PDA

View Full Version : Hand on the brake lever while riding????

Sortarican
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM
So I've heard for years that in the MSF, and other classes, riders are trained not to rest their hand/fingers on the front brake lever while riding.

So who else besides me routinely rides with at least a couple fingers resting on the brake?

Post up your personal reason why or why not.
(Class instructors opinions especially wanted.)

MetaLord 9
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
two on the clutch, two on the brake. Far more likely to find myself in a situation requiring a quick reduction of speed than I am to come across a situation that will make me accidentally nab the lever. Two fingers b/c it's enough to mitigate the initial "OH SHIT!!" shock reaction of grabbing the breaks and still be able to brake harder without having all four fingers grab and give me too much brake initially and pull up the back end. I've already been in situations were having my hand on the brake lever saved my ass 'cause if I'd had to move my fingers from the grip to the lever I'd have gone the extra 5 or so feet into the car in front of me

McVaaahhh
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM
two on the clutch, two on the brake. Far more likely to find myself in a situation requiring a quick reduction of speed than I am to come across a situation that will make me accidentally nab the lever. Two fingers b/c it's enough to mitigate the initial "OH SHIT!!" shock reaction of grabbing the breaks and still be able to brake harder without having all four fingers grab and give me too much brake initially and pull up the back end. I've already been in situations were having my hand on the brake lever saved my ass 'cause if I'd had to move my fingers from the grip to the lever I'd have gone the extra 5 or so feet into the car in front of me

You mean you can't stop with just two fingers? :slappers: :D

I'll cover the break when I'm in traffic, or where there's a lot of intersections and a higher risk of needing to stop quickly. Otherwise I don't find it very comfortable to have my two fingers on the brake all the time.

Spiderman
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I don't know that I'd preach that it's a bad habit to get into. I just don't do it. That's how I roll! 8)

MetaLord 9
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 12:13 PM

two on the brake...Two fingers b/c it's enough to mitigate the initial "OH SHIT!!" shock reaction of grabbing the breaks and still be able to brake harder without having all four fingers grab and give me too much brake initially and pull up the back end.

how's the reading treat'n ya?:doublefinger:

asp_125
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I cover the brake if it's slow speed and sudden braking might be needed, like mall parking lots or grid lock traffic.

dirkterrell
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I'll cover the brake when I'm in traffic, or where there's a lot of intersections and a higher risk of needing to stop quickly.

Same here. Two on the clutch, one on the brake when in traffic.

Dirk

daemon
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
ditto!!!

I cover the brake if it's slow speed and sudden braking might be needed, like mall parking lots or grid lock traffic.

I'll cover the break when I'm in traffic, or where there's a lot of intersections and a higher risk of needing to stop quickly. Otherwise I don't find it very comfortable to have my two fingers on the brake all the time.

Same here. Two on the clutch, one on the brake when in traffic.

Dirk

McVaaahhh
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM
how's the reading treat'n ya?:doublefinger:

It read like you normally would choose to use all four on the lever, rather than just two. :alien:

Tipys
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Im sure I do it too in parking lots but otherwise it just seems like a bad idea to me to keep them on it the whole time

Mother Goose
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 01:08 PM
2 covering the clutch, 1 covering the brake at all times. Unless I'm on the track, then I'm only on the brake when needed.

Bueller
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Never know when you might need to pull up a stoppie to impress the bitches, so cover that fucker.;)

Aracheon
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM
It's a habit, I always ride with my index finger covering the brake.

Rednarb
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM

What he said.

salsashark
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Back in the way way back... when I took the MSF course at Stapleton Air Port, they taught to keep your controls covered. I got used to it and have never really deviated.

ihavealegohead
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 02:01 PM
The only time I cover the break is when I'm going to use it. My first move will be a jolt R or L -- lots of time left to get to the break.

In the case of an emergency stop I don't feel I'm going to lose much in terms of distance for the fraction of a second it takes to grab the brake.

The way I look at it, if a Mini-Van can out break me how much luck do I need to have?

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Sometimes here...Depends on traffic and the road I'm riding.

Oh, and also depends on whether I'm following Sully and might need to pull over for some reason.

http://www.georgehernandez.com/h/xComputers/Communicating/eSpeak/Media/y6/05.gif

:D

Devaclis
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I use 100% rear brake. Front brakes are for squids

Tipys
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 02:37 PM
oh thats why they dont where gloves and only flip flops. Better grip without gloves and if they dont use the rearsets as other then a foot rest they dont need to where boots

YZFRydn
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Always have two covering the clutch because I am used to fanning the clutch a lot when riding my dirt bike out in the desert hills. I'll ride with some covering the brake if I am in traffic or there are spots for a car to dart out or turn in front of me. Otherwise I have nothing covering them.

