PDA

View Full Version : Avoid that High side ride....

ghost-whiner
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Trying to nip this one in the bud before something bad happens. A few times as a late Ive been coming to a stop and I've been finding my back tire doing a little bit of unexpected sliding after applying the back brake after/before down shifting. Bad technique aside (Im pretty sure both brakes would be a bit preferable from what Im gathering), somewhere in the back of my brain, Im pretty sure that I'm suppose to stay on the brake as I'm sliding but I keep letting off and giving it a bit of gas and it straightens out. Mind you this is happening at lower speeds (speed limit if not close to it), usually in town and usually in reaction to a late decision to the light.

I am right this is wrong? Shouldnt I be staying on the brake to a complete stop otherwise I could catch and flip right?

Thanks (:sigh: even for the flames :D )

McVaaahhh
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Sounds like you're using the back a bit too hard too much.

How about using the front brake, especially considering about 90% of your stopping power lives there. 8)

Sortarican
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
I'll let the racers and such who are more experianced with breaking the rear loose explain how to save a highside.
I'm still working on it myself.

But if you're locking up the rear a lot, try adjusting the foot lever down a little.
Might reduce the overbraking a little.

Tipys
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
I dont know would you be able to high side at that little of an angel

Rednarb
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Use less rear break and go easier downshifting. Rely on the front break and only for rear and engine breaking to enhance slowing a little. If you're pressing moderately on the rear break and it is locking up then it needs to be adjusted.

In MSF they taught to keep it locked if you lock it until you come to a stop. Even had us practice it. IMHO that's a good technique for a beginner but with experience you can learn how to recover without it launching you on your ear.

ghost-whiner
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
You guys were great... Ill try and take some of it out there and figure out what Im doing.

Mostly Im trying to stop it before it creates a bad enough habit and causes issues down the road.

fullgrownbear
Wed Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:01 PM

sort of a high side..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mq9TmXQ0o4

:D

Jayock
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Just use the front brake. If you brake properly with the front, virtually no additional braking can be had with the rear.

There are techniques to save a highside when leaned over. When straight up and down, you shouldn't have a problem, unless you put some god awful input into the bike to get it way sideways. My suggestion, go use the rear brakes on an MX bike, and learn how to stay balanced with the rear locked. It will be easier to learn that way.

mayhem
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM
:imwithstupid:, i never touch my rear brake,, and if your sliding from downshifting, you need to blip the throttle as you downshift to match the rpm's... that will stop the rear wheel slide..........even on the track, the only guys that really use their rear brake are the fastest guy's that can back it in the corners.......my .02

Sortarican
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM

I've had bikes buck me at pretty low speed and minimal angles.
Usually won't toss you off, but definetly will get your butt puckered.

sort of a high side..:D

LOL,
Don't you love it when a dealership sprays the tires with armor-all for you?

shift shiftly
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 02:08 PM
As M.C. riders we need to be more alert than cagers always be aware of your situation and surroundings...... if your skidding to a stop you clearly are'nt thinking far enough ahead,,, we M.C. riders dont have the luxory "or curse" of being undesisive and relaxed....

every rider needs to know where the front brake is and how to use it !
Especially if your street riding and find your self in a STOP NOW SITUATION !

besides if you pull to hard on the front brake just say you practicing a stoppie J/K

Shift :drink:

jimwallace
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM
you may have an underlying issue here. typically you should brake using both front and rear. now i will use my rear brake alone when trimming speed in a corner when i get a bit too hot, but other than that i only use the rear in conjunction with the front. if you lock up the rear you will start sliding ect, but it sounds as though you are locking it up very easily, i would start by checking my brakes to see if they are grabbing for some reason, adjust brake lever if its too high, and also check your suspension, if someone did something like tighten your preload a lot more than you need your back end will be in a "ass up" position, which makes for easy turn ins but causes your rear end to be essentially "light"

mayhem
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 06:02 PM
jim, your wisdom is astounding...................

