PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Season

slayermd
Thu Jul 17th, 2008, 11:54 PM
So with very little thought, I have decided that I would like to join the MRA for the 2009 season. I understand the application process (or at least I'm getting there, lol), the gear etc. But, I don't know what bike would be good for me to start racing on and what class that would put me in. I have time to look for a race ready machine so I'm in no hurry.

So any advice on the bike, MRA or anything I should know before hand would be great.

Thanks.

Player 2
Fri Jul 18th, 2008, 12:05 AM
So with very little thought, I have decided that I would like to join the MRA for the 2009 season. I understand the application process (or at least I'm getting there, lol), the gear etc. But, I don't know what bike would be good for me to start racing on and what class that would put me in. I have time to look for a race ready machine so I'm in no hurry.

So any advice on the bike, MRA or anything I should know before hand would be great.

Thanks.
Yeah, set aside $1k per race weekend... :up:

cromer611
Fri Jul 18th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Yeah, set aside $1k per race weekend... :up:

:crazy::shocked: 1k? dude, I get by on 500 tops, thats tires gas entry fees.(2 classes)
pack a lunch for you and whomever. If your just tryin to get into racing with hardly and track time, I suggest (600cc) Nov U and Nov 0, and sportsman class. entry fees will put you at 220+- for those three.

Tires, talk to Mark S. with the Vanmar team. awesome guy and Im sure his wife tammy would set you up with a sponsorship. A nice Set of DOT Race tires will last you atleast 2 race weekends for your first year.

got any questions PM me dooooood

Player 2
Fri Jul 18th, 2008, 04:54 AM

rybo
Fri Jul 18th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Congrats on deciding to do this. It's a big choice and no matter how you look at it, it's pretty expensive. There are a couple of ways you can go, and I have a strong preference for one of them, but that doesn't mean it's right.

1) The Traditional MRA Plan - Get a good used 600. 03-05, fuel injected, already prepped etc. These bikes are capable of top 5 finishes in the novice classes for sure. It gets you into a lot of classes, uses common size tires, so you may be able to get away with good take offs from one of the more elite racers for a season or so and is by far the most abundant type of bike at the track. Race in both Novice and both Amateur classes along with middleweight endurance.

2) The lightweight plan - Find a race prepped SV or EX 650. They are a little harder to come by in the MRA but a lot of other race orgs have strong lightweight classes and bikes are available. You can still race in all of the classes listed above if you want, and do lightweight endurance too if you want. If you are riding well (meaning not nec. winning races, but being a safe good rider) the MRA may let you also race in a couple of expert classes, Supertwins U and O. These are smaller grids, giving you the chance for higher finishes (good for the ego). Also, these bikes are easier on tires and fuel. Finally making the slow bike go fast is way way more challenging than making the fast bike go slow. I'm pretty sure you'll be a better rider for having done it.

Hope that helps

Scott

BlueDevil
Fri Jul 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Sweet... Welcome.. Hope it works out for you.... I will say there is many ways you can go about it... U need to 1s tdecide what your skills will allow you to compete at what level... I never assume a newbie is slow.. Hell we have Novices running top 10 expert times.. so

U know inside you if you have it or not to race up front or more as a fun hobby.... Racing is not expensive...winning is... Ive heard that many times and after 5 years of racing.. Its true... If you want to win, you have to be willing to spend what ever it takes to keep you up front.... my 1st year I raced part time and got my feet wet.. My second year I had enough in me that I felt I could go for a championship....
12K later.. got it.... It was harder than I ever thought it would be, and there is always someone willing to snag it away at the miss of 1 corner... haha None the less, decide 1st at what level your skills will allow you to race and how much you are willing to spend to do it....

Next.. for the love of gawd.. dont prep your own bike... It will not only put you in debt.. it takes a long time.. If you got the moola, and the time.. go for it.. Nothing like a spankin new race bike you built with your own hands... If not, buy a used race bike already prepped, change a few things to suit your style and needs, and race it... so much easier to let someone else do the manual labor...
(Pathetic plug) My 06 R6 will be forsale at the last race of this year... :o)

Anyway... To run up front in Novice I was spending nearly 1K a race weekend... but if you can run up front you will make enough moola to get some of that cost back... I podiumed in every Nov U and almost every Nov O race plus some AM U as well... This made me ~4K in contingency money so I had tires paid for almost all year and half the next year... so it CAN pay you back... but a simple 4th or lower will put asking Visa for permission to buy new tires every weekend.....

None the less, you can budget race and still do very well... I buget raced last year and did well and even ended up with top 5 plaques in both AMU and O classes.... spent about $500 ish a weekend, pump gas, staying at the track, car pooling, and ooo most importantly.. no crashes... :o)

Can you run 1 set of tires more than 1 weekend... Yup... Ill have to admit... I have ran a set for 3 weekends once... granted they get pretty slippery and my lap times showed it, but it allowed me to run every weekend instead of only some... If you are on a budget... U need to get on Bridgies (Talk to Faster).. Not only can they run up front but are about $100 bucks a set cheeper than all the other brands (give or take)... but different tires fit different styles of riding.. U have to ride what you feel fits you and your bike the best... Ive ridden only 600's for 5 years and have been on Bridgies the entire time (though Ive tested all brands).. Bridgie works for me, and Im sticking with them as long as they will have me....