Sortarican
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Do they still smack you on the knuckles with a ruler for resting on the lever in the MSF class?

Devaclis
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM
They do get on you for braking with 2 fingers. They do not want you covering the brake but they want on covering the clutch at all times.

Sortarican
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 03:47 PM
.. they want on covering the clutch at all times.

What's a clutch?

MetaLord 9
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I got smacked on the knuckles for covering with two fingers instead of four

ChrisCBX
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Do they still smack you on the knuckles with a ruler for resting on the lever in the MSF class?

I can still remember the MSF class that I attended. The instructor had the class simulate a clutch lever by using your index finger and thumb as the "clutch". They then had the class practice using the clutch smoothly. One student was told he was releasing the clutch too fast and he said that his clutch was getting "tired".:lol:

ChrisCBX
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I rest my index finger on the brake at all times in city riding and areas where a quick stop might be needed.

Oldgreen
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Two fingers on the front brake at all times, just seems natural now. It was advocated by Reg Pridmore in his book Smooth Riding.

Horsman
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I thought a Slipper Clutch was when I was wearing my slippers? Here is my state-of-the-art braking system ...
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/4Horsman/DSC000061.jpg

But seriously, I think I always have 2 fingers on the Clutch...

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I've always ridden with two on the clutch and one on the brake. On the street they're always covered.

When I raced, never covered except on the warm-up lap. Just in case someone did something stupid...

FZRguy
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
In the case of an emergency stop I don't feel I'm going to lose much in terms of distance for the fraction of a second it takes to grab the brake.

If you grap at the front brake in an emergency, the wheel will lock up and put you on your ass in an instant. If you cover the lever, you will instinctively load the front tire and get full braking while keeping it on two wheels. I cover with one or two fingers at all times.

King Nothing
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I can ride my bike with no handlebars.

Sweetie Pie
Mon Jul 14th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I can ride my bike with no handlebars.

Don't lie, you don't ride! :lol:

MrMischief
Tue Jul 15th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I voted "What's a brake?" because of the limited options. I do not typically cover my brakes, but not because I believe it is a bad habit. I just don't do it, that's how I roll. What I remember from my MSF course was that they did not want you covering the front brake on their course because a true newbie might panic and grab the brake. They did say it was a good habit to cover your brake if you were comfortable riding that way, and they did require that the clutch was covered. Now I only cover the brakes when I perceive a danger (heavy traffic, residential where kids are playing, etc).

arata954
Tue Jul 15th, 2008, 07:52 AM
The only time I cover the break is when I'm going to use it. My first move will be a jolt R or L -- lots of time left to get to the break.

they're taking about a real bike, not playstaion :P (j/k)

i cover with 2 fingers when im in traffic or going slow for the brake and clutch

tarded400
Thu Jul 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM

The way I look at it, if a Mini-Van can out break me how much luck do I need to have?

I am think a minivan could stop faster than you, unless you're on a cruiser. I always thought I could too until I thought about the fact that a sport bike brake, when properly applied, has FAR more power than it takes to raise the back wheel, at which point your available braking power is less.

ihavealegohead
Thu Jul 17th, 2008, 12:54 PM
If you grap at the front brake in an emergency, the wheel will lock up and put you on your ass in an instant. If you cover the lever, you will instinctively load the front tire and get full braking while keeping it on two wheels. I cover with one or two fingers at all times.

That might be. I've only had one emergency stop in 20 years and that was a few months back. I did hit it hard enough for the back to come up a bit, didn't go over, though it was interesting for a few feet on just the front end.

I had to swerve around broken car parts, and when I checked my ass I saw a big ford truck heading my way, so that might have helped. I had a little panic at first but was more worried about running shit over or getting pegged from the rear.

I suppose if you panic enough does it matter what you have on the break? Most of the bikes we ride one finger can lock up the front ..

mayhem
Thu Jul 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM
dont cover either unless i'm in traffic, or doin 120 in the canyons. then i'll have 1 finger on the front brake.............brakes are just a means to express fear................

64BonnieLass
Thu Jul 17th, 2008, 02:45 PM
...taught to keep your controls covered. I got used to it and have never really deviated.

Ditto. I'm 2 and 2. Habit has been formed.

JarSTriple
Tue Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
In my opinion, it is a bad idea to cover the front brake at all. If you are a new rider or you haven't been taught the basics, you will tend to panic in situations that are unfamiliar and will do what your finite thinking brain will tell you to do in a panic situation: STOP THE BIKE! I have had two crashes early in my riding days that could have easily been avoided had I relied more on evasive maneuvering over grabbing the front brake and eating the pavement.

