PDA

View Full Version : Censorship in Shop Experiences?

JustSomeDude
Sun Jul 20th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Are angry threads being deleted from the Shop Experiences topic? If so, why? I realize some people have harsh words for certain shops - but shouldn't those comments stand as a warning to others? Anything extremely aggressive, which is usually just blatant flaming, can be interpreted as such by the average reader. But this wasn't even the nature of the post in question (which was in reference to a Denver Ducati dealer).

If anything, the shop owners themselves are more than welcome to come and dispute the claims. And we have seen shops that do have accounts, and do post on the CSC board.

Of all topics, I feel Shop Experiences should be a place that allows for the most blunt language and open discussion. If not, it begs the question: what interest do the Admins have in protecting the shops? And are they receiving some incentive by doing so?

:dunno:

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 20th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Are we living in a police state here?

I can't seem to find the Erico issue that Rapperee posted up outlining an obvious mishandling of a customer service problem. Assuming that it was posted up in the Shop Experiences section of this forum it appears to have been removed. WTF?

rybo
Sun Jul 20th, 2008, 09:58 AM
That thread was deleted at Rapperee's request. Not a police state, no censorship, unless we aren't allowed to censor ourselves.

Interesting that this comes up today because I was in both Erico and Faster! yesterday talking about the experiences our members have had there recently and how we, as a forum do NOT censor or alter the posts in the shop experiences forums. We talked about the value of that piece of the CSC and we talked about some of the benefits CSC members get at our local shops for being "members" of a free forum.

I can assure you, I get no special treatment at any shop in town. A couple places help sponsor my race effort, which is something entirely separate of my role here on the CSC. I do my best to spread my business around to as many of the shops that support our members and the site as possible.

I never have, and never will ask for a discount because I'm an admin on the site and furthermore resent that anyone would suggest that I am receiving some kind of "kickback". I do my very best to support our community and put a shit ton of my personal time into it.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM
That thread was deleted at Rapperee's request. Not a police state, no censorship, unless we aren't allowed to censor ourselves.

It's OK that the original poster deleted the original post. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with overt manipulation of the forum that might occur, for whatever reason, to possibly protect a shop from receiving the third-degree ---------- not that that happens here.

rforsythe
Sun Jul 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM
It's OK that the original poster deleted the original post. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with overt manipulation of the forum that might occur, for whatever reason, to possibly protect a shop from receiving the third-degree ---------- not that that happens here.

We don't engage in that here. Some shops have been insulted by that, but the bottom line is that forum loses all credibility and value if that goes on.

Everyone can put down the witch hunt now.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM
We don't engage in that here. Some shops have been insulted by that, but the bottom line is that forum loses all credibility and value if that goes on.

Everyone can put down the witch hunt now.

GOD HAS SPOKEN :roll:

JustSomeDude
Sun Jul 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I never have, and never will ask for a discount because I'm an admin on the site and furthermore resent that anyone would suggest that I am receiving some kind of "kickback". I do my very best to support our community and put a shit ton of my personal time into it. I'm starting to wonder if my time wouldn't be better spent elsewhere.

Rybo,

I'm sorry if you took my post as a personal attack, as it was not. I was only wondering "IF" posts WERE being censored. And if they were - how such actions could be interpreted by forum members. That is all.

I, for one, can say that I admire the work done by the Admins to keep this site up and running year round. I run numerous websites, and understand the dedication required to keep things operating smoothly. That, along with the organization of outside activities (noob rides, tune days, PMP track days, etc.), is greatly appreciated by myself, and I'm sure many many others.

I was simply voicing my frustration/confusion with the disappearance of a valuable thread, without any explanation. Thank you for clearing it up, and again, I'm sorry if you felt I was leveling attacks at you. I was not.

:cheers:

JustSomeDude
Sun Jul 20th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Since it is keeping with the "site comments" topic, I would offer the following suggestion:

Perhaps a simple note in the thread, such as "deleted upon author request", would help to avoid future misunderstandings.

:dunno:

rapparee
Mon Jul 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
I do my very best to support our community and put a shit ton of my personal time into it. I'm starting to wonder if my time wouldn't be better spent elsewhere.
Your time spent on the community is greatly appreciated and valued Scott and no, we need people like you here and not elsewhere. Thank you for your time, Gary

Jmetz
Mon Jul 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM
I personally feel those threads should not be able to be deleted by anyone. They stand as valuable information. You got your issue resolved and that's great, but I might read that thread and decide I don't want to take my business to shop x. Or I might read that thread and see that shop x stepped up and did what was needed and decide I want to take my business there.

I think it's very important to have the ability to see all issues and resolutions.

rapparee
Mon Jul 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM
I think that almost everyone knows of Ericos reputation, and my situation is not resolved yet, I decided that my reaction was not constructive and not the way I would like to be seen. You have many resources other than my one thread to go off of and a new one will be posted after the situation is finished, good or bad, once again this has to do with my reaction which is important to me.

Sortarican
Mon Jul 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM
That thread was deleted at Rapperee's request.. unless we aren't allowed to censor ourselves..

I am the Anti-Gary,
When I have an idea I have no censoring between my brain and my keyboard.
(Or was that I have no brain between an idea and my keyboard? I forget?):think:

I do my very best to support our community and put a shit ton of my personal time into it. I'm starting to wonder if my time wouldn't be better spent elsewhere.

It may not always feel like it Scott, but you are very much appreciated.
Both for what you do, and maybe more impressively, for who you are.:bow:

Besides, if you left, who amongst the Admins would keep Ralph's tyrranical reign of terror in check?