JarSTriple
Fri Jul 25th, 2008, 11:06 AM
sort of a high side..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mq9TmXQ0o4

:D

That video kills me every time I see it. :shock:

pilot
Fri Jul 25th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Practice, practice, practice and practice some more with your rear brake. If the front fails and there is no back up plan with the rear brake. Then everything fails.

Clovis
Fri Jul 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM
In normal traffic coming to a stop; ie to a stop light I equally apply the front and rear.

When riding agressivively I'll use the rear break to slow down slightly before going into a corner but you never want to be on the rear break while actually cornering.

I've had multiple occasions when I unexpectidly come to a rapid decelleration or stop where the rear tire has locked and begun to slide out - a bit scary if you're not prepared for it but as others have said keep it locked up; otherwise if you let up the tire will instantly "rehook" and if the rear is swung out, it can cause a high side depending on how far the rear is out, as it immediately returns to a straight line.

-Clovis

Jayock
Fri Jul 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM
you may have an underlying issue here. typically you should brake using both front and rear. now i will use my rear brake alone when trimming speed in a corner when i get a bit too hot, but other than that i only use the rear in conjunction with the front. if you lock up the rear you will start sliding ect, but it sounds as though you are locking it up very easily, i would start by checking my brakes to see if they are grabbing for some reason, adjust brake lever if its too high, and also check your suspension, if someone did something like tighten your preload a lot more than you need your back end will be in a "ass up" position, which makes for easy turn ins but causes your rear end to be essentially "light"

I suspect you will lose the habit of using both brakes after you are racing for a bit.

dragos13
Fri Jul 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I suspect you will loose the habit of using both brakes after you are racing for a bit.

+1, unless you like to off-road alot.

I dont think I have ever used the rear brake on the track.

Bueller
Fri Jul 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I do this all the time, but it is because I intend to. You don't need much if any rear brake for normal riding. If you are sliding or chattering the rear lay off the rear and just use engine braking and the front. You don't want to lock up the rear ever, if you do and stay on it it will cause your stagbilty to suffer and if it slides to the side far enough and then hooks back up you do risk a HS.

BTW break is what you will do to your bike and body if you HS, brakes are what stop you. :idea:

pilot
Fri Jul 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I do this all the time, but it is because I intend to. You don't need much if any rear brake for normal riding. If you are sliding or chattering the rear lay off the rear and just use engine braking and the front. You don't want to lock up the rear ever, if you do and stay on it it will cause your stagbilty to suffer and if it slides to the side far enough and then hooks back up you do risk a HS.

BTW break is what you will do to your bike and body if you HS, brakes are what stop you. :idea:Welcome to the spelling Nazi club! No one likes us hear. Plenty of shares to go around--have a seet.

prius
Wed Aug 27th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I thought front brake was too dangerous...

dragos13
Wed Aug 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM

:think:

McVaaahhh
Wed Aug 27th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Both the front and rear brakes on motorcycles are extremely dangerous.

I recommend stopping using only your feet, skateboard style. :jerkoff:

BigE
Wed Aug 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Skateboard style is unweighting the board and doing a lil' twist to bust all four wheels into sideways slide, bad juju to try on a moto fo sure!

Brakeless BMX style could work...that's just using your foot dragging on the tire.
Does go thru shoes pretty fast but if you can pull it off I'd bet DC's or someone would hook ya up! Oh, may want a knee brace sponsor also.

Now Flintstone style...now you're talking! And you can get rid of your PediEgg since it'll just buff those calluses right off!

Jim_Vess
Wed Aug 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Clearly, you need to take the MSF Beginner's Class before you end up killing yourself.

Front brakes rule - the back brake is there for decoration. :wtf:

prius
Wed Aug 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Clearly, you need to take the MSF Beginner's Class before you end up killing yourself.

Front brakes rule - the back brake is there for decoration. :wtf:

Or Pilot's Total Control Riding Clinic...

McVaaahhh
Wed Aug 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Co-Pilot?

Tipys
Wed Aug 27th, 2008, 09:30 PM
prius did you used to ride dirt or did a dirt rider tell you about the front brake being bad? Cause on dirt the front brake isnt a good idea.