That's just my opinion though. That and $4.00 will get you a gallon of gas.

txrc51fatboy
Tue Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
2 fingers on brake 2 fingers on clutch all the time

konichd
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
In my opinion, it is a bad idea to cover the front brake at all. If you are a new rider or you haven't been taught the basics, you will tend to panic in situations that are unfamiliar and will do what your finite thinking brain will tell you to do in a panic situation: STOP THE BIKE! I have had two crashes early in my riding days that could have easily been avoided had I relied more on evasive maneuvering over grabbing the front brake and eating the pavement.

That's just my opinion though. That and $4.00 will get you a gallon of gas.

Agree 100%, people panic and grab the brake harsly and bad things happen. I never cover my levers for the most part, only in heavy in-town traffic, but I never ride in town that much.

Chilly
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
I cover in traffuk, and that is about it... Otherwise I get trigger happy and pull stoppies to impress the house wives with six kids on Highlands Ranch Parkway... Pimpin? It aint easy.

mayhem
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
and it's kinda hard to go full throttle with 2 fingers on the front brake......:shocked:

ghostrider_9
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
I am not certain what MSF course you guys took, but, as an MSF instructor, I know that I coach my riders not to cover the front brake. "Either use it or put it away." The main concern is that in a panick situation it is easier to over react and grab the front brake rather than use it correctly. Every instructor that I know coaches this same theory for the same reason.

Now, the corralary to this is that if I am riding slow and expecting to use it, like in a parking lot, I will cover the brake, but that is more of a preparation for use, not general riding and covering the brake.

tarded400
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
My thoughts are... if you panic and grab the front brake, you're going down. If you panic and aren't near the front brake, you plow into the back of whatever it was you were trying to avoid. If you do cover, and don't panic, you have lots of options. Its just better to never panic. If you do, it seems like a lose/lose situation. You over brake or you don't brake at all. If you do panic, you're probably not going to be able to swerve or whatever well enough to avoid it either.

Sortarican
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Kinda along the lines of T400.

If you're resting a couple fingers on the brake and have to emergency stop I think you'd do it in a more controlled manner
than if you're reaching for a fistful of brake all at once in a panic.

I learned to ride on dirt. (Western PA, lots of thick woods.)
If you didn't cover your brake when running at speed, and you came around a turn to find a tree, hiker, parked rider, black bear,
whitetail, or whatever in the middle of the trail, you wouldn't have time to find the brake.
Guess I just transfered the habit over to my road riding.

pilot
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
[quote=ghostrider_9;331512...as an MSF instructor, I know that I coach my riders not to cover the front brake. "Either use it or put it away." The main concern is that in a panick situation it is easier to over react and grab the front brake rather than use it correctly. Every instructor that I know coaches this same theory for the same reason.[/quote]+1 while instructing on the BRC.

For Total Control we instruct in trail braking--applying the brake at the same time as the throttle.

Covering the brake reduces braking reaction time, in 10ths, if not 100ths of a second. Having that "touch" on the brake reduces pinching the front end.

Playing mix and match from street to track is a sure fire way to disaster. In a tough situation a rider will revert to what they do most of the time.

What we practice we make muscle memory and thus habit. What we make habit is what we will do in an emergency. In an emergency we don't have time to "think" it out. That's where training (lots of it) pays off.

FZRguy
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
I agree with Jeff, if I don’t cover I tend to grab too much brake if I need to stop in a hurry. That what works for me...go with what works for you.

ghostrider_9
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
+1 while instructing on the BRC.

For Total Control we instruct in trail braking--applying the brake at the same time as the throttle.

Covering the brake reduces braking reaction time, in 10ths, if not 100ths of a second. Having that "touch" on the brake reduces pinching the front end.

Playing mix and match from street to track is a sure fire way to disaster. In a tough situation a rider will revert to what they do most of the time.

What we practice we make muscle memory and thus habit. What we make habit is what we will do in an emergency. In an emergency we don't have time to "think" it out. That's where training (lots of it) pays off.

I can see that. I guess the bottom line is doing what you are comfortable with. The ulimate issue here is whether or not you panic when something happens.

PharmerKyle
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM
If you're resting a couple fingers on the brake and have to emergency stop I think you'd do it in a more controlled manner
than if you're reaching for a fistful of brake all at once in a panic.

I don't know why, but some words of wisdom flashed when I read this.

"I will do it left-handed. I cannot be satisfied with the right hand. It is over too quickly."- Inigo Montoya