PDA

View Full Version : Okay, there are far too many of these pictures out there

Devaclis
Fri Oct 15th, 2004, 10:54 AM
http://stlsr.jwitech.com/media/uploaded/bikeownage.jpg

Anonymous
Fri Oct 15th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Far too many morons buying motorcycles, too.

The results are in and motorcycle accidents and fatalities are on the rise again. They couldn't find a reason, but just recently that Newsweek article came out about the sharp rise in motorcycle purchases, so I think that's probably the reason.

McVaaahhh
Fri Oct 15th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Far too many morons buying motorcycles, too.

The results are in and motorcycle accidents and fatalities are on the rise again. They couldn't find a reason, but just recently that Newsweek article came out about the sharp rise in motorcycle purchases, so I think that's probably the reason.

Probably has something to do with every kid that's never ridden before going out and buying a new liter-bike.

Maybe also the new trend of the Shoei Frame-slider.

Of course, I'm just guessing.

Monkey
Fri Oct 15th, 2004, 11:18 AM
I blame Biker Boyz, and that other movie.. whatever it was.

Devaclis
Fri Oct 15th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Everyone wants to be "Cool as Ice"

rybo
Fri Oct 15th, 2004, 11:30 AM
There is also a sharp rise in motorcycle purchases amongst the baby boomers. Many of these folks (my parents included) had small bikes in their younger days and in the pursuit of their careers gave up motorcycling for many years. They now are in a financial position to buy bikes and they're doing it (mostly harleys).

This group of people has one of the fastest growing segments of motorcycle accidents because many of them are relying on skills that are 20 years old on bikes that were not nearly as powerful as those made today. They don't take classes and many of them don't wear helmets, so when the accidents do happen there is more injury than there should be.

Compound that with the younger generation having greater access to machines weighing in at 400 lbs with 150+hp and the same set of problems involving helmets and skill levels and the equation ends with higher insurance costs.

We, as experienced riders who have some influance on others who see us and want to buy bikes, have some responsibility to help reverse the trend by promoting and practicing safe riding practices, advising those who seek our advice on bikes to start small and gradually increase the size and power of their bikes as their skill increases and finally by encouraging them to take classes to refine their skills and wear the necessary protective equipment.

Just like in cars, some of the accidents are the fault of others or unavoidable. I've crashed and I'm know many of the others on this list have as well. The times I've been down would have been far worse had I not been wearing gear, or had some understanding of what was happening as it happened so that I could react properly......what to do after the crash?.....see my other post regarding a first aid and CPR class that I'm running for motorcyclists!

Scott

Jmetz
Fri Oct 15th, 2004, 01:12 PM
BTW That pic is photochopped..an oldie too