Full Version : Help defend the wolves

Player 2
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:25 PM
This is something I support very strongly. Heck, my dog is 1/2 wolf ;-) We need to put a stop to the ignorance that is threatening the wolves once again. It wasn’t enough that we systematically wiped them out to the point of near extinction last century. Let’s put a stop to this once and for all.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

http://jonatwood.com/2008/06/27/help-save-the-wolves/

Me and my BIG BAD WOLF :lol:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/jdatwood/RsTT884BI-I/AAAAAAAAFUA/pR0XSvmzHNk/P1010004.JPG?imgmax=720

64BonnieLass
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Gorgeous!! They are very good dogs and very loyal to their owners (from the exposure I have had). Absolutely gorgeous.

Big-J
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:29 PM
My, what big ears you have granny!

~Barn~
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Gorgeous!! <snip...> Absolutely gorgeous.

Thank-you.. Steve Irwin.

Sortarican
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Here's another one people can use to express their support:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/706371424?z00m=15403552

Big-J
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Thank-you.. Steve Irwin.

Im not being aggressive, Im being dominate.

Player 2
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Here's another one people can use to express their support:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/706371424?z00m=15403552
Awesome, thanks! :up:

Player 2
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Im not being aggressive, Im being dominated.
Fixed it for you J

Big-J
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Fixed it for you J

Actually, that time I was right!

Player 2
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty sure you were going for dominant but dominated works so much better for you :lol:

Sortarican
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Gorgeous!! They are very good dogs and very loyal to their owners (from the exposure I have had). Absolutely gorgeous.

IMHO, and no offense intended to those who own them, but wolf-dog hybrids are a bad idea.
The few that make good pets are the exception, not the rule.
Thousands have to be put down every year because they're just too smart to be controled like a dog and have preditory behavior that can't be predicted.
There's also the risk of watering down the gene pool of wild wolves with domestic genes should they get into the wild breading stock.

If you love them, and decide you want one, go to a rescue group.
Don't support breading new hybrid litters.
[/soapbox]

That said, beautiful animal P2.

64BonnieLass
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM
[/soapbox]

+1 Nice one Jeff!

Player 2
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:41 PM
IMHO, and no offense intended to those who own them, but wolf-dog hybrids are a bad idea.
The few that make good pets are the exception, not the rule.
Thousands have to be put down every year because they're just too smart to be controled like a dog and have preditory behavior that can't be predicted.
There's also the risk of watering down the gene pool of wild wolves with domestic genes should they get into the wild breading stock.

[/soapbox]

That said, beautiful animal P2.
I would have to disagree with you there but we'll just end up going back and forth like we're discussing politics or religion. :lol:

I'll take your comment one step further though...

If you want ANY kind of dog, go to a rescue group. Don't support the mass breeding that goes on in this country. Let's take care of the animals we already have

and Thanks :up: She's a total lover....

Big-J
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure you were going for dominant but dominated works so much better for you :lol:

:spit:....I stand corrected! Jesus, I clicked on the wrong damn word on spell check. I should just learn how to spell.

Player 2
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
:spit: That always helps J :up:

DevilsTonic
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Looks like quite the lap dog. Love wolf mixes..!!

Player 2
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Looks like quite the lap dog. Love wolf mixes..!!
Yeah, she's a lap dog to a fault... been hard keeping her off Scott's couch this week and occasionally when he's here she tries taking over his bed :lol:

Sortarican
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I would have to disagree with you there but we'll just end up going back and forth like we're discussing politics or religion.....

:lol: Truer words was never spoke brother.

My family breeds Siberians so technically we're guilty of contributing to the pet overpopulation problem.

Hard to argue that a hybrid isn't one of the most beautiful (and definitely the most intelligent) dogs in the world.
I am interested to hear about your experiences with your hybred over a beer sometime.

Player 2
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM
:lol: Truer words was never spoke brother.

My family breeds Siberians so technically we're guilty of contributing to the pet overpopulation problem.

Hard to argue that a hybrid isn't one of the most beautiful (and definitely the most intelligent) dogs in the world.
I am interested to hear about your experiences with your hybred over a beer sometime.
She's the 3rd in our family so any time you wanna buy me a beer :up: :cheers:

Sortarican
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
She's the 3rd in our family so any time you wanna buy me a beer :up: :cheers:

Oh Hell...I never said anything about BUYING.

Player 2
Thu Jul 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
:lol: Just givin you shit. I'm no mooch... I'll buy the first round :cheers:

Player 2
Fri Sep 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Oh Hell...I never said anything about BUYING.
Think we got those beers out of the way this past weekend Jeff? :cheers:

Player 2
Fri Sep 5th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Oh, and another good reason we don't want Palin in the White House...

Governor Sarah Palin has an extreme anti-conservation record on issues ranging from global warming, energy and drilling to wildlife and habitat protection.
Aerial hunting of wolves and bears

Governor Palin is an active promoter of Alaska's aerial hunting program whereby wolves and bears are shot from the air or chased by airplanes to the point of exhaustion before the pilot lands the plane and a gunner shoots the animals point blank.