JustSomeDude
Mon Jul 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM
I think that almost everyone knows of Ericos reputation, and my situation is not resolved yet, I decided that my reaction was not constructive and not the way I would like to be seen. You have many resources other than my one thread to go off of and a new one will be posted after the situation is finished, good or bad, once again this has to do with my reaction which is important to me.

FWIW... Users are able delete specific posts, while keeping the overall thread intact. Simply click the "edit" function, and you can delete from there.

rapparee
Mon Jul 21st, 2008, 05:14 PM
That would not have taken the "suck my balls" part out now would it, I understand that some here do not like Erico, I am reserving my decision for later, but this was my choice and I really do not give a f*ck what anyone thinks of that. If you would like to start a new one then be my guest.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jul 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
I understand that it seems to be really hard for some individuals to read about nasty things that happen to others at a shop that they support. I also realize that not all customers get treated the same at all shops ----- no matter what shop you choose to do business with. Well shit happens.

It is also very apparent that it is a difficult job to accept some of the emotional post that come about from these negative experiences by supporters of said shops. However, I'm with Jmetz on this one, I believe that even if the diatribe includes incendiary attacks on these places of business, even if bordering on slanderous verbiage, these posts be kept intact. The communication plays an integral role in portraying the business in ways that are not readily apparent to prospective customers. It's information that you cannot glean from the Better Business Bureau or any other source for that matter.

Scott ----- don't take it so personally. We all still respect you for who you are and what you stand for.

JustSomeDude
Tue Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
That would not have taken the "suck my balls" part out now would it, I understand that some here do not like Erico, I am reserving my decision for later, but this was my choice and I really do not give a f*ck what anyone thinks of that. If you would like to start a new one then be my guest.

Don't insult our intelligence by pulling the "I-don't-care-what-people-think" card now. Obviously YOU DO CARE what (certain) people think (namely the shops), otherwise, you wouldn't have made the effort to have your post removed. :oops:

You go out of your way to make sure shops don't see your harsh language... but yet you make it very clear that you "do not give a fuck" what forum members think of you!? So - just to clarify: Shops important - forum members, you don't "give a fuck".

Classy approach. I'm sure you'll earn a lot of points with that mentality around here.

:crazy:

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
Don't insult our intelligence by pulling the "I-don't-care-what-people-think" card now. Obviously YOU DO CARE what (certain) people think (namely the shops), otherwise, you wouldn't have made the effort to have your post removed. :oops:

You go out of your way to make sure shops don't see your harsh language... but yet you make it very clear that you "do not give a fuck" what forum members think of you!? So - just to clarify: Shops important - forum members, you don't "give a fuck".

Classy approach. I'm sure you'll earn a lot of points with that mentality around here.

:crazy:

Cut the guy some slack. Any one of us can post up a nasty-gram in the heat of frustration. I know rapparee and he does give a fuck about many folks here on this board ------- well maybe all but one :roll:

JustSomeDude
Tue Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Cut the guy some slack. Any one of us can post up a nasty-gram in the heat of frustration. I know rapparee and he does give a fuck about many folks here on this board ------- well maybe all but one :roll:

I'm just getting irritated with some of the responses in here. Everyone is getting extremely defensive and personal about a non-personal issue. I posted a question about censorship, and got torn a new one about whether or not this forum is worthwhile to the admins. I then posted a simple suggestion about authors having the ability to delete threads, and rapparee flew off the handle, and basically told me to go fuck myself.

I'm done with the niceties if people do not have the ability to handle themselves civilly in the threads. For crying out loud... did some one piss in everyone's corn flakes this week?! CHILLAX!

:)

rybo
Tue Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
I'm just getting irritated with some of the responses in here. Everyone is getting extremely defensive and personal about a non-personal issue. I posted a question about censorship, and got torn a new one about whether or not this forum is worthwhile to the admins. -snip

-unsnip

... did some one piss in everyone's corn flakes this week?! CHILLAX!

:)

Hey Andrew,

Sorry about that, there was a bit of piss in my cheerios that morning and your comment about incentives for admins to be nice to shops really hit a nerve. I've edited my post, obviously I feel my time spent here is worthwhile otherwise I wouldn't keep doing it.

See you this weekend.

Scott

Sortarican
Tue Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
...I'm done with the niceties if people do not have the ability to handle themselves civilly in the threads....

I think you hit on it right there.

Gary was done with the niceties with Erico after his last experience and posted a thread venting that frustration.
(Complete with nads references in the title.)

Afterward he decided to take a more civil tack and since the title contained verbage that can't be changed by the standard board member he asked it be deleted.

I'm sure we'll get a post/thread from G once the whole ordeal is over with a more reflective representation of his experience.
(I'd imagine complete with more colorful anotomical references should it not be resolved soon.)

JustSomeDude
Tue Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hey Andrew,

Sorry about that, there was a bit of piss in my cheerios that morning and your comment about incentives for admins to be nice to shops really hit a nerve. I've edited my post, obviously I feel my time spent here is worthwhile otherwise I wouldn't keep doing it.

See you this weekend.

Scott

No worries Scott! I realize I could have selected better words for my original post; and how it may have been interpreted as a personal attack.

Cheers brotha!

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
You know --- when that clown owner of Erico came on my TV during the MotoGP race this weekend, I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth. All I could think about was rapparee and his seemingly shitty shop experience. The guy made Dana White look like a Boy Scout. See how this works? :twisted: