PDA

View Full Version : Faster Motorsports

Raptor
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
This experience with them has been a nightmare. Back around May 22, I brought my '03 VTR1000f (w/ less than 3,000 miles) to Faster to fix it aftr it had been knocked over in a parking lot. Both of my cans were damaged so I decided to upgrade them, have the jet kit and K&N filter installed, and then have it dyno-tuned.

I was initially told it would be a three week wait. Over a month later, I got the call saying it was ready.
Picked it up and it seemed okay for the first 50 miles or so and then performance went steadily downhill, in a hurry. From there, it wouldn't idle right, long after it was warmed up, was surging all over the RPM range, was popping like crazy etc.. I called them and was told to bring it back in. I did so and on the way there, It was a straight freeway shot up there and the bike seemed to have been improving a little. I got there and told them it might be doing better so we agreed it was possibly bad gasoline from it sitting in their shop for several weeks. Sounded reasonable and I was ready to refill anyway so we all decided I'd fill her up with fresh 91 octane and see how it did then. Not 2 miles from there, it started running like total crap again and dying anytime I had to stop. Once I got on the freeway, I thought it would at least get me to my home exit but it died at least three times...on the freeway, at 60 MPH+.
Called them the next morning to tell them and they told me to bring it in again. I told them I would be in that day.
I brought it to them at about 1:30 so I wouldn't be in stop and go freeway traffic with a bike that won't run in those conditions.
I got there about 1:30 and was told that the mechanic who would look at it was at lunch but he'd get it looked at when he got back. I told them I would wait until he got back since I had some time to kill.
After an hour or so, they still had no word so I walked to the store and back to kill some more time. I got back after a 2 mile hike and still no word. At around 5:30, I was told that it wasn't going to happen today, their hands were tied and there was nothing else that could be done. This was Thursday, July 3. They were to be closed the next day (the fourth), open again Saturday so I was then told that it would be on a lift first thing Saturday.
Saturday, I hadn't heard anythign by 1:00 so I called. So far they took it for a ride that morning and could see the fuel mix wasn't right. Other than that, nothing. I was told if I didn't hear back by the end of the day, call them. By the end of the day, I hadn't heard, what was the point by then. I already knew it wasn't going to be Sunday or Monday...maybe Tuesday.
Tuesday, I call them around noon having received no word yet. I was told that the mechanic who was working on it broke a tooth and hasn't been back. They didn't want to put another mechanic on it who didn't begin the job. Not happeneing Tuesday.
Wednesday, I call after work and they say it's ready to pick up. I get down there about 5:40 or so. They bring it outside and start it. Needed to be choked a little, okay, no problem. We stand there and warm it up. Once warmed up, the idle is still noticeably choppy and there is some throttle lag. They go on to exaplain that they went into the carbs to check it all out and found nothing, but the issue wound up being an external adjustment. Then I was told that because my bike is carbed, doing these kind of upgrades (cans, filter, and jet kit) is going to cause my bike to be "a different animal". "Yes, it's jumpy, but with the airbox lid off (apparently necessary to facilitate a K&N filter) and this whole set up, that about the best you can expect." I take it home noticing throttle lag and loss of top-end power.
Thursday (yesterday), I ride in to work, taking extra special care to warm it up right. get it warmed up, sounding sick, like it's struggling to idle, RPM's surging between 900 and 1,400 at lights. Go to get lunch, same. On the way home the same. Still weak in the high range too.
I ride in this morning to be sure, beyond the shadow of doubt of the problem. It's worse. At the stop lights, it was embarassing. It sounded like a seriously neglected POS. Last three lights I had to stop at, it died and I had to restart it and hold the throttle to keep it going. This was at 190-200 degrees (the fans switch on @ 218). Before, it would hold perfect idle at 1150 from about 140 degrees up.

I have not yet called them this time but certainly plan to as soon as they open. Of course, I'll be making another trip to Faster, losing another weekend (on top of the near two months I've already lost this riding season, numerous, sweet canyon rides, bike nights etc.etc.) and taking the time to fight rush-hour again and organize a ride back home. It's very difficult at this point to be confident at all. I feel like my noobness has been exploited and a lot of the info I've been given in relation to the symptoms is strongly contradicted by the general concensus, not to mention, my own common sense.

I don't know what can be done at this point when what I've been told by Faster is that this is what I shoud expect. I only know that it's not right, I've lost a lot of good riding time, losing more and very, very tired of this song.

I have been beyond patient, haven't complained or griped at them at any given point, time after time after time, I've been complacent, despite my frustrations of week after week going by.

I'll be following this post with any relevant updates.

Gary

McVaaahhh
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I'd tell them iof they can't make it right to put all the stock shit back on and give you your money back.

Performance mods don't mean much if they make your bike run like shit.