Palin offered a $150 bounty for wolves to entice hunters to kill more wolves in certain parts of the state, with hunters having to present a wolf's foreleg to collect the bounty.

She actively opposed a ballot measure campaign seeking to end the aerial hunting of wolves by private hunters and approved a $400,000 state-funded campaign aimed at swaying people's votes on the issue.

She also introduced legislation to make it easier to kill wolves and bears and which would have also removed the aerial hunting initiative from the ballot and block the ability of citizens to vote on the issue.

The Board of Game, which she appoints, has approved the killing of black bear sows with cubs as part of the program and expanded the aerial control programs.

The media is currently looking into reports that state officials implementing one of the aerial wolf killing programs illegally killed five-week old wolf pups just outside their dens.

Global Warming

As recently as August 2008, Governor Palin questioned whether man-made fossil fuel emissions are responsible for global warming, defying worldwide scientific consensus (Newsmax 8/29/08). And her drill-drill-drill approach to energy issues will do nothing to ease the causes of global warming, promote the use of clean, renewable energy sources, or break our addiction to foreign oil.
Endangered Species

Palin has repeatedly opposed the listing of endangered animals under the Endangered Species List despite overwhelming scientific evidence that such listings are warranted.

Polar Bear

The U.S. Geological Survey predicts that loss of summer sea ice - crucial habitat for polar bears - could lead to the demise of two-thirds of the world's polar bears by mid-century, including all of Alaska's polar bears. The Bush administration has proposed listing the polar bears as threatened under the ESA to help protect polar bear habitat from threats such as oil and gas development.

Governor Palin has actively opposed the listing of the polar bear despite the fact that Alaska's top marine mammal biologists agreed with the federal scientists who believed the bear should be listed. She wrote the Secretary of Interior urging him not to list the bear on the ground it might hurt the state's oil- and gas-dependent economy. After the bear was listed, she recently filed suit seeking to overturn the listing of polar bears.
Beluga Whales

Alaska's Cook Inlet beluga whales are a unique group of white whales whose numbers have dramatically declined in the past two decades due to pressures ranging from pollution to increased ship traffic. Governor Palin opposes the listing of the Cook Inlet beluga whales, citing the listing as a threat to oil and gas development, despite their genetic uniqueness and the fact that their numbers have decreased from 1,300 in the 1980s to about 350 today.

Drilling

Palin is a strong supporter of drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, a vital wilderness area. It is home to hundreds of thousands of caribou who use the refuge as a calving ground, more than one million migratory birds, and countless other wildlife. It's the most important onshore denning habitat for female polar bears. Senator McCain himself has repeatedly voted to protect this pristine wilderness area. Palin is also a supporter of drilling in Bristol Bay and other offshore sites despite the risks to sensitive marine wildlife in the area, including the endangered polar bear and Beluga whale.
Clean Water and Pebble Mine

Governor Palin actively campaigned against a state ballot measure this summer aimed at protecting Alaska's Bristol Bay. The mining industry seeks to develop a gold and copper mine in the area that would pollute the Bay's headwaters and threaten the spawning grounds for the largest remaining wild salmon run. The initiative would have prevented large-scale mining operations from dumping waste materials into salmon watersheds.

MrMischief
Sat Sep 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I follow the 3-S rule when it comes to wolves.
Shoot
Shovel
Shut up
Although with their new tags, it's really better to toss 'em into the nearest river so they keep moving until the hang up on something downstream. Helps throw the rangers off your tracks.

longrider
Sat Sep 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Shoot
Shovel
Shut up
Although with their new tags, it's really better to toss 'em into the nearest river so they keep moving until the hang up on something downstream. Helps throw the rangers off your tracks.
I can't believe you said that :mad::mad: I better not say any more...:(

The Black Knight
Sat Sep 6th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Even for myself a staunch Republican and Conservative, Lifetime NRA member. I disagree with taking the Wolf off the endangered species list.

It's a stance that I take in that I believe it speaks volumes about mankind and our ignorance when we have come close to or completely wiped out a specific breed or species of animal.

I think the wolves have always been a target for the trigger happy ranchers and hunters. Ever since the 1800's people have killed wolves from every corner of our country. It's sad that we have to put any animal on a endangered species list, because of foolish and stupid people.

I've never understood trophy hunters and don't hold them in very high regard(if any). I've never understood killing an animal just to have it's skin. If you're going to kill an animal, then it should be for the right reason(i.e. food for you and your family or survival). Taking life just to take life is vain and arrogant.

As far as hybrids go, I love them. Known several people with hybrids and they are some of the biggest babies you can find. Do I think they should be allowed in cities? Probably not, and not because of what they are(being a wolf) but because of their rather instinctive sense of getting into mischief and overdeveloped energy levels. They do like to make a mess of things(mainly backyards). As far as people having them outside of cities(rural areas, mountain communities) I say let people have them.