As far as what to buy and what to race. A 600 (or SV650) will allow you to have lots of options on what classes to race… You can run
Nov U
Nov O
Am U
AM O
Sportsman (if you're below the cut off time )
And Any Endurance class Middle weight or higher

If you run a 750 or higher… U can only run
Nov O
AM O
Sportsman
And Heavy or Open Endurance)

Ive had 2 team mates run open class bikes in Novice years and spent most the day sitting around waiting for a class they could run.. mean while 600 had already had 3 races…… totally up to you and what suits your riding style….

Hope this helps a lot.. its just from my own personal experience… but hopefully it gives a good perspective you can make some valuable decisions on….

-PUCK-
Sat Jul 19th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Good decision bro, there is nothing like it. If you haven't already, get on to the MRA site:
www.mra-racing.org
and check out the forums there. Specifically the New Racer Q & A area. Great source of info. :up:

rforsythe
Sat Jul 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I don't think Scott emphasized enough how easy an SV650 is on tires... You could probably get by on two sets for the season.

Buddau
Sun Jul 20th, 2008, 09:15 PM
+1 on what Bluedevil said.
The main question here is...Do you want to be in the top 5 or just race?
Personally I would get a pre-raced 600cc sport bike and enter both novice classes, both ameture classes, and the sportsman class, all over again.

If you want to be competetive, get a race preped 600cc R6, GSXR, CBR, etc, race bike. If you just want to race and have a good time, get a EX650 or SV650. I would stay away from the 750's or 1000's unless it's a twin.

Another tip is the MRA is a great big family. Everyone is there to have a good time and anyone will help you go faster if you, just ask. Walk around the pits, introduce yourself, ask questions, look at who is racing what and see for yourself how they are doing.
$500 is a minimum a weekend for racing.

dragos13
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
+1 on getting a 600cc. About twice the racing opportunity. Here is what I did my first season:

2007 Season
Bike: purchased a race prepped former MRA 1999 Yamaha R6
Classes: Novice GTU and GTO, Amateur GTU and GTO, also middleweight endurance.
Race weekend: $500-$1000 depending on how fast you wanna be. To be in the top 5, you will most likely be buying new rubber every weekend, running VP race fuel, fresh brake pads and fluids, then hotel and entry fees. Figure its closer to a grand to be a top 5 Novice. Im sure you can do it cheaper, but good luck.

I would say look for an 03-04 R6. That is what I'm racing this year and there is plenty of power to run in the 35's at Pueblo. It'll be good enough to stay at the front of the pack, while not relying completely on being able to outpower the guy next to you.

I would also suggest, if possible, to get everything ready and try out a race at the end of this season. One reason, it will help get your feet wet and you will be way less nervous come next year. Another reason, is that you will get points and be gridded above all new novices that join fresh in 09. Join up on the MRA website, start coming to the general meetings, and be ready to enjoy a sportbike the way it should be enjoyed.

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions, or look me up at the MRA races. Young Blood Racing, you can find us under the Monster Energy canopies. Welcome to the addiction!!!

BlueDevil
Fri Jul 25th, 2008, 06:03 AM
If memory serves.. we have had a 99 R6 in the 31's......

Filo
Fri Jul 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can give you the same experience. Every weekend, you come by my house, pay me $500, and I'll get Louie and his "family" to rough you up a bit. Some weeks I will have them rough you up more (to simulate falling off). If it is the competition thing you are looking for, I let you start running away from Louie before he starts beating you. One weekend, I'll give you a trophy for your troubles. Even though it cost me $4.00 to purchase, you will cherish it as if it is made of solid gold. :lol:

Actually, every one has pretty good advice. I agree that a 650 twin will give you the most bang for your buck. Plus, once you figure out how to ride the wheels off, it pisses off the guys on the 1000s when you pass them. Whatever you do, definitely buy one already race prepped. I have prepped three in my life and it is a huge loss of money.

slayermd
Fri Jul 25th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys for all your insight. It put a lot of questions to rest.

With that said, I have been looking for bikes on Craigslist, here and the MRA board. Seen some sweet SV's but quite a few R6's. I'm being really patient looking at bikes, as I'm guessing there will be a title wave availble once racing season is over and the snow rolls in. That gives me time to save on change anyway.

Filo, it would only be a matter of time before I rough Louie up, lol. LOUIE IS GOING DOWN!!!

I really dont see a problem with spending 500 bucks a race weekend. Its not like it's every week either, so that hepls. And if I have the best time I have ever had on a motorbike, then thats priceless to me. Again, thanks for writing in and I'll be seeing everyone in Pueblo.

CBRSue
Mon Jul 28th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys for all your insight. It put a lot of questions to rest.

With that said, I have been looking for bikes on Craigslist, here and the MRA board. Seen some sweet SV's but quite a few R6's. I'm being really patient looking at bikes, as I'm guessing there will be a title wave availble once racing season is over and the snow rolls in. That gives me time to save on change anyway.

Filo, it would only be a matter of time before I rough Louie up, lol. LOUIE IS GOING DOWN!!!

I really dont see a problem with spending 500 bucks a race weekend. Its not like it's every week either, so that hepls. And if I have the best time I have ever had on a motorbike, then thats priceless to me. Again, thanks for writing in and I'll be seeing everyone in Pueblo.

I've seen you in the canyons, and I have no doubt you'll kick butt on the track. :) Lookin' forward to watching you out there during the '09 racing season.