Bummer to hear though, I've heard a lot of good things about faster.

konichd
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Take it to TFOG :)

Devaclis
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM
It sucks that I recommended them to 2 people who have had really bad experiences (you and Timmy). I had great experiences in the past (before the merger)

What the hell is going on over there? Too busy working on race bikes and neglecting other customers? I hope they can get straight. They are a bunch of really good guys.

rforsythe
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I'm really surprised, considering Bart (who works at Faster now) was the one to jet my old VTR and did a great job with it.

Raptor
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I'm surprised too. They've done work for me a couple times before with great results.

I can't state it as fact but the impression I get, and I've spent a lot of time there lately, is that Dana hit the nail on the head.

Sortarican
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I'm sorry to hear so many people having issues with Faster.
They're starting to get dealership kinda reviews from people.

Brian's comment isn't a bad option if you can't get a satisfactory resolution from them.
Put it back to stock and let Jim at TFOG do your upgrades.

If you're Jonesing for a ride you can borrow my R6 and we can hit the canyons.
(I know it's not a Honda, but you can slum it for an afternoon.)
I need to burn the carbon outta the Hardley anyway.

Raptor
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I'm sorry to hear so many people having issues with Faster.
They're starting to get dealership kinda reviews from people.

Brian's comment isn't a bad option if you can't get a satisfactory resolution from them.
Put it back to stock and let Jim at TFOG do your upgrades.

If you're Jonesing for a ride you can borrow my R6 and we can hit the canyons.
(I know it's not a Honda, but you can slum it for an afternoon.)
I need to burn the carbon outta the Hardley anyway.

LOL Wouldn't be slumming it if the bike runs like it's s'posed to. lol
Thanks brother, I might take you up on that. :cheers:

Drift
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I know this does not help your situation, but I know what you are going through. I used a shop here in the Springs when I first arrived from Europe (sea-level), I had a Yamaha YZF600R (carbs) and had a Yosh pipe installed and a Dynojet high-altitude jet kit put on and the whole thing dyno'd. After all this I was having the same symptoms you described, even had the bike die on me at speed which is very frustrating to have to pull over on the shoulder and try to restart. I was also told it could be bad gas and had even drained the tank and re-filled but the problem never seemed to go away. Not sure if maybe some bikes that have not lived at altitude their whole life just don't like it here.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, good luck with your situation and I hope you don't lose to much of the season to this.

Raptor
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Spoke with Brian. Resolution pending. Report to follow.

Gary.

brian38
Fri Jul 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Guys, want to throw out a quick post with a few notes for everyone.

First off I apologize for the difficulties Raptor is experiencing. I hope everyone understands that we are human, make mistakes and unfortunately fall short as appears in this case. Also understand that I take this business, our customers and our reputation personally. We will do what it takes to make it right.

Secondly, yes we are busy and experiencing growing pains. We have been understaffed and have taken steps to correct the problems. Hopefully everyone can be patient with us as we try to dredge our way out of the backlog. Too busy with race bikes and neglect our other customers? No, just busy and customers are suffering unfortunately. We realize this has been a problem and are working hard to make it better for all of our customers. Street riders and racers alike. Hopefully we can serve everyones needs appropriately.

Finally, I want to encourage everyone that has a problem with us or any shop to try to resolve it with the shop. I appreciate Raptor calling even as I was trying to call him at the same time. If we have any other customers who have had or are having difficulties I would appreciate a call. I would like to try to take care of them if possible. 303-825-0975

Thanks!
Brian D
Fastermotosports

jspettel
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Hey Raptor,

I to have had very bad experiences with shops around town with Faster being one of the current ones. I have found one truth when referring to bike shops which is they take their god damed time to get shit done, if they say they will call you ...they wont, sometimes the bike comes back worse off than it was when it went in, and they are SLOW as SNOT! I just got my motor block back from Faster about 7 months after I dropped it off...it is fricking machine work what the hell takes so long. I refuse to let any bike shop work on my bike anymore and do it all myself.

Anyway about your problem. I had some of the same symptoms a while back on my GSXR. What it turned out being was the stator was grounding out on the inside of the cover and my regulator was fried. Since it would die I thought it to be the battery; which fixed the symptoms for a few days, but it was not the fix. It took me a while to find the problem but after some research I found that the stator and the regulator were bad.
Try pulling the stator cover..make sure the coil ain't loose and check amperages, then find your regulator and check the amperages. You might see damage right away or maybe something is wrong with the amp numbers.

Hope this helps. :cussing:

brian38
Tue Jul 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Wanted to do a quick follow up on Gary's (Raptors) issues and concerns with Faster.

We got the bike back in and checked it over. Unfortunately we found that we were totally at fault. After he brought it back we found and fixed one problem but caused another. The motor has 2 choke cables off of a splitter and one of them got in a bind due to of all things human error.

Yes for those of you asking it was our error :(.

At this point all seems well and we have had multiple guys road test the vehicle. The ultimate judge is Gary. Sometimes when you get these multiple issues it can be a bear to work thru.

Again, our apologies to Gary. Thanks for the opportunity to make it right.

Brian
Faster Motosports

Devaclis
Tue Jul 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Good on ya :) Thanks to you guys for making things right :)

MetaLord 9
Tue Jul 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks for being open about it to him and to the rest of the club, Brian!

