PDA

View Full Version : changing coolant for water???

nate357159
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I'm planning on attending the track day this weekend and I'm in the middle of an oil / coolant change. One of the requirements for the track is that your coolant is changed out for straight water.

I'm worried about this because I'm riding my bike to Denver to load up for Pueblo and I think I might overheat / boil!?!

Is my bike gonna be ok with just water as long as it doesn't freeze?

should I go get a can of water wetter for it???

can I ride it around with just water?

it's a GSX-R 1000, runs around 225 hot.

THANKS!!

konichd
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 05:18 PM
^^I personally would never run straight water. I like to use water wetter and water in combination and I've never had a problem. Make sure to flush your system good, you can do this by filling it with water and flushing it 3-4 times to get rid of all the green coolant. Water Wetter works as a detergent and breaks down the surface tension thus giving you more efficient cooling.

McVaaahhh
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM
+1 for Water Wetter. You can pick it up at pretty much any auto-parts store.

Use distilled water, not tap water. :up:

Your bike will be just fine. Just remember to change it back to anti-freeze before the winter.

nate357159
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM
sweet, thanks guys!

mayhem
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
all i run is straight water in my street and race bike all summer...never had a problem.......................

jimwallace
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 05:34 PM
i also have run straight water without problems

Repsol a095
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I have run distilled water for the last two years without any problems!! Save your money, and remember to drain it out before the cold temps set in!!!

CurtisRR
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Antifreeze is well ANTI freeze. It's cooling properties are not nearly as effective as straight distilled water. Now the addition of water wetter will also help lubricate the cooling system as antifreeze does. If you go with straight distilled water you are fine but would want to restore the antifreeze for the winter or store your bike above freezing.. If you don't go back to antifreeze then I would add water wetter.

highpsi03
Thu Jul 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Antifreeze is well ANTI freeze. It's cooling properties are not nearly as effective as straight distilled water. Now the addition of water wetter will also help lubricate the cooling system as antifreeze does. If you go with straight distilled water you are fine but would want to restore the antifreeze for the winter or store your bike above freezing.. If you don't go back to antifreeze then I would add water wetter.
You are right, and wrong.. Water cools better but antifreeze helps raise the boiling point of the water thus i believe that it is better in the end to run atleast a 70/30mix. But like said above use water wetter on track days