PDA

View Full Version : A couple different Q's

Fly boy
Sat Jul 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
n00b needs some help again, but its pretty simple stuff.

Backstory: I took the Vstar in for what I thought was an oil leak, and it turns out the crank case gasket is what needs replaced. Upon inspection the stealership said I need new brakes front and back, drive shaft oil change, new tire, and a few other things that I could do myself.

My questions:

How hard is it to change drive shaft oil?

How hard is it to change a tire on the rear with a shaft drive bike?

Brakes... any recommendations?

Tires.... Can you have 2 different types of tires, i.e. Bridgstone XXX up front and a Dunlop XXX on the rear?

mayhem
Sat Jul 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM
dont know about shaft oil, etc. but i do know you DONT want to mix match tires......

PhL0aTeR
Sat Jul 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM
n00b needs some help again, but its pretty simple stuff.

Backstory: I took the Vstar in for what I thought was an oil leak, and it turns out the crank case gasket is what needs replaced. Upon inspection the stealership said I need new brakes front and back, drive shaft oil change, new tire, and a few other things that I could do myself.

My questions:

How hard is it to change drive shaft oil?

How hard is it to change a tire on the rear with a shaft drive bike?

Brakes... any recommendations?

Tires.... Can you have 2 different types of tires, i.e. Bridgstone XXX up front and a Dunlop XXX on the rear?

Drive shaft oil: easy, about like changing engine oil except no filter...

Tire on the rear: harder than the driveshaft oil, but still fairly easy if you have a jack and basic tools.

I usually use EBC for brake type stuff..... but definately get your stuff for the back when you take the wheel off, im assuming you have a drum in the rear so it has to come off anyhow.

but i do know you DONT want to mix match tires......

I could google it, but why dont you want to put 2 different brands of tires on?

Fly boy
Sat Jul 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Phloater, thanks for the tips.

I do have disc brakes in the rear as well.

As for the Tire thing.... I didn't think you wanted to either because of different compounds. One might grip while the other will slip etc. But I wanted to ask first.

mayhem
Sun Jul 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM
not only different compounds, but your have different warm up time,different profiles,etc. just not a good idea.........

PhL0aTeR
Sun Jul 27th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Phloater, thanks for the tips.

I do have disc brakes in the rear as well.

ahhh disc brakes FTW.... my volusia had a drum in the rear... was a pain for brakes.... lol

not only different compounds, but your have different warm up time,different profiles,etc. just not a good idea.........

I assumed that was the reason as well but usually thought that was a suggestion rather than a rule.... i had run different tires on my cruiser when i had it mostly cuz the rear wore out faster than the front and i wanted whitewalls, so i just got whatever was cheap for the rear waiting for the front to wear down enough to justify it to myself to change it. I didnt think the star would be hittin the twisties quite like an R1 or the like for it to be an issue.

dm_gsxr
Sun Jul 27th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Do you have the service manual for the bike? It'll have instructions on how to change the shaft oil including the right oil and the torque specs. I like the hard copy manual for my bikes just because I get all greasy working on the bike but I'm sure, at least for now, you can chase down an electronic copy for reference.

Carl

Fly boy
Sun Jul 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I am trying to google a downloadable but can't find it anywhere. I have a feeling I am going to have to breakdown and just buy the book.

Like phloater..... would it be a problem if I had 2 different tires? there are no canyons where I'm at, and the bike is used for either long trips, or just short ones around town to toat the wiff.

dm_gsxr
Sun Jul 27th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I think in part it depends on how you ride. I have two different brands on mine right now and I'm just not feeling confident on it in corners because of how it feels. I can't say it's because of the tires but that's the only thing that's changed recently. And I don't really ride hard. Commuting right now pretty much not including the 8,000 mile round trip to Alaska :)

Your mileage may vary of course.

Carl

Fly boy
Sun Jul 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I was thinking of puting on a harder compound tire for long trips. Was it a Metzler Z? that you can do 16,000 miles on it?

dm_gsxr
Sun Jul 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM
When I kept track for my trip to Labrador (9,300 miles), I used a single rear Metzler Z6 and it lasted for a total of 14,000 miles. If I hadn't pulled a dime sized chunk of the Z6 out of the tire while up in Alaska, I'd likely still be on it.

So I like Metzlers for my riding style and it does seem to hold up reasonably well.