~Barn~
Tue Jul 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Ups and downs happen in the "service" world, but being forthright never goes out of style. It's why you guys at Faster/TK have always pretty much had a consensus "thumbs up" from the motorcycling community.

Gary's about as stand-up a guy as I know, and I'm sure he didn't like having to put the screws to anybody over there, but in the end it sounds like he will be satisfied, and hopefully the headache for him, hasn't cost a future customer. Either way, good on you Brian (and crew), for doing what you needed to get to the bottom of it all.

Raptor
Tue Jul 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm sure he didn't like having to put the screws to anybody over there, but in the end it sounds like he will be satisfied, and hopefully the headache for him, hasn't cost a future customer. Either way, good on you Brian (and crew), for doing what you needed to get to the bottom of it all.

Thanks, Brandon. You're absolutely right. I did not voice for kicks by any means. Sometimes though, when faced with frustration, you have to speak in an empathetic forum.

Brian, I appreciate the extra steps and openness as well. Clint called me to update me on all of this and I'm anxious to get down there and check the bike out. Despite human error, it cannot be argued...you do stand by your work and you do take measures to make things right. I'll be seeing you this afternoon.

Take care.
G.

Sortarican
Tue Jul 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM
All right Gary.:up:
Now you can stop dressing up in all your gear an riding the arm of the couch during the races to get your riding yaa-yaa's.

..Brian, I appreciate the extra steps and openness as well....

I think that pretty much says what most of us are thinking.
Rare thing to see a shop both stand by their work and sincerely appologize without trying to
rationalize it by blaming suppliers, the customer, locusts, or acts of God.
Doubt there's a single person that hasn't had issues arise when reassembling a bike.
(I personally have a box of extra parts every time I work on one of mine.):oops:

By making it right you guys have renewed your outstanding reputation in my book.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Jul 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Right on! Glad to hear it working out and Kudos to Faster! for making it right with Gary.

Chilly
Wed Jul 16th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I recently went into Faster, and had my new shoes put on that I bought at another shop... Mike was the one that set me up with service, and got them done for 10$ per tire! (off bike) The other shop near County Line, wanted to charge me 28$ per tire (off bike) and the wait was 4 hours! I know big galerie type stores are busy, and the overhead must be insane to keep the lights burning, and they let you know by charging a poop load. Also, with the other shop, my Title has been stuck in "who done it land" since May. Needless to say, I wont shop at the other place ever again due to the contrary service I recieved at Faster. I digress... So, I (noob) was talking with Mike about modifications I am thinking about getting done and he offered an alternative and cheaper way to do these. He says, "Not to talk you out of spending money, but you can get these done in a manner that won't cost you so much, and have the same results..." They had me up and out of there in 20 minutes I ordered a bunch of gear from them, and it came in under most others price marks and was delivered "Faster" than I was used to. So, I guess I haven't had the problems with them, and found some friends out of the deal that will help me with learning what and how to modify the bike and do it for less money.

Devaclis
Wed Jul 16th, 2008, 08:36 AM
How's the bike Gary?

Raptor
Wed Jul 16th, 2008, 09:04 AM
How's the bike Gary?

Was just writing a follow up...

Update:
Picked up my bike yesterday afternoon. After some good chat in the showroom of them breaking down all the details of what was done, they wheeled the bike out. I hopped on and first thing I noticed was the idle was smooth as glass. Headed out and kept things mellow until the bike was good and warm. I rapped her out a couple times and the pick up was exactly what I would expect for the work that was done. The upgrades are now apparent. When engine braking, even down from high RPM's, no obnoxious popping, just a mean-ass growl on the decel.

This morning:
Started her up with the choke on, which is pretty much standard for Superhawks. After about 30 or 40 seconds of choke, she was rumbling like a beast, spot on at 1100. The ride to work had me grinning like the Cheshire cat the entire way. I'm totally in love with my SH again.

Although I got a bad run of odds as far as the human error factor, which happens to any business, these guys have demonstrated that they give a damn about their customers, and business. If somethign ain't right, they fix it completely.

Thanks Brian, Clint and the rest of the Faster crew. You've made it right. :up:

Devaclis
Wed Jul 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Saweet!!!!

Jason ON
Wed Jul 16th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Although I got a bad run of odds as far as the human error factor, which happens to any business, these guys have demonstrated that they give a damn about their customers, and business. If somethign ain't right, they fix it completely.

Thanks Brian, Clint and the rest of the Faster crew. You've made it right. :up:

And that's all that really matters. Hopefully, however, you were compensated in some way for the missing month of riding.

Raptor
Thu Jul 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
And that's all that really matters. Hopefully, however, you were compensated in some way for the missing month of riding.

Yep, they included a little something extra to further amend things. Day 2 and still running like a dream.

G.

t_jolt
Thu Jul 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Gary when we going for a ride?

Raptor
Fri Jul 18th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Gary when we going for a ride?

I'll PM ya.