Wolves are not inherently evil beasts whom roam the countryside seeking fresh ranchers cattle to devour. Sure it happens that wolf packs take down cattle. But I think some of these greedy ranchers just need to suck it up and realize that's the nature of the beast when you're in the cattle business. You'll lose some, regardless if it's wolves or sickness.

MrMischief
Sun Sep 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Wolves are typically shot because they are a menace. Same reason you shoot a coyote on site. Hell if my Jack Russell started interfering with someone's livelihood I would expect him to be killed.

Player 2
Thu Sep 25th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Wow, Palin is a wolf lover :| (https://secure.defenders.org/site/Donation2?idb=0&df_id=1547&1547.donation=form1&autologin=true&s_src=6JY08WDC4F&s_subsrc=6JY08WDC4F_EJI08D4b&JServSessionIdr001=l8c9whq9q4.app23a)

Badhabit
Thu Sep 25th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Wolves are typically shot because they are a menace. Same reason you shoot a coyote on site. Hell if my Jack Russell started interfering with someone's livelihood I would expect him to be killed.

Wow, who is the menace to who? Where do you live? I think you might be a threat to my livelihood. ASS.

hcr25
Thu Sep 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Almost every breed of dog around today is some sort of hybrid. Usually the bottom line is if the owner is a mean asshole the dog will be the same way.

I also agree about going to a rescue and adopting, thats where our next Doberman is coming from.

Mae
Thu Sep 25th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Wolf/dog hybrids are just as "dangerous" as a pit, rottie or german shepard.
Its about their raising. EVERY dog has it in their blood to be wild. Thats why you see the dominant dogs on that damn show "Its me or the dog" they revert to their instincts when left to their own devices. But dogs can be trained on conditioned. Same with wolf hybrids.
We had one when I was a kid that saved my sis from the rattlers several times. They are wonderful pets.

LOVE the pic of you and your wolfy.

I actually became more involved with this election BECAUSE of Palin.
I am a member of Defenders of Wildlife. I remember getting the petition to send to the Governor of Alaska re: the Helicopter hunting of wolves. I signed it and sent it and I didnt even think to look at the name. I didnt care. It didnt matter to me.
So when I saw a small quip in an article about Palin being a wolf killer I researched it and come to find SHE was the Governor trying to pass that shit! So I was like HELL NO! OVER MY DEAD BODY!
I decided to get more informed about our canidates overall though rather than vote against her solely because of her wolf hatered. Altho I still dont see anything about McCain or Palin that I can completely say I am for. Same for Obama or Biden. I cant wait till the debates.

And as for wolves being a menace I will say this.
I am all for hunting.
I am all for population control of ANY animal.
I am for killing of any animal that threatens livestock or humans.
Wolves are endangered and although yes they are thriving well in Alaska, They are still endangered.
If Palin wants to work on the population control of the wolves then relocate them to some of the national parks all over the USA. Dont hunt them down and DONT fucking reward people for killing an endangered animal that isnt endangering anything! AND dont hunt unfairly!!!!
Im sorry..chasing down ANY animal by helicopter until it is too weak and tired to run any longer and then shooting it down?! thats fucking being a coward right there.

I have a few passions but wolves are one of em.

mclarke
Fri Sep 26th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Wolf hybrids are fine by me! Jon's "Dangerous" wolf mix had a hell of a lot of fun playing with my doggy!

Player 2
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.eyeonpalin.com/

(March 18, 2009) The Palin administration considerably escalated its aerial wolf killing spree this past weekend, with full details only becoming clear in the hours after the killing initiated. At least 58 wolves have been killed in the Upper Yukon/Tanana area of Alaska over the past 4 days by Alaska Department of Fish and Game staff, which indicates that their target of approximately 250 wolves will be easily met.
http://www.eyeonpalin.com/news/press_releases/031809.php

The Black Knight
Mon Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
http://www.eyeonpalin.com/

Hmmm, I don't understand what's her deal with killing Wolves. This is something I will always break away from with the hunting crowd. I get shooting a few that may be causing a problem or are sick. But I've never understood mankind killing something just to kill it.

I've always been against removing any animal that has been put on the endangered species list, off of that list. They are on it for a reason. It's like the Bald Eagle, they removed it but it always enjoys the luxury of if you get caught shooting one, it's a nice federal fine(as it's our Nations bird).

I think it's a huge testament of a failure in mankind's history and a blemish that can't be removed forever, when we manage to exterminate any species of animal. It's a pretty grotesque and appalling act if you ask me.

I'm not against hunting and I love to eat meat. But a line must be drawn when it comes to the survival of a specific animal. I just feel we'll have to answer for it one day, when it comes to killing off a certain line of animal. It just ain't cool with me....

MAZIN
Tue Mar 24th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Shoot
Shovel
Shut up

I follow the 2-s rule when it comes to annoying jack-assed people that want their post count to grow so they can compinsate for....well you know.

Shoot & shut-up, no shovel needed I have land out east with plenty of coyotes to feed.

BTW had a wolf husky mix, she was awesome I miss her very much.