Carl

Fly boy
Mon Jul 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I am thinking I am going to do the unthinkable and put the Metzler on the back with my dunlop front. I do to much flat land to not do it.

Thanks for the tip's all, time to buy a book and get myself dirty

Jim_Vess
Fri Aug 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
It's a cruiser, you can mix tire brands with no worry. I know several people that have run a Dunlop on the front and a Metzeler on the rear with no problems.

I ran Metzeler ME880's on my old V Star 1100. They were great tires with pretty good grip. They also last about 14,000 miles. I don't think they make a Roadtec Z6 to fit the V Star.

Get yourself the Clymer's for the V Star. IMO, it is much better than the Yamaha manual, not to mention a lot cheaper.

Check out the V Star 1100 Riders forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/yamaha1100/

Fly boy
Fri Aug 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the Tip, I will have to check and see about that ME880 tire.

I check out the forum, didn't really like the setup but still poked around. I am buying the clymers from ebay for $20 and going to start doing just about everything for myself. I LOATHE dealerships now.

Scer
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Running two different tires is not going to hurt at all. There is no difference in doing that then running two different types of tires from the same brand. I.E. Dunlop 211 in front and 209 in rear. Especially on the street.. Although not the "prettiest" choice, it doesn't hurt anything. As long as the sizes of old to new tire are same, otherwise you get into suspension set up changes.

mix on mixas

RF900guy
Sat Aug 9th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Some thing else you might think about when replacing tire is this. The Metzeler ME880 tires are a bias-ply tire. I believe the Z6 tires might be a radial ply tire. If you are going to run different brands of tires, make look at the construction of those tires. It may not make that much difference over all but just be aware.

My V-Max also has these same issues. I had the local dealer replace the tire when it was worn. I have the shop manual in a pdf format and refer to it every now and then when it requires work. At least I can print out the pages and have then on hand while I am out work on the bike.

Fly boy
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 08:13 AM
going on a trip to AZ on the bike, so I will be buying a tire here shortly(within a month).

Are disc brake pads on a bike similar to a car, how they wear? Or do they wear faster?

dm_gsxr
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I have 86,000 miles on the 'busa and am on my second set of front pads. It's about time to change them as they're getting thin :)

Carl

Jim_Vess
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM
going on a trip to AZ on the bike, so I will be buying a tire here shortly(within a month).

Are disc brake pads on a bike similar to a car, how they wear? Or do they wear faster?

Are you still using OEM pads? The OEM pads on my VStar only lasted 8,000 miles on the front brakes. I replaced them with EBC pads and they still had a lot of pad left when I traded the bike at 12,000 miles.

Fly boy
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Are you still using OEM pads? The OEM pads on my VStar only lasted 8,000 miles on the front brakes. I replaced them with EBC pads and they still had a lot of pad left when I traded the bike at 12,000 miles.

yes, and the guys at the dealer were saying I needed new brakes all around. I didn't know if I should believe them or not so I was going to check them when I do the tire. Sounds like they wear a little faster then a cars brakes.

dm_gsxr
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I'm using EBC pads too.

Carl

Fly boy
Thu May 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM
where is a good place to get tires either online or somewhere north of Denver? They want a TON up here.

edit: I need a meztler ME880 170-80-15

dm_gsxr
Thu May 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
How far north? Performance Cycle in Denver on Broadway seems to have the best prices but they don't mount tires. Epic in Longmont so far has the best combined prices (tire + mount) I've found so far but I'm no expert :)

Carl

Fly boy
Thu May 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Found the tire online for $152. Just really need a place to mount.

Also, for breaks, sounds like they wear faster then car's, but do the fronts wear more then the rear as well?

TFOGGuys
Thu May 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I've got 'em in stock, as well as the brake pads (EBC). PM or call me for pricing.

dm_gsxr
Thu May 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I really have to head down to TFOG one of these days. I'm going to be needing a new front and rear pair of Z6's, a new chain and rear sprocket before heading out in August, and a set of EBC pads.

After we move though :)

Carl

Jim_Vess
Thu May 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Also, for breaks, sounds like they wear faster then car's, but do the fronts wear more then the rear as well?

Most of your braking force (over 70%) comes from the front brakes. Unless you ride the rear brake, the front pads wear out sooner.